CrazyBoards.org

Neurological & psychosomatic symptoms

I always wonder which area I should write in, because I feel I belong to them all at once and find it hard to choose. I have terrible squeezy feeling in brain and loud tinnitus, sympatic nervous system overactivity, dilated pupils, "brain on fire", exploding feeling in head, insomnia, agitation, panic attacks, depersonalization/derealization, getting changing consciousness from exertion or non-exertion, unable to recover normally from activity, chronic fatigue syndrome like issues, seeing zig-zag lines (horizontal or vertical), dementia-like issues, sensations of electricity and vibration in body, irritability is also an issue (like being irritable for no reason, originating from brain and nervous system?), affective lability, low blood pressure (taking meds made me fatter and increased my BP a little by volume expansion). I had MRI scan some years ago and it was clean, but I am sure I have some kind of nervous system problem along with the mental issues and stress disorder. Just that what the heck it is! Nobody has a clue, doctors don't know and push their meds only (which don't fix the underlying problem here), therapy doesn't address these physiological problems, and I have to pretend they don't exist. Does anyone else get this kind of symptoms?!    

I am so sorry you are really struggling like this!  That is a lot to deal with at once!

I've had some of these symptoms over the years, some now ... but meds help.

My advice ... I would HIGHLY SUGGEST seeing a neurologist.  If you have already seen one, what did they say?

Does your pdoc know about all of this?  Maybe a med tweak or change would help?

Thanks Melissaw72. I have seen two neurologists and they didn't say anything concrete, said it doesn't look like any known neurological syndrome, and put it under the umbrella of depression. But I believe it has some components or mechanisms that are not seen, and I feel I have excitotoxicity in brain, some kind of low-grade inflammation maybe? Researchers also say that depression is/causes inflammation. I have been trying to explain these to pdocs but they don't really listen to me. I am too atypical case. I would be happy to find a solution to these nervous system issues. 

4 hours ago, cottonzilla said:

Thanks Melissaw72. I have seen two neurologists and they didn't say anything concrete, said it doesn't look like any known neurological syndrome, and put it under the umbrella of depression. But I believe it has some components or mechanisms that are not seen, and I feel I have excitotoxicity in brain, some kind of low-grade inflammation maybe? Researchers also say that depression is/causes inflammation. I have been trying to explain these to pdocs but they don't really listen to me. I am too atypical case. I would be happy to find a solution to these nervous system issues. 

(bold) I think the best thing you can do about what I highlighted in bold, is to find 4-5 studies done about what pdoc isn't listening to you about.  Print the studies, then highlight or mark on the papers in RED what you are trying to tell pdoc, and make it as simple as possible to get to the point (this is so they don't have to read the whole entire study).

Bring the studies with you to next appt.  Give them to pdoc, and have him read them while you are sitting there.  I know the appt might not be a full appt (in regards to talking to pdoc) because pdoc is sitting there looking over what you brought in for him to read.  But if this were me, I would do this.  I have done this same thing many times, just not with studies about stuff.  I will sit there while he reads whatever it is I bring in.  I may have only half appt left to actually talk to him, but if something is so important to me for my pdoc to get the concept or, it is totally worth it.  If I don't do that I won't get anywhere.

ie, if you didn't give your pdoc material to look over to prove your point, you won't get past that point.  Maybe your pdoc will read what you brought in, and actually agree with you on what you are trying to tell him, that he hasn't been receptive to.

After your pdoc reads what you gave him, I would ask, 'what do you think about what I brought in? Opinions?' ETC.  So you can talk about it and get a feel for his thought process.

Anyway, this is what I do in similar circumstances.

Thank you for your replies! I'll try to find a way to explain this all to my doc, but it feels difficult because there are too many possibilities and mechanisms, and it's all guessing with all the unspecific symptoms. Who really knows? I do get alot of headaches, and feel I have migraine-like symptoms. 

3 hours ago, cottonzilla said:

I do get alot of headaches, and feel I have migraine-like symptoms. 

IMO this would be a good reason to go back to the neurologist ... I would see neuro and tell him/her about the headaches, and could they be migraines.

Also, have you had second opinions for any of this?  (I'm sorry if I missed this in the posts)

Thanks! I went to my pdoc and it was a good visit. I might get a head scan again soon, just to rule out things. I have visited many many doctors throughout these years, but they mostly shrug and say sorry can't help. At least some of them are honest and say that we don't know that much about brain and neurology after all. I got Desyrel for sleep and will try it soon. The thing is, when I tell all my symptoms, the doc gets confused...so I have to go with clear intention. But it's difficult not to show the whole spectrum. Hopefully I find something. :-)