CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
watyousay

Anyone replace ED with spending?

Hey I am new. Long-time eating disorder sufferer. Started with anorexia and morphed into bulimia, then went to drugs, then went back to EDs, then went orthorexic/exercise bulimic. Went to treatment for the second time a couple years ago and have a treatment team. Noticed that once I started working hard on my ED, I was spending like crazy. Also was on Rexulti at that time. Spending comes and goes but gets bad when my eating gets better. Drives me nuts! Brain needs the rush. Feel like I can't escape. I hate spending, but drugs and bulimia seem worse? Anyone else struggle with this?

Welcome to CB!

The only time spending came into the picture with me was when I was buying all this food without anyone knowing.  I never threw it up or anything, it was more bulimia/laxatives.  And the shame and anger I experience after I finished eating all this food.

But overall, other than buying the food, I didn't have any other problems with money and spending.

• Like 1

Thanks, melissaw72. I did spend a lot buying food for binges, maybe that moved into excessive spending on other things. Thanks for the reply!

It's pretty common to have a behaviour (such as ED'd behaviour) end up being replaced by another one when you try to work on the first. That's how people go from substance use to SI to EDs to whatever, for example. I've engaged in all of those. 

It wasn't until I addressed that I was doing any or all of those behaviours because I was hurting, and starting working on the reasons that I was hurting, that I was able to be free of cycling through them.

Yes, WinterRosie!! That is what I am trying to do with therapy and EMDR. It has just been a long (twenty years and counting) road. Sigh. I think all of mine stems from PTSD and beliefs I formed during trauma. It is taking me forever to rework the beliefs from my trauma, though. They are so ingrained. But I am so encouraged to hear you are free from cycling through them. That is awesome. Thanks for the reply!

For me, I found that my eating habits were really connected to my mood episodes.  If I was symptomatic at all, I was actively binging and purging. Outside of that, I was mostly restricting and calorie counting. I didn't spend too badly at that point in time, but as my eating disorder got better (mostly by completely removing the scale from my house and MyFitnessPal from my phone because my ED was mostly connected to my weight and calorie counting) I began spending more money in place of food binging.

I want to share with you that eating disorders can be an issue with the circuits in your brain related to impulse and compulsiveness. This is why so many individuals with eating disorders have co-morbid impulse/compulsive/addictive disorders  

ED is most common like Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Eating Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Psychotic Disorder has the following characteristics over a long period of time and marked a degree that adversely affects child's educational performance. These also affects personal lives and daily activities.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By solidandvoid
      i've been having this thing where my eating disorder and adhd kind of combine forces: i'll take 10mg ritalin LA (+150mg bupropion) in the morning, not feel hungry all day, then when it wears off and i get hungry again i overeat, feel guilty, and struggle not to vom. tbh even if it's a normal amount of food i'll feel bloated and want to vom.
      sometimes i'll try to get myself to eat while the medication's still in effect by smoking weed, but i end up b/ping almost 100% of the time. i'm seeing my psychiatrist soon so i'll discuss this with them, but i'm curious if anyone else has had these experiences.
    • By mikl_pls
      My pdoc and I have finally found something that works for my impulsivity/compulsivity (mainly impulse buying, which I've always had an issue with, but may or may not have been exacerbated by Abilify) and my binge eating: Memantine (Namenda). For those who haven't heard of this medicine, it's an Alzheimer's disease medicine, but it is gaining use in psychiatry for many off-label uses, including binge eating, impulse control disorders, ADHD, etc.
      After I was prescribed Abilify almost a year ago, I started piling up some serious credit card debt because I was impulse buying, and soon both my credit cards were beyond their credit limit. I have also dealt with binge eating for several years. My I asked my pdoc about memantine, to see what she thought about it, and if it would be worth trying for these things (I told her about my debt, and she knew about my binge eating, as we have tried several things for it). She agreed to try me on a starting dose of 5 mg 2x/day. I responded very well, as I found myself able to stave off urges to impulse buy a lot easier! I also noticed my appetite has diminished, my binge eating has subsided, and I have lost 10 lb in about the span of a week (which is starting to slow down).
      My next visit (my most recent visit), I told her the results, and she agreed to increase to the maintenance dose of 10 mg 2x/day, and I'm noticing the therapeutic effects are markedly increased. Next time I see her, I may consider switching to Namenda XR, which has a dose of 27 mg, which is taken just once a day.
      I figured I would write this post in case anyone who is dealing with these issues and might be searching for any answers.
    • By xanathos
      I don't know why but after not really struggling with binging and purging for several years (9) I seem to be picking it up again. I told my psychiatrist and he recommended a place that has services for people with eating disorders but I feel like they'd not believe me that I have a problem because I'm overweight or they would judge. I'm scared my teeth will be ruined because it's hard not to whenever I binge. Seems like I almost-impulsively plan to binge hours in advance. 
    • By SimplyLucy
      I know the title sounds a little silly but let me explain (buckle up this is going to be a long one)
      As a person that has struggled with heavy eating disorder tendencies for over 6 years now, you would think that I would have this all figured out by now... But that just isn't the case. It kinda just crept up on me when I was 10 and it never went away. I can't exactly pin how it started or why (otherwise it would be easier to treat it. Go figure) however, I never actively thought, "I want to skip meals and be thin". It just became a habit, one that I just can't break despite my best efforts. Its not that I don't want people to know because I dont want them to stop me, its mostly because I'm ashamed that my life has come to this. I am a very happy person that is friends with everyone and just wants the best for people. I just don't want this to change the way they see me. Such a strong and nice person being controlled by some thing so awful. Besides, there is a lot going on in my home life anyway and I dont want to add this on top of it all.
      I know a lot of people say that "biology eventually rules out" and "you're setting yourself up for a binge the more you don't eat" I wish it were like that for me. I don't even have to think about it and I end up not eating for at least 3 days to sometimes a week at a time. And the few times that I do eat I just end up throwing it up anyway. Everything just feels so dull and repetitive that I don't even notice. I actively try to eat. But I keep falling back into the same behavior I don't want to die but I don't want to keep living this way. What should I do?