Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I take 2400 mg of gabapentin a day (800x3) and it took me several months to get to this dosage. All the doctors I spoke to about gabapentin said that I needed to slowly work my way up to that dosage, allowing my body at least a few weeks to get used to each increase and see how I felt. I can only assume that if I were to stop taking gabapentin, I would similarly have to reduce it gradually over time and not just go cold turkey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2017 at 1:56 PM, Flash said:

Sedation is my holy grail. And unfortunately there's only one med that delivers it anymore: doxepin. And even that only gets me 5 hours, if I'm lucky. I haven't tried amiltriptylene yet, though, and I hope that will do the trick, because that's the last ordinary one I haven't tried. Maybe haldol? Has anyone ever used that for sleep? 

Don't have any experience with haldol, but 100mg thorazine has helped my sleep.....I get 7-9 hours a night.

However, thorazine was a last line choice for me when everything else didn't work out......If I were you, I would try the amitriptyline first before trying an antipsychotic..

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gabapentin in really high doses causes a sense of euphoria and a paradoxical "activation" or feeling speedy. I used to work at an alcohol and drug detox, and many, maaany clients were on gabapentin (very common among the substance abuse population) for a slew of various disorders. They call them "johnnies" and they would literally take fistfuls to get absolutely stoned off their asses. Its a relatively common problem in the Boston area. Lyrica, because its structurally related, also attracts the same audience.

Edited by mjs190
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2017 at 6:00 PM, mjs190 said:

Gabapentin in really high doses causes a sense of euphoria and a paradoxical "activation" or feeling speedy. I used to work at an alcohol and drug detox, and many, maaany clients were on gabapentin (very common among the substance abuse population) for a slew of various disorders. They call them "johnnies" and they would literally take fistfuls to get absolutely stoned off their asses. Its a relatively common problem in the Boston area. Lyrica, because its structurally related, also attracts the same audience.

I regard anticonvulsants as a class of meds you don't mess with because if you stop taking them suddenly you could have a seizure and die.  Could ingesting large quantities for kicks cause the same problem?

Edited by wookie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wookie said:

I regard anticonvulsants as a class of meds you don't mess with because if you stop taking them suddenly you could have a seizure and die.  Could ingesting large quantities for kicks cause the same problem?

I would say it absolutely could cause a problem, especially if there's an underlying seizure disorder and/or the person does this frequently. Effectively overdosing on any kind of medication is a bad idea, but to your point an antiepileptic drug could be especially dangerous for sure. 

Edited by mjs190
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah mjs is correct, it's not just about feeling drugged or sedated or out of it... It's definitely recreational in high doses.  Doctors are becoming *slightly* more aware of this.  I'm a recovering alcoholic and had my struggles with heroin and crack which doctors knew so never gave me benzos but handed me gabapentin like candy.  I actually preferred gabapentin to benzos to be honest as it enhanced all my drugs of choice greatly and was very strong on its own.  I'd never go near it again, and anyone wiTh a hint of a drug problem shouldn't fool themselves into thinking this is a safe alternative to benzos 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 11:47 AM, Flash said:

 And morphine never made me high, even the first time I took it. 

When I was in hospital for gall stones, my pain was a 10. More like an 11 because I had a stone stuck in the billiary tube. Ouch! Morphine did *nothing* for the pain, nor did it make me goofy in the slightest. Know what they put me on that was stronger than morphine, and had only a slight impact on the pain? Sythentic heroin. Good greif! That freaked me out a bit, when they told me that was what was in my body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

When I was in hospital for gall stones, my pain was a 10. More like an 11 because I had a stone stuck in the billiary tube. Ouch! Morphine did *nothing* for the pain, nor did it make me goofy in the slightest. Know what they put me on that was stronger than morphine, and had only a slight impact on the pain? Sythentic heroin. Good greif! That freaked me out a bit, when they told me that was what was in my body.

