CrazyBoards.org

I think I have developed this. I have a tendency to speak .... like .... .... .... this. 

The internet says thought blocking is: "a phenomenon that occurs in people with psychiatric illnesses (usually schizophrenia), occurs when a person's speech is suddenly interrupted by silences that may last a few seconds to a minute or longer."

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I can relate.  I'll be in the middle of talking and all of a sudden totally don't remember what I was talking about.

Yes, though my latest increase in Seroquel has reversed it for the most part. I had trouble verbalizing my thoughts, causing delays in what I'm saying, and sometimes I'll also forget what I'm saying as I'm saying it.

3 hours ago, Dphxa said:

I have it pretty bad.  I know what I want to say, but the words just won't come.

Same with me.  Sometimes I know exactly what I want to say, but when I try to say whatever it is, the words aren't there.

1 hour ago, Swamp56 said:

Yes, though my latest increase in Seroquel has reversed it for the most part. I had trouble verbalizing my thoughts, causing delays in what I'm saying, and sometimes I'll also forget what I'm saying as I'm saying it.

Wow ... I could have written this!  Thank you for verbalizing what I couldn't.

I go through periods of this. It's like what I want to say suddenly hides behind a brick wall and I can't get to it. 

All of the above applies to me too. I could be in the middle of a conversation and totally forget what I am talking about, my mind goes blank and I have to ask the other person what I was talking about. This is OK with people who know me well but not OK with people who don't....very embarrassing

I forget what i was going to say, but I am not attending to voices or otherwise distracted when speaking. I dissociate a little when I am listening, I don't think I do when I am speaking.

It happens to me while I am speaking, as well as listening.  When I am talking to someone, in the middle of a sentence I will say 'what were we talking about? I just blanked out' or something like that.  It is embarrassing when it happens more than 1-2 times in the same topic/conversation.

Definitely thought blocking all the time. Tends to happen when I grasp onto things neurologically and psychologically. It's hard to explain but I definitely feel stunted in conversation or alone sometimes. Can be a very painful thing to experience.

5 minutes ago, centipedebrain said:

Can be a very painful thing to experience.

And extremely frustrating.

10 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

And extremely frustrating.

Incredibly. I used to be able to talk to people more but recently I've been struggling in social situations. That seems to be when my psychosis manifests the most.

I also get this, where I suddenly won't be able to express how I want to say something, for extended periods of time.