CrazyBoards.org

Smoking and bipolar

Hi. I was somewhat recently diagnosed as bipolar. I was just wondering does anyone else find it relatively easy to quit smoking. But then start smoking again for maybe a few weeks and then quit smoking cold turkey again? 

In the past 7 months or so i stopped when i was ip...didnt feel any cravings really. Actually didnt even think about smokes in ip.

I still didnt smoke for about 2 weeks after being home. Then i picked it back up for about 2.5 months. Then i quit. 

I bought a black n mild cigar one day since i quit but didnt inhale it after i googled how much nicotine was in it. The past few days ive really had the urge to have a smoke or two.

Anyone else find it pretty easy to quit smoking, then turn around and smoke and then quit again? Im wondering what kind of connection if any there is between the flip flopping back and forth on smoking and bipolar?? 

I would strongly advise against having even just one cigarette. It can very quickly spiral into a pack a day habit, or more. Quitting is usually really awful somewhere in the 3-5 day range, and you're not really out of the woods until you've quit for an entire month. After that, you may have an occasional urge, but it passes quickly.

I had to move and force my best friend to find his own place, because I simply couldn't stay quit while he was around. There was just too much temptation all the time. He died of lung cancer almost 3 years ago. His sister, mother, and father all died from smoking, and his younger brother died from a drug overdose, because the cops were on their way and he wanted to get rid of the stash before they got there without throwing it out. 

And my best friend even had cancer from smoking in 2001. And he still never quit. I'm glad I had another 12-1/2 years with my best friend, but because of him, I quit 5 times, and started up 5 times after his initial cancer. I have been smoke-free for over 4 years now, and I cannot even imagine being chained to cigarettes again. I won't be friends with someone who smokes now, except online, because the temptation is just way too great. And it's a painful reminder of losing my best friend of 22 years. And I lost so many other people along the way that I wouldn't even know where to start. 

Do yourself a favor a quit for good. It can certainly be done, even wit MI.

Flash, most ex-smokers can't be around other smokers, but for some reason, I can. I think it might be because I had family members (not my parents) who smoked while I was growing up. My aunt died of a smoking related cancer (not lung cancer, in other words). She was already sick when I quit 15 years ago, and it was grim.

Oh, and for the OP, I only had serious urges the first 3 or 4 days, then another month of weaker and weaker urges. I didn't have trouble after that. I have repeatedly had a dream where I suddenly realize I am smoking, and I worry about how upset my husband will be. That's the only time I think about cigarettes anymore.

Edited by crtclms

10 hours ago, Lins88 said:

Hi. I was somewhat recently diagnosed as bipolar. I was just wondering does anyone else find it relatively easy to quit smoking. But then start smoking again for maybe a few weeks and then quit smoking cold turkey again? 

Anyone else find it pretty easy to quit smoking, then turn around and smoke and then quit again? Im wondering what kind of connection if any there is between the flip flopping back and forth on smoking and bipolar?? 

In response to your question Lins, I relate to what you described completely. I can turn it on and completely turn it off without urges.

I understand all the health stuff, I get that...smoking is bad. But so is my mood and maybe that has something to do with the connection.

I started smoking when I was IP and it was still legal to have smoking areas. Stupidest fucking thing ever. Smokes went from $5 a pack (of 25) to $12, min. I quit, relapsed. I've quit hard drugs, and had an easier time. And I've been off hard drugs for 7 years with no cravings. People do them all around me all the time. I wasn't technically? addicted. 

Smokings expensive, it smells, they banned menthol in most of Canada, so on Jan 1, my smokes were contraband, and I can't stand regular. Vaping makes me puke. (I cough so much I puke) My parents spend $22/day on cigarettes. My dads bipolar and is at his worst when he tries to quit, he never does, he hits the bottle and starts smoking again after making us miserable. And he had a heart attack at 61, after he quit smoking and taking his BP meds. (bipolar meds)

I'm 2 months smoke free and constantly crave. I can't get what I crave. They regulate nicotine at the border so hard. (I live near 3 crossings)

I've quit so many times. I also work with sometimes dangerous, sometimes not, fumes all day, and hate respirators which can slip or lose their seal if you sweat. Wear full body head to toe protective gear in 40 C (over 100 F) plus humidity and try to keep that sealed. So its probably best I stay off smokes now.

I've found that I have an easier time quitting if I'm hypomanic. I impulsively quit the last time I was hypo. I went almost three weeks. Then I got really hypomanic, almost manic, and I impulsively started up again. I quit again a week ago, because I was reminded of the fact that smoking while on birth control can cause an increased risk of blood clots. It's been hard, but not as hard as it is when I'm depressed. So, it's pretty clear to me that my mood state affects the ease of quitting. It also affects the amount I smoke. When I'm baseline, I smoke considerably less than when I'm hypo or depressed. I don't know why it is that way, yet it makes a little sense to me.