CrazyBoards.org

Not sure where this belongs. Maybe in News of the World. Decided to put this here, even though it is not technically about substance abuse. (Mods, please move if you think it would be better elsewhere.)

Saw this story on 60 Minutes last night: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/25/...in1238202.shtml. You can also watch the video of it; look in the blue right-hand menu, about halfway down, for the link.

Unbelievable story. Very sad. Our laws suck, and I guess especially so in Florida.

I know. Really made me sad. So inhumane. So sad for his whole family.

I thought 60 Minutes did a good job. Maybe by shedding some light on this one case, this one man might get some more compassionate treatment? One would hope. It certainly should be an embarrassment for the state of Florida.

Yeah, R.

There seems to be alot of press of how Florida embarasses itself.

Not a Floridian by birth, I see myself as a born Yankee (Connecticut); Austin, Texas transplant (1976-1985); and West Virginia lover of mountains (and where my folks come from.) Florida is a very strange place. You never get a sense of place/community here. Anyway, there is always more bizarre Florida news in the making!

Sylvia

It isn't just a Florida probelm. A friend of mine was accused of selling his Oxyconton. He wasn't selling it, he just has a motaolism that is so fast, he would burn throuh it twice as fast as a normal person would. He had to submit to testing to show them what was going on.

I saw the story. What they failed to mention was whether or not the guy was ever offered pain management. This can be helpful, and would have kept him out of trouble.

Chronic pain is not only a drag, but it's scary as well. But if you are honest with your docs, there are ways to handle this.

I know, I am living this myself. And yeah, it's a shame he is in prison. It's WRONG. But I am wondering if he was ever given other options. Or ever asked about them.

Doctors are scared shitless of addictive pain meds and prescribing them. This guy's doc was an idiot. That is why I'm betting he wasn't offered pain management.

Breeze

I saw the story. What they failed to mention was whether or not the guy was ever offered pain management. This can be helpful, and would have kept him out of trouble.

Chronic pain is not only a drag, but it's scary as well. But if you are honest with your docs, there are ways to handle this.

I know, I am living this myself. And yeah, it's a shame he is in prison. It's WRONG. But I am wondering if he was ever given other options. Or ever asked about them.

Doctors are scared shitless of addictive pain meds and prescribing them. This guy's doc was an idiot. That is why I'm betting he wasn't offered pain management.

Breeze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering the same thing when I read the article.  My neuro gave me the standard DEA lecture about pain meds for my migraines.  After that, he did mention pain management and how they can write scripts for pain meds that most docs can't and not be questioned.

I feel so sorry for this guy and his family.  It is wrong what has happened to him.  Hopefully, this story will shed some light on this problem.

Archived