CrazyBoards.org

I feel that I have a little problem with binge drinking.  The problem is as follows.  I'm a very anxious person, and alcohol makes me confident and relaxed in social situations.  I do not drink alone.  I don't drink very often...only maybe every 3-4 weeks when I go out).

There are no alcoholics, drug addicts, or gamblers in my entire family, so I really feel that my issue is more one of poor judgment and low self esteem than physical craving or addiction.

I really want to practice moderation.  For those of you who have been successful with this/are working on this, how does it work?  To make matters even more difficult, I am a small person and I think my antidepressant makes me more vulnerable to the effects of alcohol. 

I could try to stop drinking completely...I think I'd be able to do it, but it would be a drag because then I'm very shy and inhibited and don't enjoy myself as much at parties.  I think alcohol can be very fun used in moderation, but it's been hard for me to always judge the right amount to allow myself to drink.  I have talked to my doctor about this.  I have never blacked out (forgotten large stretches of time) but occasionally I forget short blocks of time or something I've said.

The last bit is that I keep meeting guys when I'm out drinking...and I feel a little bit guilty about it.  I've only had one one night stand but I've kissed a lot of different guys while under the influence.  I don't know if this is a big deal or not but I feel that when I drink a desire for human contact comes out...and it's coming from a desperate, lonely part of my personality.  This part makes me sad because this part of my personality is usually subconscious and hidden.

I really want to practice moderation.  For those of you who have been successful with this/are working on this, how does it work?  To make matters even more difficult, I am a small person and I think my antidepressant makes me more vulnerable to the effects of alcohol. 

i had a pretty bad binging problem, and for me it was a lot more frequent, so (working with my tdoc) i stopped all drinking for 3 months.  it was a really illuminating time for me because i continued to hang out with the same people, only i didn't drink.  watching the effects of alcohol on people while sober is a good way to alter your relationship with drinking.  drunk people aren't so fun when you aren't drunk as well, they're actually kinda annoying.

after the 3 months i worked on re-introducing alcohol slowly.  like a glass of wine with dinner.  and never more than 2 drinks.  for a long time i kept my drinking confined to small gatherings where i would have been comfortable without alcohol anyway.  (if that makes sense) 

parties are still a problem for me, esp. if ther are a lot of strangers.  honestly, usually i have a friend make sure i stop at the second drink when i'm at a party, because my nerves still get to me in large groups and i start to think that a third drink would be ok... and then it all goes to hell from there.

for me 2 is where i can stop.  3 and i go to 10... but it's different for everyone.

The last bit is that I keep meeting guys when I'm out drinking...and I feel a little bit guilty about it.  I've only had one one night stand but I've kissed a lot of different guys while under the influence.  I don't know if this is a big deal or not but I feel that when I drink a desire for human contact comes out...and it's coming from a desperate, lonely part of my personality.  This part makes me sad because this part of my personality is usually subconscious and hidden.

alcohol makes people less inhibited so you'll do things you wouldn't normally.  but it's also a depressant.  so, if you're already prone to depression... a lot of times the things that alcohol frees you up to do aren't the healthiest things to be doing, and sometimes are down right self destructive.

if how you are acting when drunk is drastically different from how you normally are, and leading you to do things that you maybe regret, then i think it's a very good thing that you are worried about this. 

talk to your doctor about ideas on moderation... or you can try my road if you want. 

i think the key to stopping binging is to find out how many drinks you can have without being drunk and never going past that number. 

also, have you talked to your doctor about your need for human contact and how you supress it?  needing human contact is totally natural, and it will probably help you a lot if you can get into why this part of you is normally hidden. 

good luck, keep us posted

penny

A poster in another thread mentioned Moderation Management.

I can't vouch for Moderation Management myself; I don't only rarely drink, and all the people I've known personally with this problem have gone to AA, which takes a very different approach. For the people I've known, AA has worked.

But thought I'd pass this along, in case this might help.

Archived