CrazyBoards.org

My anxiety

Hi everyone. First time posting at this board.

I am bipolar and borderline, but my pdoc is on this kick that my main problem is anxiety and if we get that straightened out all will be fine. So she put me on some stupid SSRIs that do nothing for me, or at best make me manic.

I have general anxiety, panic disorder with agorophobia and specific phobias.

I take clonazepam and ativan.

Any tips on how to get through the day with so much anxiety without popping twenty ativan?

Ameth

Hi:

I have GAD as well. Most of what I do for my anxiety has nothing to do with meds. I can't take SSRI's, but it seems to work for some people. I take other things, and I do take klonopin.

The biggest problem with an anxiety disorder is the fact you are unaware that you are not breathing correctly. Sometimes you hold your breath, sometimes you hyperventilate, sometimes you just breathe hard, due to panic it makes you light headed.

I do a lot of things, but here are my favorites: I exercise regularly. I swim. And according to my p-doc this is excellent for training myself how to breathe properly.  This way in a pinch I will do it automatically. You can also run, or what ever aerobic exercise you like. Dance even!

I also meditate, 30 minutes a day. I started with 10 and worked up. Start by focusing on your breathing and making sure it is slow and even.

I take times outs during the day for myself. AND I am learning when overwhelmed to just stop and do a quiet activity.

Having GAD is not trying to beat it, but rather, trying to learn to live with it. There are many things you can do to try, these are just a few. PM me if you want to learn more, I am kind of on the run.

AND call your p-doc first thing tomorrow and tell her/him that this SSRI isn't working for you. There are other meds that will work, and the purpose of meds is to quiet yourself enough so that you can focus on what you need to do to feel better.

Good luck!

Breeze

Hi everyone. First time posting at this board.

I am bipolar and borderline, but my pdoc is on this kick that my main problem is anxiety and if we get that straightened out all will be fine. So she put me on some stupid SSRIs that do nothing for me, or at best make me manic.

I have general anxiety, panic disorder with agorophobia and specific phobias.

I take clonazepam and ativan.

Any tips on how to get through the day with so much anxiety without popping twenty ativan?

Ameth

are you on a mood stabilizer in addition to the ssri and the klonopin?  (i hope!)

if the ssri is going to make you cycle, that's not going to be of any help at all to your anxiety.  there are other meds used to anxiety besides ssris that help some people.  APs in low doses (seroquel, risperdal) and i'm testing out a new med called Lyrica for my GAD, but it's only been 3 days so i can't speak to its efficacy. 

as breeze mentioned, meditation is great for anxiety.  other approches that people have found helpful are biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy.

but fist you have to make sure you're on a mood stabilizer to counter effect that ssr.

good luck

penny

Archived