CrazyBoards.org

how do you take your prozac, one single dose or divided doses?

My doc just upped my dose from 20 mg to 40 mg. She wanted to prescribe it to be taken in two doses. Morning and Afternoon. Since i'm having sleep issues from prozac she said i can take it in one single dose in the morning. I'm tolerating the 20 mg well, no major side effects so far. But i'm worried if i take it in one single dose rather than divided doses it'll increase my chances of experiencing side effects. Any thoughts?

If you're tolerating 20mg okay, you're not going necessarily going to experience side effects up at 40mg. Maybe try it out & see how you go, one way or the other? It's been a while since I took Prozac but I think I took mine all at once & had no issues. the only one that was split for me was mirtazapine just because I felt like I wasnt sleeping as well on the higher dose which ended up being a non-issue.

6 hours ago, ravdeep said:

My doc just upped my dose from 20 mg to 40 mg. She wanted to prescribe it to be taken in two doses. Morning and Afternoon. Since i'm having sleep issues from prozac she said i can take it in one single dose in the morning. I'm tolerating the 20 mg well, no major side effects so far. But i'm worried if i take it in one single dose rather than divided doses it'll increase my chances of experiencing side effects. Any thoughts?

I just take it all at once, and I have been on many different levels ... but no matter the dose, I took it all at once.

The half-life is long enough so that once per day dosing is fine. However, I'd tell my concerns to my pdoc and let her change the actual dosing schedule. This keeps both of you on the same page with respect to side effects and what's going on with you. 

Edited by jt07