CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
SunshineOutside

Who has had treatment resistant depression

I am think sometimes - and I say *sometimes* -  that maybe it is not so much TRD as it is

something situational in our lives not going well. But then that too can aggravate our underlying chemical imbalances which makes cause for a med change or addition.

And regardless of where it came from, it wreaks such havoc in our lives that things can become a nasty cycle.

I don't know how the conversation started but I was sitting with my mom and I told her I had been thinking about ECT again and she said really? And I said, "Yes. A lot."

If you've been depressed a long time and can't find a med that works this is a good option. Although if you can take an MAOI, not everyone can, I'd suggest trying that first. There's a thread about ECT in the depression board. And I'll try to put together the overall post in the next couple of days.

Fiona

Wileycat:

I am so sorry that you are feeling so low. No wonder, given all the challenges you are facing.

Guest Guest

Hi -

Well thank you for noticing that about me. I appreciate it. I am sorry you are having some of the same thing. I know it isn't just me that something happens and next thing your dx changes and a few other things pop up.

So then on top of that, you end up with TRD again.

I do have my dog, who this morning finally looked like a new dog. He had just had a major surgery 11 days ago. I thought I was going to lose him, but he is still here, better than ever for a 15.5 year old mutt. I do need to cuddle with him more.

I even allowed my 20 year-old guy friend to cuddle with me even, being I was sick of not being touched or hugged for so long. That just kills me on some level - like rolling on the floor laughing type level.

Today I finally went in to talk to my therapist who got me in to see the clinical nurse, who got me an appt. wtih my Pdoc Monday instead of sometime in August. My therapist thinks the methadone I take for pain might be making my depression worse. I never tried heroin so I don't know if thsoe people get depressed but this is like heroin light supposedly.

I am just dissappointed the Lamictal didn't work out I guess. If that was mood stabilization, no thanks. The nurse said that a lot of people at this point in the dose are feeling better. Well, not me. It doens't have to crush me though. It just means I need something else.

I think there are certain times in fact, where I just need to add an SSRI for fast effect. And I agree, when things are pretty bad, sometimes a person needs extra help with medications. i always prided myself on somehow being able to get by on just one AD, but it doesn't look like it anymore.

yeah, I really can't talk to my father much anymore. He has bene very nice to me inbetween that event and now but when I got in my accident and was put out of commision and had to take pain meds, they again treated me like somehow it was my fault or that somehow I didn't deserve any help, or made me feel bad for the help they did give me, or couldn't come and be with me through my surgeries (but they did send expensive flowers), and it just has really been a big pain in my heart.

No one knows why I am not talking to them, I'm sure. I just know I feel like the bad guy.  This is certainly all making my TRD worse and I know it. So I have to consciously let that go and work on getting the med thing right at the same time.

I guess it is my belief that I have to do somethig different too along with changing and trying meds to make this work. Like my therapist gave me a list of things that people do that ,ake them feel happy - working on creating positive experiences. That has to help TRD - along with a med change.

yes, yes, anything you can actually did to make yourself feel better is terrific.  Please just don't beat yourself up if somehow, sometimes it (the therapy, exercise, creating positive experiences) doesn't work.

And, YES, I think the pain medication may very well be contributing to your depression.  While I have never taken methadone, I have had several surgeries and then given morphine. when the morphine wore off however, I crashed badly, every time. the morphine was given intravenously, so I'm guessing it was pretty potent.  Certainly helped with the pain.  But I'm not sure if the black hole of depression when it wore off was worth it. I'm not saying don't take the pain medication, says that it might indeed be bumpy as it wears off.

and good heavens, none of this is your fault.

I hope you get to feeling better.  We need you.

It is important to know if you are snoring, there is high % of comorbidities between snoring,sleep apnea and major depression, and that may difficult remission.

I have MAJOR multiple disorders, but went into a deep deep depression about 6 years ago and still cannot snap out of it. I also am schizoaffective (schizoprenia and bp 1 mixed); severe panic disorder; severe social/sociophobia; severe agoraphobia and chronic pain disorder. I was first diagnosed at 12 years old (I'm 45 now), have been on pretty mucn every med known to man, but the only thing that has helped ne with ANYTHING are my kpins (6 mgs a day) and Adderall (60+ mgs a day). The addies seem to help me snap out of my depression for at least an hour or two, but that's about it. They want to try ECT, but haven't decided if I want to try it or not...getting desperate. Anhedonia is pretty much untolerable anymore.

