CrazyBoards.org

Is this normal behavior for a child?

I have a question about childhood behavior and whether or not it is normal for a child to experience this.  A little girl I know, since 2 1/2 years old when mad would turn into something I don't know how to describe.  Basically, when she disagreed with her mom or got mad about something, her eyes would glaze over and it would appear as though she was possessed by a demon.  Now I know she isn't, so don't worry about the religious implications.  It's just the best way to describe it.  The first time it happened, it freaked her mom out.  Now this little girl is an extremely strong-willed child, but this sudden behavior change when mad doesn't seem normal.

She had her first depression at about 4 years old because of a move to another state.  And because of the depression and axiety, she didn't talk for a year.  So, there is obviously some MI issues (runs on both sides of family).  I'm just not sure exactly if this whole 'eyes glazing over and acting possessed' is just a childhood thing that a lot of kids experience or if it is MI related.  I don't have any kids of my own, so I thought I'd go to other parents to see what their experiences have been.

Anyone have any ideas?

er.

i don't know if it is "normal" but i've seen my siblings, esp. my brother do that.  eyes glaze over demon mode.  it's actually kinda scary.  but my siblings, being related to me and all, have their own issues... mostly sensory issues and add.  i don't know what on earth happens when the eyes glaze over, but i just thank my stars that i've never been alone with him when it happens because full blown demon tantrums are not for the faint of heart.

i hope this kid is seeing a therapist... not talking for a year is pretty extreme.

I have a 4 year old neice who is being closely observed due to extreme meltdowns (WAAYYY beyond temper tantrum) and the mentally interesting family history (this is hubby's sister's kid). Being unable to channel emotions IS a kid thing. Kids will have temper tantrums. But if it is happening consistantly (and way to the extreme) and it doesn't improve as she gets older (gains more verbal skills, is able to express herself, etc..) she is going to have to be watched carefully.

Behavior like you described is why my cute little neice is "Under Observation"...meaning they are charting her moods and reporting back to the doctor. BP is definately suspected...after all two of her uncles and one aunt are BP.

I actually used to do that sometimes (Ok. Often.) as a kid.

Doctor said it was a form of dysphoric mania.

Eyes glaze over, start demolishing things. If locked in a room rip the door out of the wall. Always a great trait in your nine or ten year old. :/

Pretty much I just stayed sedated till I grew out of it.

This was 15 years ago, though, so I'm sure megadoses of sedatives are probably a last resort now.

Were it me, I'd have it evaluated. Kids can, do, and will lose control sometimes, and yeah they can seem like little crazy things at times, and this is not always abnormal. Even "sudden mood changes" can be normal at certain periods of development.

But given the fact that she has had other probs (not talking for a year is pretty significant!) and that her ability to deal with her anger does not seem to be improving with time/maturity (you did not mention how old she is now?) that could definitely be something that needs to be looked into. It could be a simple matter of helping her learn better ways to deal with her anger and frustration before it escalates to the point of demonic possession ( ;) ) or it could be a sign of a larger problem in the making. Either way, it never hurts to get it checked out with a professional if the parent is concerned.

Take care,

~Faith

• 2 months later...

My brother, sister, and I all had the "demonic eye glaze over thing" I never acted on it (until 19 and after and then it was freaking heinous) but my sis and brother did as children. Very scary to watch. Make sure you stay in constant contact with support services(docs, therapists, social workers, whatever). We  had none being below the poverty line and my parents constantly saying that we were just "ill-tempered" and would eventually be fine(Although they spent a good deal of their time trying to kill one another in rage fits). My nieces and nephews now evidence the exact same behaviors. Gotta love genetics...

Lilie

Archived