CrazyBoards.org

Spouse Interest Level

I'm wondering if anyone's partner looked into bp and took an interest into it?  I have only had BP2 for amount a little less than a month (diagnosis wise).  She is a researcher/looker upper by nature but not when it comes to this.  I don't think she believes me.  It kinda bothers me.  I tried to talk to her about it but she seems to think I'm over reacting.  I'm not though. I would think she would be interested in my struggle if she loved me.  

My husband is not interested in learning about my illness. He feels like he knows me. I could direct him to all kinds of resources, too. I dont think it is a sign that he doesnt care about me, though. He just doesnt see ir as a priority. 

He doesnt really research much in general.

My husband, when I was married (I am long since divorced), had no interest in researching or learning about my diagnosis. He just wanted me to get a grip, snap out of it, and quit spending our money on appointments and such. I would have been OK with not researching if the rest hadn't gone with it. I think whether you get understanding and support is the key. Also, some spouses do look things up on the sly or ask their friends. I don't think it's a sign of love either way, I think it's the attitude and support you get (or don't) that counts most. But that's my opinion, based on my experience. 

My husband is not particularly interested in researching my illness. That bothered me a little at first, but then I realized he was at least counting on me to give him some information. He's also very supportive: letting me know when he thinks my mood is shifting, helping me with therapy goals, etc. Still, I don't think it's necessarily a sign of her not loving you enough. It may be that she doesn't want to accept it because she cares about you so much. I believe that's why my grandma doesn't accept my diagnosis.

My husband has the rough outlines of BP illness. He hasn't read much, but I tell him everything I know. He isn't always the best at telling when I'm having a mood change, but he's very supportive once I tell him I am. In his defense, he has trouble reading faces, he's in the 13% percentile of people for facial recognition.