Most likely fentanyl, a standard synthetic opioid used quite often once morphine does not work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mum took Lyrica once for a back problem and she was so out of it. Swaying and looking all dreamy. She said it was wonderful! I guess it affects some people like that. I found high doses to have a benzodiazepine like effect, made me feel relaxed, tipsy and sleep well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

Danger! Danger! Last thursday I took 300mg gabapentin and blacked out. I did stupid stuff, apparently, while blacked out and even drove. be careful!

Did you take something else with the gabapentin that could have caused that reaction?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, melissaw72 said:

Did you take something else with the gabapentin that could have caused that reaction?

Nope just my usual 600mg morning dose of gabapentin. My pdoc stopped me off of that. It was pretty bad. I don't know how it happened or why. I fell asleep at work and someone reported me and I got called into the office and I remember bits and peices of it. My friend tried to get some food into me and I spilled a milkshake in her car. I had her driving all over town for food. It was awful. I behaved like someone who is drunk when they black out. Not fun. 

 

YMMV but this happened to me and the only thing we could attribute it to was gabapentin. My pdoc said it wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

i have been on gabapentin for a long time.. i am 6ft 2 and weigh around 300lbs... the dose for me to get high on this stuff is stupid high... like around 24,000mg... thats 30 600mg pills at once.. i take a high dose daily at 1200mg twice a day... the effects at the 24,000mg dose is no different than taking around 1000mg of lyrica.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jeclear said:

i have been on gabapentin for a long time.. i am 6ft 2 and weigh around 300lbs... the dose for me to get high on this stuff is stupid high... like around 24,000mg... thats 30 600mg pills at once.. i take a high dose daily at 1200mg twice a day... the effects at the 24,000mg dose is no different than taking around 1000mg of lyrica.  

Erm... That must be that "new math" I've heard about. Using the "old math", 30 x 600mg = 18,000mg. And a twice-daily 1,200mg dose of gabapentin = 2,400mg, not 24,000mg. So, either a) your daily dose is equivalent to 100mg of lyrica instead of 1,000mg, b) you're taking way more than your daily dosage, c) you suck at math, d) you have no idea what you're saying at all, or e) all of the above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/4/2017 at 9:28 PM, Yuna said:

WATCH OUT! GABAPENTIN CAUSE BAD BAD WITHDRAWAL. I WAS ON 600mg for sleep for 2 years, you will get sick sick when you quit.

 

I've seen the other posts about gabapentin withdrawal. I'm using it to help give up clonazepam (10 years at 2mg per night and before that 40mg of diazepam per night also for 10 years and a few times before that).

I guess I am replacing one addiction with another? Could gabapentin withdrawal be as bad and hard as benzo withdrawal? I've cold turkeyed off Valium before. Really really really bad... The worst experience of my life and very dangerous, although I knew no better back then. Fool that I am I went back on it.

 I'm taking 300-400mg gabapentin per night and have for a few months now. I can't quit that as well as clonazepam.

Edited by matthew beech
Spelling error, added dosage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was taking 2400 mg of gabapentin a day (800x3). I am currently in the process of going off gabapentin because we've finally identified and addressed the problem that was necessitating the gabapentin. My doctors recommended I drop my dosage gradually and wait at least two weeks before dropping dosage again to give my brain a chance to acclimate. I went from 800x3 to 600x3 with no adverse effects. Since then I've gone from 600x3 to 400x3 and then 300x3, which is my current dose. I haven't had any adverse effects at all.

Quitting gabapentin cold turkey is a really bad idea, for all the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gabapentin, and essentially anything that works on GABA receptors, was the argument being put forth, has abuse potential.

But there is a substantial difference between tolerance and addiction, @matthew beech.

Tolerance is a physiological process whereby the body adapts to a substance such that in the absence of that substance physiological withdrawal symptoms occur. Addiction is a psychological process with physiological consequences when a substance is used to escape unpleasantness or gain an altered state of consciousness even so much that it causes problems in living. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...