CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
JustDucky

Reasons to stay in IOP

I have been suggested to go to IOP (intensive out patient ) I have gone the last 2 days 

I was told this was for med management for 2 weeks but they told me my insurance was approved for 3 full weeks

they hold my nursing license so I have to do everything they advise

i just have to believe that it is contingent on them getting paid so I could be stuck there for awhile

I do know they are changing my meds but the drs keep talking like this will be long term and I only agreed to 2 weeks

my husband wants me out ..... NOW abut I know I'm not ready yet 

how do I handle these opposite opinions ? How do I advocate for myself ?

Have you guys ever experienced this kind of stuff I keep checking in as a sad but I am sad I had two deaths of people close to me the last 3 weeks but is that keeping me in IOP? I dunno

thanks for listening 

To me, whatever is necessary to keep your license is necessary. And yes this may mean staying three weeks. And whatever your husband says can go to hell - it's not his license after all.

This situation really sucks.  And sounds like a very hard one to be in.

Did you sign anything that says you only consented to 2 weeks, like a contract or something?  Having a copy of that on hand might be helpful, although if the DRs are bigger assholes then imagined, they can change that any time they want, without your consent ... the could make up something too.  This is something my pdoc would do (change the 2 weeks to 3 weeks and lie about why to keep my ... he'd "find" a reason whether it was true or not).

Anyway, did you go there voluntarily?  If so, then can you sign yourself AMA after 2 weeks?  Or would they hold your nursing license as a "trump card" (phrase, not related to the president), meaning they won't let you give it back and go back to nursing until the 3rd week is over?

32 minutes ago, JustDucky said:

Have you guys ever experienced this kind of stuff I keep checking in as a sad but I am sad I had two deaths of people close to me the last 3 weeks but is that keeping me in IOP? I dunno

This type of thing I have a problem with also.  I mean why can't people with MI cry because something sad happens, without going through the meds, contemplating IP, etc, you know?  People without MI can cry when something sad happens, without people wondering about anything?

I had 2 friends die, told pdoc about it and was crying ... the first thing he did was look at my meds.  Said nothing about my 2 friends dying.

IMO I don't think having 2 people close to you dying would dictate how long you should be IOP there.  I mean if you were suicidal or something, then maybe that would be different.  But, I think keeping you there depends on how long they want to keep you there ... they could say you are more depressed, have to go on a med/med tweak, or the other shit excuses they could come up with.  I get the impression though, that because the DRs have stressed the 3 weeks, you might have to do the 3 weeks.  They sound pretty firm about that, but I could be wrong.  Like you said though, they know they'll paid (insurance coverage), they have control over your nursing license, etc.

However if you are "happy," doing things, engaging in conversation, etc during IOP, (ie a "perfect patient"), maybe after the 2 weeks they'd discharge you.  That is a guess though.

1 minute ago, Closure said:

To me, whatever is necessary to keep your license is necessary. And yes this may mean staying three weeks.

I agree with this.

I agree that keeping your license is a priority. Can you get something out of the days you are there?  If you have to be there, maybe it could help some aspects if your MI, even if just for future use. When I was married, my husband wanted me out of all therapy and off all meds, and get it together on my own. So I know it's hard to not have support. But if it's required, that puts a different spin on it and I personally would settle in and do the time. A nursing license is a valuable thing and IMO worth jumping through a few hoops. I'm speaking from my personal life philosophy here. 

Ducky, I'm sorry about your friends. Very sorry.

Can you tell us a particular reason your husband wants you to stop IOP? If I knew that, it might help me help you defend yourself from his reasoning. It's terrible that he isn't supporting you in this. You're the one who's living in your brain, and you say you know it's too soon for you to leave the program. Take strength from that; have the courage of your convictions, and know that you know yourself best, better than he does. Do what's best for you.

I'm not sure if the fact that your insurance agrees to cover three weeks means they plan to have you stay for three weeks. You should ask the program admin about that.

Last, but most important: if you lose your license for not completing this program, then you complete it. Period. That is too much to throw away because your husband is being uncooperative. Ask him if he thinks the situation will be improved by you being unemployed.

I can only speak for what I would do, but if I needed med management and they were holding my professional license, I'd do the IOP despite what my husband thought. If he loves you, he will understand. It might take a while to sink in, but he will eventually come around.

