CrazyBoards.org

nervousbat

Sounds like this guy has his own problems. It's easy for me to say don't worry about it because at the time it feels like an attack and a prophecy of feel like you're going to be a victim of something coming true so it really does knock you when these things do happen. Was this in the library? Could you make a complaint?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nervousbat said:

Also I need to ask you, do you think that verbal attacks don't count as an attack? I can't agree with this. If it causes pain and causes major problems down the road like trauma or mental illness, than it counts as an attack and is unacceptable. 

I think the verbal attacks do count as an attack.  It is like emotional abuse.

(in bold) Exactly right.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nervousbat said:

Also I need to ask you, do you think that verbal attacks don't count as an attack? I can't agree with this.

Hmm, that wouldn't really be something you could go to the police for if that's what you meant by attack. But no, in general verbal attacks do count as attacks. Does shouting racist slurs at people not count as attacks? Of course they don't.

22 hours ago, nervousbat said:

My parents say I shouldn't let them walk away, that I should confront them and ask them to repeat themselves/ask them "what did you say?" But what would be the poin

Well it's your choice in how you handle it really. You don't need to confront people like that if you don't want to. It would help you confidence if you were more aggressive. It's understandable why you're not though.

7 hours ago, nervousbat said:

Yeah, the police definitely don't take verbal attacks seriously. I think our society is still very prone to victim-blaming. When a woman gets raped they often get asked by the police stuff like "What did you do to seduce him? What were you wearing?" And really it doesn't matter what she was wearing or what she did, if a man rapes a woman it is never okay.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nervousbat said:

Yeah, the police definitely don't take verbal attacks seriously. I think our society is still very prone to victim-blaming. When a woman gets raped they often get asked by the police stuff like "What did you do to seduce him? What were you wearing?" And really it doesn't matter what she was wearing or what she did, if a man rapes a woman it is never okay.

All the police I have ever run into are bullies.  I have never met a cop who wasn't one.

Gotta love those police out there!  Same thing (like the verbal attacks) happens with MI.  When they find that out, everything, and I mean everything, changes tone and that is what they start focusing on; not the reason they were called.

The place to start if you're harassed in the library is with the librarian on duty. Chances are you're not the only person who's had trouble with this guy. The staff needs to know if there's a problem with one of the patrons, so appropriate measures can be taken to keep the library safe and welcoming for everyone.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, at least where I live, libraries tend to be sanctuaries of last resort for mean, mentally untreated ;-0 people.  Definitely report to the librarian next time, and stay away from "odd looking" (if that's such a thing) people. You didn't deserve that treatment, and try to take it as a sign of the mean person's issues rather than something you deserved (difficult, I know.)  Best to you.  :loved: