CrazyBoards.org

I hope it's okay for me to post here.  Even though I'm technically bipolar w/ psychosis, this is clearly the psychosis aspect at issue.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard voices that are confined to a particular room or area?  For example, when I was in the hospital, I heard the voices in my bedroom but nowhere else on the floor.  I've also fortunately never heard them outside of it since then, but I take that more as effective medication than anything else.  So can anyone explain the limited location?  Or anyone have an experience like it?

Thanks,

dances

Absolutely. I've also had hallucinations follow me all over town, so I've experienced it both ways. But more often than not, they're confined to my immediate environment. 

thanks Flash.  It just felt weird (not that hallucinations aren't in and of themselves weird).  I always assumed they'd be a 24-7 thing.  Or that if you got a break, it would be random.

Yes, I have.  In my bedroom also.  Not all the time in my bedroom (this happened only when I was in my apartment ... it did happen other places, but when home, it was mostly confined to the bedroom and they louder there), for the most part they were there.

Mine were a 24/7 thing though ... unless I got a break to sleep, or fell asleep from exhaustion.  It was just they were more prominent in the bedroom.  And having any music on anywhere, i would be communicating with people through music anywhere in my apartment  (they'd think to me through music and I'd think back to them).  So actually I could communicate everywhere in my apartment (or outside etc ... I had a lot of times when I would get a visual of someone, and they'd be "talking" to me, and I could hear them out loud), but the actual voices were more in my bedroom.

Idk why though.  I can definitely relate to this happening to me also.

I am following this though to see if someone has an idea of why.

Does your room have a white noise going on? I tend to hear voices in the air conditioner, fan, or people walking by. For me it's far worse in public, like everything's talking to me. But when I'm alone I can tend to hear voices in things with different frequencies. Sometimes it can be very freaky and incredibly alarming. I'm not saying this is exactly what it is, but sometimes I can tune out the voices if I paying attention to my environment and the silence or realness of it. Sorry may not help at all, just thought I'd share my own experience with it. I spend tons of time at home and there are regular voices here. Especially in the room I'm staying in.

My pdoc calls the white noise stuff illusions rather than hallucinations. For me, the illusions tend to be soft, whereas the hallucinations tend to be quite loud. The illusions tend to be Music, talk radio, sports games, and stuff like that, so they're harmless. Hallucinations can be anything, and can often be quite frightening. 

Yeah, that's how it can be sometimes.  While I rarely hear voices anymore (though it's happened a few times in the past few weeks), it's often like that IME.  For me, it's probably more the shower though my bedroom also seems to be a bit of a "hot spot" when I experience this.  I think it has to do with the ambient sounds in the environment, some areas have more ambient white noise that can easily become distorted into voices.  

Without any real sounds in an environment, I'd actually hypothesize that it may not even be possible to have auditory hallucinations as the mind would have nothing to distort..... though such an environment isn't possible under most circumstances, so this may be somewhat of a moot point.  I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this, but I'm glad it seems to have diminished since your medication.  While I haven't taken any medications, I'm overall feeling quite a bit better than I was a few weeks ago when I got rather paranoid about some mildly unusual things.  Among those who are hearing voices, I would guess that they typically occur more commonly in some areas as opposed to others, at least this makes sense given my experience.

Edited by Steve223

Speaking of white noise, has anyone else ever noticed the 'sound of the universe?' When everything is really, really quiet, there is still noise. It's a Static/white noise kind of thing. Whenever things are super quiet, just listen and see if you can hear it. I personally find it to be rather obnoxious, but at the same time strangely fascinating. I mean, where is it coming from? I should disclose here that I frequently hear sine wave sounds too, and both of these hearing phenomena go back to early childhood. Perhaps it has something to do with my two ear surgeries, but IDK. Maybe it's just a "defect" in the way our ears are designed? 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Speaking of white noise, has anyone else ever noticed the 'sound of the universe?' When everything is really, really quiet, there is still noise. It's a Static/white noise kind of thing. Whenever things are super quiet, just listen and see if you can hear it. I personally find it to be rather obnoxious, but at the same time strangely fascinating. I mean, where is it coming from? I should disclose here that I frequently hear sine wave sounds too, and both of these hearing phenomena go back to early childhood. Perhaps it has something to do with my two ear surgeries, but IDK. Maybe it's just a "defect" in the way our ears are designed? 

I also hear what you have called "the sound of the universe" but I attribute it to my imagination filling in the void of silence.  Or is that the sound of the blood flowing to our head and the rhythmic whooshing of out circulatory system?  Perhaps it really is the energy of the universe buzzing around us- who knows.  

Coincidentally I also hear the sine waves even though I haven't been symptomatic in years.  I don't listen to music in my head anymore either- when I did I could control it- I could choose the song, the volume, and even the segment of a song I wanted to hear.  I also could separate the vocals from the instrumentals and hear either one by itself.  Maybe it wasn't psychosis.  I don't know.  I believe it was encouraged by the mania.  

Sound of the universe..  In a way I think I have heard that sound, yet I've attributed it to my tinnitus.  The sound of the universe idea sounds cooler though for sure, maybe there's something to it who knows.  We don't know everything that's for sure.  I've never thought of the universe as having a sound but this idea really fascinates me now

Also what are sine waves?  

Edited by Steve223

11 hours ago, Flash said:

Speaking of white noise, has anyone else ever noticed the 'sound of the universe?'

I think I have.  Sometimes when it is quiet I do hear things but they aren't loud or within my head.  Like 'loud quietness.'  I didn't know how to describe it before.  But yeah ... sometimes when this happens I start to get irritable and will put something on like the TV on a low volume, or music on at a low volume, or whatever.

thanks all--it was now 6 and 10  months ago, so I don't remember the white noise factor.  I just remember it being restricted to in my room when I was in the hospital other than two to three words while i was i an IOP in between the two hospital stays. Knock on wood nothing since that second (technically fourth of my life, but second of this go round) hospital stay.

I hear voices more when things are quiet and I'm trying to concentrate. So mostly in my office or in libraries.