CrazyBoards.org

I was just curious if anyone else who experiences psychosis has something like this. I have trouble falling asleep sometimes because I'm overcome with fear that zombies are going to break into my building. Recently I find myself staying up very late because I'm too scared to go to sleep. I also tend to be afraid of ghosts and other kinds of malevolent spirits. 

Could this be a kind of psychosis thing? Or does it sound more like OCD? Or just an overactive imagination?

Whenever I am tempted to be afraid of the dark, I remind myself that there is nothing there that isn't there during the day or couldn't be there during the day.

One night in early November right around the start of this latest psychotic episode I had thoughts that I was being watched as I attempted to go to bed, even though there was no one and nothing around to watch me, which was utterly awful and made it very hard for me to get to sleep...

Do you use a nightlight (it plugs in as well as a portable one ... if the electricity goes out, the back-up comes on)? 

I am very afraid of the dark also.  I am more afraid of people breaking into my apartment, and me not seeing them until it is too late ... and it really stresses me out. So I have a nightlight that lights up enough that I can get around without it being too bright, as well as a portable one in the bathroom.  Without the nightlights Idk if I could stand pitch black.  I also have a small wind chime hanging on the door I don't use, which is loud enough that I'd hear it if someone tried to break in from that door.

• Like 1

I almost always sleep with a soft light on- either close to me or in the bathroom or hallway depending on my level of anxiety on the given night.  My phobias are people breaking in and hurting me.  My diagnoses Is SA but this symptom seems more like anxiety than delusions or paranoia.  Some nights I'm okay in darkness.  

Just recently I woke at 4 am and everything was dark, eerie, and still.  I tried desperately to turn a light on but realized there had been a power outage!  I was scared and did not fall asleep until the sun came up even though I was using the flazhlight on my iPhone.  Total darkness is really stifling and claustrophobic to me.  

Idk I actually prefer the dark. It calms my senses since there aren't too many things for me to see. When the person/being was in my closet I appreciated that even if they moved I probably wouldn't see them. I think if I had seen them, I would've freaked more. 

I had this issue in my teens and early adult hood. But since getting a smart phone I just listen to music and fall asleep with ease in darkness. So it doesn't bother me anymore but use to be a problem when I didn't have something to distract me.

• Like 1

I personally had a fixation on ghosts. When I went to sleep I hallucinated with the light and the dark and would hear electronic/hypnagogic voices thinking they were talking to me. It persisted when I was living with my parents, but when I moved in with my fiancee I had less of a fixation on it. Although I do kind of trip on it from time to time. I don't fear it as much now, but it's taken time and understanding. Occasionally I will still feel unsettled in the dark, especially if it's late and I'm alone. I have most of my visual hallucinations that way. I'm trying to realize there are no malevolent ghosts or demons or anything like that around. it's been helping I think here and there, when I can remember it. I feel sometimes stuff like that is like a tulpa, something you start believing in and it kind of becomes real as an idea that can torment us. Something like that. Reassurance and just ignoring and not fixating. My fiancee really just instilled ignoring the bad voices when they arise and often times has helped alot. 

I don't do well in the dark if I have the slightest hint of paranoia. I end up walking quickly and turn around every few seconds to make sure there isn't something following me or about to attack me. Most of this fear preceded my psychosis by years, so I don't think my manifestation of this is only from Sz.

I have exactly the same thing going on with me. zombies, ghosts, aliens...

When I was younger, I watched a lot of 'walking dead' for fun, and wasn't scared of it at all. 

After having Sz, I gets so scared by just thinking about it.  I deeply regret watching it.   I have to sleep with lights on.  For a while going out at night is impossible for me.

When I was younger I could handle more violent/supernatural/psychological themes but I feel like it's caught up with me too. That's honestly one of the main things that fed my fear of the dark. I'm still in that question zone of "am I actually communicating with something else? And sometimes it feels true. I lost my father recently and that's brought up a lot of that stuff. I think a lot of that stuff is created by our belief in it and how we're sort of answering to it. If you've ever heard of tulpas it feels like that to me. I feel like I've created demons/angels/ghosts before because of a feeling of being wounded or persecuted. It sort of did help me to ask for spirits that my family trusted and were not there to cause me harm. Even if it's just sort of a psychological thing of feeling better, or not. I tend to feel less addled by dark thinking and voices. Although I've had to realize much of it is me. Don't give up hope man. Most of the time what we think is haunting us aren't even real, and sometimes I believe better stuff can come through. It's just taken years of experience to work myself through it. I'm still a beginner to. In the inbetween of irrational belief and trying to exist as a human being in the rational world.

Yes, I have fears of the dark. I have a night light that I use. However, it casts shadows in places that always look like there is something staring back at me. I just have to meditate, do a body scan, or do reality checking. If I roll over, I have to make sure that my back , all the way to the back of my head, is covered in blankets, somehow that makes me feel safe. When I do the nightly turning off of lights and locking doors before bed, I find myself running up the stairs. Something is always chasing me in the dark, I can feel their eyes on me and I feel them wisp the back of my head and neck as I attempt to get away from them.

I contribute it to my imagination mixed with my psychosis. I can honestly say, when I am not in an episode I still have those thoughts. But. they are less extreme. I can walk slower, challenge my self to turn around and prove to myself there is nothing there. It still scares the hell out of me. So, I think psychosis could play a part or make the normal fear of the dark worse and visa versa.