CrazyBoards.org

I'm traveling alone

I haven't really done much traveling, and when I have, it's always been with someone else.  Plus, I had a flying phobia for a long time, but I recently made it through a short (~2hr) flight without too many problems.

I've decided to visit some friend in England in a few months.  I've already bought the tickets...but I'm very anxious about it!  I just never really go anywhere, and I especially don't go anywhere on my own.  I'm hoping it will be really nice but I am so nervous.  I'm trying to remind myself that my boss flies ALL of the time (I book his tickets) and he's fine, so I will be too.  BUT...I'm still really scared and nervous.  In the back of my head I just worry that "something" will go wrong, even though I don't really know what it could or would be.

Hi:

I was a 6 Blood Mary flier for years. Then I stopped drinking and had to come up with another solution. I mean, we know that this is the safest form of travel, but for the infrequent flier, it can be nerve wracking. I know, I have GAD. We are worriers!

My husband I am came up with the Perfect Flying Plan for me. So here it is and maybe some of it will work for you.

1) be sure and eat a good breakfast with protein. Stay away from sugar that morning, coffee too. If you HAVE to have coffee, like I do, make sure you have it well before you are going to board.

2) give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, go through security etc. I was of the school "the least amount of time I have to be there, the better" - but this actually is worse. Give yourself lots of time, relax, and the people watching is great if you end up having to wait.

3) Buy at least two magazines. A trashy one, and one that interests you. I always buy People magazine so that I can just look at the pictures of the cute boys while taking off ( my worst time) - then get something to read that you like. Reading takes your mind off what ever is going on, and makes the time pass.

4) bring along a healthy snack. Airplane food sucks.

5) bring an mp3 player with SOOTHING music rather than head banging stuff. My husband loaded me up with some great music. AND we invested in a great set of headphones. You want to be comfortable and you want to block out what is going on around you. I now own a set of noise cancellation headphones.

6) OK, you are ready. Got a benzo? If not, ask your p-doc if you can have "something" for flying. Explain your discomfort. I have seen even the toughest p-doc's give out a something for flying. Take this 30 minutes before take off.

7) I usually sit on the aisle. Not a fan of looking out the window and I have long legs.

So you want to be sure you are in a calm a state as possible, make sure you have eaten, and have something to read.

The 6 Bloody Mary's was a drag btw. I just ended up hung over when I got there. You can do this with simple distractions instead. And if you don't like to read? Look into buying one of those small DVD players. I have one of those too. (Yes, I have a lot of toys.)

Good luck - your trip sounds great!

Breeze

Devon

I hate flying, use to love it, but.....then I got sober.

Anyway, I use alot of self-talk, comparing auto travel to air travel, then I self medicate, then I pray, then I chat up the person next to me like some kind of idiot, and you can't even start screaming and try to run off the plane these days, they shoot ya for that.

I guess I'm not helping, just commiserating with you. Really, I do have to take an ativan, and when the drink cart comes along...you know the rest.

Don't let it stop you though, it feels so good when you land.

Good luck, Sylvia

I hate to fly...I usually only do it medicated to the gills.

The suggestions you already got are great but I have a few more that helped me the one time I had to fly alone.

1. If you can try to take a flight that is not packed solid. I've never flown internationally so I don't know if that's possible. But in my opinion the less people on the flight the better.

2. Call the airline ahead of time and explain that you have an anxiety disorder. They can usually do something to help make you more comfortable. Switching your seat around, making sure you know where you know where to go when you get off the plane, etc. It may seem embarassing, but they want you to be as comfortable and calm as possible on the flight, and are very understanding about people who have real issues flying.

Airplanes aside, I love travelling by myself. It's incredibly freeing to go wherever you want, without a timetable.

Have fun!

edited because I'm not making any sense lately

Archived