I have tried literally everything and they say I'm treatment resistant. I've tried many meds and am currently taking: Geodon 80 mgs daily; Prozac 80 mgs daily; neurontin 1200 mgs daily; clonazepam 6 mgs daily; Adderall or Ritalin 60 mgs daily (depends lately with shortage going on); Oxycontin 80 mgs daily; oxycodone 45 mgs daily; Baclofen 75 mgs daily; synthroid .75 mcgs daily; and High blood pressure meds daily and various other things. I've been on most of these all my life or most of my life, and the Adderall/Ritalin is no longer working. It used to snap me out of my depression for a couple hours a day, but lately, even the Adderall is working anymore...especially even keeping me awake. I never had the problem before on just as many meds, but the addies won't even wake me anymore. Any advice would be helpful. Being a depressed mess is one thing but even with my addies, they don't snap me out of depression for even an hour anymore and taking the addies just makes me more tired anymore. What to do!!! Any adivce???? Would be much appreciated! I'm tired of living this way...ECT was brought up, anyhing else??? I AM PRETTY MUCH OUT OF OPTIONS!!!!

umm advice, well have u tried TMS? it is transcranial magnetic stimulation, may be a little more expensive now, cuz it just came out. ECT I guess, is kind of drastic.

Also, how long has the adderall not worked?

I have Treatment resistant depression. It is very hard to get rid of, if you are also treating positve symptoms of schizophrenia I think.

Fish oil has helped my TRD, I guess they suggest up to 1 g fish oil a day is okay(combined dha/epa.) But most suggest a ratio of 640 DHA 540 EPA.

Edited by Blart752

I have MAJOR multiple disorders, but went into a deep deep depression about 6 years ago and still cannot snap out of it. I also am schizoaffective (schizoprenia and bp 1 mixed); severe panic disorder; severe social/sociophobia; severe agoraphobia and chronic pain disorder. I was first diagnosed at 12 years old (I'm 45 now), have been on pretty mucn every med known to man, but the only thing that has helped ne with ANYTHING are my kpins (6 mgs a day) and Adderall (60+ mgs a day). The addies seem to help me snap out of my depression for at least an hour or two, but that's about it. They want to try ECT, but haven't decided if I want to try it or not...getting desperate. Anhedonia is pretty much untolerable anymore.

I have tried literally everything and they say I'm treatment resistant. I've tried many meds and am currently taking: Geodon 80 mgs daily; Prozac 80 mgs daily; neurontin 1200 mgs daily; clonazepam 6 mgs daily; Adderall or Ritalin 60 mgs daily (depends lately with shortage going on); Oxycontin 80 mgs daily; oxycodone 45 mgs daily; Baclofen 75 mgs daily; synthroid .75 mcgs daily; and High blood pressure meds daily and various other things. I've been on most of these all my life or most of my life, and the Adderall/Ritalin is no longer working. It used to snap me out of my depression for a couple hours a day, but lately, even the Adderall is working anymore...especially even keeping me awake. I never had the problem before on just as many meds, but the addies won't even wake me anymore. Any advice would be helpful. Being a depressed mess is one thing but even with my addies, they don't snap me out of depression for even an hour anymore and taking the addies just makes me more tired anymore. What to do!!! Any adivce???? Would be much appreciated! I'm tired of living this way...ECT was brought up, anyhing else??? I AM PRETTY MUCH OUT OF OPTIONS!!!!

It would be helpful if you could list the combos of meds that you have tried other than the one that you are on now. I have treatment resistant depression, and I have found the combo listed in my signature helpful - especially the Celexa + Abilify + Carbamazepine. I'm not quite sure what the Ritalin or lamotrigine is doing for me, but I don't want to rock the boat by going off of them when I'm pretty stable. When you are treatment resistant, you usually need a combo of meds to help since just an AD won't cut it. Also Ritalin, Adderall, and Klonopin are not AD's and generally provide only temporary relief (until they wear off). I take it that the Geodon is for the schizoaffective part and not the depression part of your condition.

Treatment resistant depression is a tough nut to crack, though not impossible. ECT may well be a viable option for you. I can't say anything about it because I haven't had it, but there are people on this board who have had it or are having it right now.