Could your DR talk to your husband?   Would that help your husband to stop telling you to get out of the IOP?

I tried talking to my husband and he said " look whatever it takes to keep your license but I think Ridgeview likes you as a patient because you have 2 insurances " which is true

for now I am approved till 4/13. The only thing I signed was into their care no end date but my pdoc said 2 weeks

if I check out early I am then non compliant and they can report to my license I didn't complete the program.... they could suspend it 

I went there voluntarily because I crashed and burned when Daniel committed suicide and my niece died 

they have changed my meds and are watching to see if I turn manic and I don't know how long that takes. They finally gave me something for anxiety .... Thank God 

At the hospital I am under a different dr care then my regular pdoc

i left early yesterday after not answering the question are you feeling bad or suicidal and my answer was " don't worry I have felt this way for weeks and did nothing" wasn't a good answer I should have said o" oh yeah I feel fucking terrific my best friendd is dead woot woot" I left to get some quality food not starch not sugar and I went home to nap after many days without sleeping and I did 

They called to check on me .... seriously ??

If I check out AMA a I can never go back to the professionals program and they will report it to the nursing board 

i just can't take the same stupid lectures I am thinking about coloring pencils and and a sheet to color 

obviously they know more about my disease than I do but lots of people who have shitty insurance stay for 2 weeks then out of there . If no insurance it's 7 days 

I don't care how long I am there I am going to be sad for a while but hey I can lie and say oh I am a bundle of fucking joy everyday 

The groups are huge I want to older group but I am not there for addiction .... who gives a fuck it's the same answer as the 12 steps 

Thanks for listening I could use some support 

It seems to me like there are so many rules/stipulations about you staying there and keeping your license, being reported or not, not being able to back to the professional's program, etc.  That must be so frustrating. 

Personally, at this point, I would do what I needed to do to help myself (ie new meds, groups, etc), while and at the same time making sure I do what I need to do so I will keep my license ... and not doing anything to ruin that.  (NOT saying you will, just things I would keep in mind if it were me.

Do you know why they didn't give you anything earlier?

Have you asked about smaller groups there (not related to addiction), and tell them you think they will really help more than the larger groups do?

I'm glad you got some sleep. 

Maybe tell them your losses, what you really need is grief counseling?  No, you probably won't get that, but it might change the focus of what they ask. To me, you need your license to make a decent living. You need this thing to keep your license. So what do you need to get through this, for the next couple weeks?  Do you have input as to which groups you go to, or activities they place you in?  Or do you just need to get through it?  I'm assuming leaving early can jeapardize your license. I know it can be tedious and not what you need. But anything you can say about what's really going on might help. In the end, get anything you can out of it, and wait out the rest. Those licenses aren't easy to get and hard to get back if you lose it. I'm sorry this is so hard right now. 

• Like 1

At this moment I don't have any particular advice to give, but I am thinking of you, ducky, and I'm sorry everything is so hard right now.

Thanks so much guys . They have advised I live at the residence for the next 2 weeks because things at home are too stressful

The family they just can't act live I am a patient in s hospital they blow me off and make joke s and hurtful comments  so I packed my bag for a week and will re evaluate next week

I am not happy about being there and getting NOTHING from group other than gratitude because most of the patients are far worse than me . We spend a lot of time on manic people and others falling asleep

my pdoc says she will not send anyone else there

this was not what I experienced there 2 years ago ... the professionals program is non existent except 2 meetings

I am trying to listen to what I can learn but it's tough . I am going to ask again to go to different group I can't function with 18 people in a group or I will call and ask the board the questions because my pdoc said I am free to leave the program

Anything else I should do?

Idk of anything else you can do at the moment, but I'm thinking of you.  I'm sorry you don't have a lot of family support.

I can't help but think that it might be good for you to take a break from your family as well right now, Ducky.

It sounds to me like you're doing the right things to help yourself, JD. Advocating for the kind of support you need, going residential when your home environment wasn't conducive to getting well, protecting your license. Keep asking for what you need and look after yourself.

It sounds like you have little choice since your livelihood depends on being compliant with whatever treatment they deem fit. Why does your husband not want you to stay IOP?