CrazyBoards.org

Provigil as a mood enhancer

I was given some Provigil, 200 mg but told to start with 100 mg, and I can't see that it's doing anything.

It was to be a mood enhancer and help offset the fogginess of a/c meds.

Did I read somewhere it helps you lose weight?  I'm overweight and if it works for that, maybe it's worth taking even if it's not great for the other purposes.

Again I'm going to semi-quote Jerod, who claims that Provigil was his best-antidepressant ever.

As for me, it helped me with my narcolepsy (and ancillary to that, the BPII depression), though I still have REM latency.

As far as I remember, I believe that 3-month FDA trials with Cephalon showed an average ~1-2 lb. weight loss in narcoleptic patients.  That's not much.  But, it might take a while for the 200mg (the dose that I'm currently on, as well) to kick in.

I didn't notice much of anything on 100, but 200 mg Provigil has certainly helped clear the fog and I feel more awake during the day becuz of it.

It's either that or the little boost it adds to the mix -- but since going up to 200mg my mood has definately improved.

As far as weight reduction .... well, I haven't noticed any changes with Provigil.  Cymbalta, however,  has been working well in this area.

I take Provigil to counteract the drowsiness from Seroquel. I don't notice any added mood stabilzer effect but then I am on other meds too.

I do know someone who takes Provigil for narcolepsy and person was very surprised and happy that Provigil did seem to boost/improve mood.

I have never experinced any weight loss on Provigil, but as always YMMV.

Erika

Hi Shirley,

I started on 100mg and went up to 400mg/day before all agreed that it did nothing for me, not so much as a fart! I didn't lose any weight on it, but as Erika says, everyone's mileage varies.

lily

Archived