Thanks for acknowledging I exist. I have, over 33+ years (first diagnosed at 12), tried so many combinations, been hospitalized many times, etc. etc. and have run out of all options. I first applied for disability at about 39, and they turned me down for bullshit reasons....besides fighting many conditions, I managed to work overtime for over 20 years and attend college for 7 years full-time, but could no longer do it. And initially, I had a couple doctors saying I could no longer 'work gainful full-time employment' because of my conditions (I also have severe back problems...going on 3rd surgery). As of last month, they threatended to give me a major spend-down and cut my food stamps major...I appealed, but am not strong enough to fight anymore. My initial disability claim 6 years ago is STILL in appeal (my attorney say's it's a matter of a couple months for the backpay hearing now)...I got my second claim last year immediately and they considered it pretty much lifelong 'permanent'...whatever that means.

But with this spend-down for medicaid, I have until the end of Jan. 2012 (one month) to find an option and have had no luck. I cannot work, I'm in horrible shape, etc. (I'll get into detail if asked), but with a $300 monthly spend-down, I have two (three choices if you count suicide as one) to do: 1.) quit taking all of my meds and doctors beginning the end of January and if the sudden withdrawals of 13 monthly meds don't kill me (many I've been on all my life), it will just be a matter of time before I no longer even half function and end up hospitalized...this time permanently, but as I deteriorate, I'll have a roof over my head. Or, option 2.) I just give up everything, live on the street and keep my meds...I still will die because I am not street smart. Some choice huh.

I've tried EVERYTHING with no luck. They, including medicaid just don't care. And after 45 years of fighting the disease, symptoms and options, I no longer have the strength to do it anymore.

If you have ANY suggestions or want to know more, you can contact me at: [edit: removed for privacy reasons - please send PMs].

I would much appreciate it. I have two last options to try tomorrow or so....Area 14 and some village of some kind. Other than that...I have no friends, family, nothing to help. And 'severe agoraphobia and social/sociophobia being a part of my disabilities, living on the street and being around people and open areas is NOT an option.

I'm stuck.

Help, please???

me

Edited by Vapourware
Removed identifying details.

Thanks for acknowledging I exist. I have, over 33+ years (first diagnosed at 12), tried so many combinations, been hospitalized many times, etc. etc. and have run out of all options. I first applied for disability at about 39, and they turned me down for bullshit reasons....besides fighting many conditions, I managed to work overtime for over 20 years and attend college for 7 years full-time, but could no longer do it. And initially, I had a couple doctors saying I could no longer 'work gainful full-time employment' because of my conditions (I also have severe back problems...going on 3rd surgery). As of last month, they threatended to give me a major spend-down and cut my food stamps major...I appealed, but am not strong enough to fight anymore. My initial disability claim 6 years ago is STILL in appeal (my attorney say's it's a matter of a couple months for the backpay hearing now)...I got my second claim last year immediately and they considered it pretty much lifelong 'permanent'...whatever that means.

But with this spend-down for medicaid, I have until the end of Jan. 2012 (one month) to find an option and have had no luck. I cannot work, I'm in horrible shape, etc. (I'll get into detail if asked), but with a $300 monthly spend-down, I have two (three choices if you count suicide as one) to do: 1.) quit taking all of my meds and doctors beginning the end of January and if the sudden withdrawals of 13 monthly meds don't kill me (many I've been on all my life), it will just be a matter of time before I no longer even half function and end up hospitalized...this time permanently, but as I deteriorate, I'll have a roof over my head. Or, option 2.) I just give up everything, live on the street and keep my meds...I still will die because I am not street smart. Some choice huh.

I've tried EVERYTHING with no luck. They, including medicaid just don't care. And after 45 years of fighting the disease, symptoms and options, I no longer have the strength to do it anymore.

If you have ANY suggestions or want to know more, you can contact me at: [edit: removed for privacy reasons - please send PMs].

I would much appreciate it. I have two last options to try tomorrow or so....Area 14 and some village of some kind. Other than that...I have no friends, family, nothing to help. And 'severe agoraphobia and social/sociophobia being a part of my disabilities, living on the street and being around people and open areas is NOT an option.

I'm stuck.

Help, please???

me

Unfortunately, I can't really say much because I'm no expert in Medicaid or disability. You have to talk to your lawyer about this. I'm sure that there is a solution.