CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
wookie

Feel like the world is conspiring against me at finding a job

I have applied to 200 jobs or more over the last 4 months.  I feel like I have been treated like absolute shit on two jobs where I had temporary employment.  I've had interviews where it looks like the manager would rather be elsewhere than interviewing me. I have handed out resumes. What am I doing wrong?  I fear I'll never find a job. I've applied to so many jobs and yet nothing. I feel it is putting stress on my relationship.

Edited by wookie
correcting title
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wookie said:

I have applied to 200 jobs or more over the last 4 months.  I feel like I have been treated like absolute shit on two jobs where I had temporary employment.  I've had interviews where it looks like the manager would rather be elsewhere than interviewing me. I have handed out resumes. What am I doing wrong?  I fear I'll never find a job. I've applied to so many jobs and yet nothing. I feel it is putting stress on my relationship.

omg. I totally hear you, I've been in the same stinking (sinking) boat...the never ending targeted resumes, cover letters, networking, contacting, follow-up...just to be treated like total sh*t by moronic employees or simply ignored. Companies only want to hire a referral of an existing employee...if you are 35+ you might as well be a senior citizen, you are over the hill career-wise. Client service is non-existent nowadays, everybody is too busy swiping on Facebook/Twitter/Tinder to actually do their job. Job searching/interviewing makes me feel subhuman. It's the worst.

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

There's a really real phenomenon that it's harder to get a job when you're unemployed, and the longer you are out of the job market, the worse it gets.

I hate to say it.

Good luck out there!

Hey guys,

So I totally get where y'all from. I am in the same boat. I have been on countless interviews, but yet no Job. I think I have been treated a lot better in middle school. The thing is I'm really sick with auto sim but no one cares. I'm actually really smart like I went to MIT. Oh well , hopefully they will stop being jerks soon enough.

My job history is shit. I quit a Job before I can get fired because I think that looks better but found out its the equivalent. I applied for a job at at&t for their call center and was crushed I wasn't hired. I put more effort into it that anywhere I've ever applied. The pay was good and I knew I was qualified. I Even won a tech award in high school senior year and was MS Office verified and type 64 wpm minimal error. No shit. But they wanna hire someone who's like half my intelligence who doesn't even know how to use a computer I've heard. I quit working to take care of my sickly grandmother who passed at the end of last year. No one really cared. That's a major reason for a gap in my employment honestly. I've had managed who've said I don't put in effort when I learned the new system at that job quicker than someone who had been their longer. And I worked areas they didn't ask me to because I wasn't busy. And they needed help. The DM even told her I was a hard worker. And he's her dad. I've had coworkers threaten me so I quit for lack of feeling safe. Because I don't and can't fight. And I don't do drama in my work place. Period. I can apply anywhere but I need somewhere that can work with a bus schedule. But since I have shit job history I need open availability . I even went to An interview in the rain. Took the bus and walked at least half a mile in the rain. The lady Even said half her other Interviews didn't show. I never got a call. I called and was told I wasn't hired . Right now I babysit part time for a lady I befriended who lives in the motel I do. She has three kids. They can be a handful but I wanna teach and it gives me the experience. And at the end of the day I feel like an aunt to them or something. Their mom pays me what she can and it doesn't bother me. it helps pay bills. A lot of people are hurting for money right now. I'm not complaining.

• Like 1

When I couldn't get a job because of my age and being overqualified as well as being out of work for a few years, I got a job as a substitute teachers aide. The pay isn't that great but it gets me out of the house and I make a little money

I am in a hard spot.  Meds are not working well. 

I finished my school certificate with a 97% average grade.  I went for an interview.  No luck but I had an offer to help with a placement from the company.  The school has not set the placement because they're too busy.  No idea if anything will pan out.

Just trying not to care anymore.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DelRey
      So I was wondering how you deal with unemployment. I rely on my husband and family for financial support including my medication and this is an absolute torture because everyone is going through such an incredibly difficult financial situation, it makes me feel super useless, desperate, I just want to run and run and not stop. I cry and feel so useless, it's that combination of depression and anxiety at the same time where one simply wonders when is everything going to be over and if it's even worth trying harder. I am very close to getting a job, I think tomorrow will be my last interview and I am very positive I will get it, but if I don't get it I will be devastated and at an even worse position because I have applied already to all possible businesses which can hire someone with my skills and education and they have rejected me. How to keep anxiety and depression under control in these situations? There is no medication that can actually solve these issues. BTW it is rainy season in the country where I live, and thunderstorms can get pretty nasty, anyone else with thunderstorm phobia, I will get under a blanket with earmuffs, heart raising and can not do anything at all throughout the duration of the storm. Every day is a struggle when I see the sky cloudy.
      Thanks! Peace 
    • By Slobster
      Why does schizophrenia tend to impair the ability to work so much for most people? What precise aspects of the disease make it impossible to work?
    • By utherwerldgerl
      I have a dilemma: My boyfriend wants me to work, but I'm in school full time, schizophrenic, and my psychiatrist thinks working is a really bad idea.  In fact, she said she was upset with me that I was considering working again, because every time I do, it triggers psychotic symptoms.

I need to work.  I need the money, even though I have disability.  Or at least that's what my boyfriend insists.  I don't know if I should resent him for pushing me (when I've explained what my doctor said), or push myself harder to succeed in employment.

Any suggestions?  Experiences?

-utherwerldgerl
    • By Retromancer
      Speaking as one of those that was 'hit hard' by the recession this report doesn't exactly come as a surprise. Still quantification of the impact is good.

The economic recession across Europe has had a profound impact on people with mental health problems, research from King's College London suggests.
      Between 2006 and 2010, the rate of unemployment for those with mental health problems rose twice as much as for other people - from 12.7% to 18.2%.

Mentally ill people 'hit hard by recession' | BBC News
    • By Frolic
      Over the past year, I've worked for maybe a total of...11 and a half weeks or so, divided up into five jobs. Prior to my being in the working world (if you can even call my 11 weeks that) I struggled through school, eventually dropping out and getting my GED, and then attempting college only to not attend classes and drop out after 2 months.I can't take anything I perceive to be criticism, and while from a logical perspective I understand that if nobody tells me how I can improve or anything like that, I'm never going to get better. But even a gentle nudge and a small demonstration can leave me fighting back tears. My therapist and I have been exploring this for awhile now. I'm really at my wits end. I've tried different fields of work, different schedules, different amounts of hours... My longest job was 5 weeks, but it was only 15/hrs a week, so really not beneficiary on a financial end of things. 

I'm only 19 years old, and so obviously SSDI is out of the question. My therapist thinks applying for SSI would be a waste of time, because I have such little work history. I've been in and out of treatment for a decade now (mostly in), and I would think with my extensive school records and such that perhaps I would have a tiny shot if I had enough people on my side to support my case.

I struggle with getting majorly depressed when I'm not working, I feel unproductive and like a failure. But when I am working I feel extremely anxious and stressed and it consumes my life until I shut down.

I just can't seem to make progress on any part of my life- professional, mental, social... 
      I feel really inadequate and immature. I know it's not good to make comparisons, but my friends all have plenty of stressors in their lives and manage to hold down steady jobs (and in some cases also go to school full-time) including those who have MIs. 

I'm tired of doing things that don't work. I need some other avenue. Does anyone have any similar experiences, and if so, how did/are you deal with it/ get through it? Any insight? I can't live at home forever (and I wouldn't want to!)