CrazyBoards.org

Suicide attempts

;) My new pdoc gave me some interesting info the other day.  She said that if a gun is involved. it is always considered a suicide attempt, whether you pulled the trigger or not.  I had always though that if you didn't pull the trigger it wasn't an attempt.

Tommy

Heya Tommy,

Right.

There isn't really a long, complete checklist to help us decide about suicidal ideation, thoughts, attempts, or self-harm/self-injury (which is different).

We all have to make up our own spectrum, and be comfortable with it.

And, it changes from patient to patient.

;)   :)   :P

And, we make mistakes all the damn time.  Someone who just wants to get hit by lightning ends up climbing over the fence into a transformer.

So yeah, in my own estimation, anytime there's a gun involved it counts as an "attempt."

I can get on my soapbox here, but it's hard to, so I'll leave it at that.

--ncc--

;)   :) Of my serious suicide attempts (I must suck at trying because my attempts, thankfully, have always been foiled) the one with the gun provoked the most interest from the hospital people. They really were afraid of that. It seemed that gushing blood everywhere from a drug-induced miscarriage wasn't very serious, but having a gun was.  :P   :ninja:

;)   :) Whether what your pdoc said (about if a gun is involved, it is always considered a suicide attempt) is technically correct or not, I'm sure the involvement of a gun in any way is taken more seriously. If for no other reason, just based on stats, which of course is a large part of what medical professionals have to rely upon. More "successful" attempts have been committed by guns than any other method. (At least that's true in the States; don't know for elsewhere.)

I'm not sure if my info is entirely up-to-date, but the use of guns has been the main reason more men are successful at committing suicide than women. Women try more often, but men actually kill themselves at a higher rate -- mainly due to the use of guns.  :P   :ninja:

There is a big psychic distance between thinking about suicide and pointing a real gun at your real head. While it may not result in an attempt as defined by a squeeze of the trigger, it's certainly up there in terms of risk assessment; right there with writing notes and settling your personal affairs. And just having access to guns increases the risk of suicide. Get them out of the house. Please.

;) That made sense to ME! The person with the gun who didn't fire it has done no harm to himself. But someone who tried, failed and has permanent damage HAS. Without a gun.

Guns are SO immediate, you know? I mean, many other methods take a while or have a great chance of failing. Having been in such a spot without a gun, it would have been a mistake not to have taken me seriously.

Honestly, I don't think someone with a razor blade holding it next to his/her wrist makes that a suicide attempt. To me, logically, it follows that if you have a gun in one hand you have not made an attempt either. I don't see a difference, but they both should be taken VERY seriously and equally. :)

Sam

With children involved, it's very hard to think about actually following through and risking the impact you might have on their lives.

I think about relief from this anxiety/depression/mania all the time.  I have plenty of pills on hand.

I just won't do it because everyone would know it was me.

I want to figure out a way to make it look like an accident, while at the same time making sure it is fatal.  I don't want to end up a vegetable.

Feeling dark this morning.

With children involved, it's very hard to think about actually following through and risking the impact you might have on their lives.

I think about relief from this anxiety/depression/mania all the time.  I have plenty of pills on hand.

I just won't do it because everyone would know it was me.

I want to figure out a way to make it look like an accident, while at the same time making sure it is fatal.  I don't want to end up a vegetable.

Feeling dark this morning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ms. Shirley,

The completion of suicide leaves painful scars and questions almost always for all whom are left behind. I think people often look at children as being more vulnerable to suffering then adults when it comes to topics like this. However, I tend to disagree. I think those who suffer the biggest loss are more emotionally attached or unstable

I guess my question was

And just having access to guns increases the risk of suicide. Get them out of the house. Please.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did the next best thing.  My few remaining guns are trigger locked and hidden and only my wife has any idea where the key is.  All others are with my ex-wife securely locked in her gunsafe and I have a key neither to her house nor the gunsafe.

Tommy

I did the next best thing.  My few remaining guns are trigger locked and hidden and only my wife has any idea where the key is.  All others are with my ex-wife securely locked in her gunsafe and I have a key neither to her house nor the gunsafe.

Thank you. I'm glad to know that. Sending you a bear hug and big, sloppy kiss. Love ya, man.

Greeny

Hey gang, don't let the illness sucker you into doing anything bad by whispering those seductive (and lying) words in your ear.   

If things are getting overwhelming, ask for help, whether from your Pdoc, friend or online.

http://www.suicideinfo.org/

I want to see each of you here again.

Best,

A.M.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh?

How did my question of...

If you really want to die... (and are sick of fighting life)...is it suicide to

let a (physical) illness run it's course... and not fight it....

turn into shooting myself?

I got lost some place here...

Mrs. Obtuse

Archived