CrazyBoards.org

Missing the feeling of connectedness

Hi everyone!

First things first, I was diagnosed with BP2 a little over a  year ago, and I'm currently on 200mg Lamictal, 10mg Abilify, and 1mg Ativan (just started, for sleep).

The first 2 meds have been working pretty well for me, though I've only been on them for about 3 months. What's been crappy, though, is that I don't have that expansive, connected, spiritual feeling anymore. It used to be semi-common for me. While it would usually precede a low for me, I still treasured those days. I felt like I was vibrating on the same frequency as everything else. I would feel love for all things in existence and would be unable to stop smiling. It was great! But now that these meds have leveled me out, that feeling is missing from my life. I mentioned this to my pdoc, and he said that most people just keep memories of times like that rather than ever experiencing it again. That just seems like such a damn neurotypical and invalidating thing to say. As in, he must have never had that feeling of connectedness if he thinks a memory can be a substitute. 

How have you folks dealt with the lose of that feeling? Or have you not lost it? Any comments welcome.

I totally get where you're coming from. Even though I know how bad mania can get for me, I still revel in that feeling whenever it happens. It's hard to let go, but oh so important to let go. For me at least it doesn't lead anywhere good.

• Like 1

Want to welcome  you to CB!

3 hours ago, BipolarBicyclist said:

I mentioned this to my pdoc, and he said that most people just keep memories of times like that rather than ever experiencing it again. That just seems like such a damn neurotypical and invalidating thing to say. As in, he must have never had that feeling of connectedness if he thinks a memory can be a substitute. 

What an asshole for saying that. 

(bold) You're right, it is.