CrazyBoards.org

I'm interested in Latuda, having discovered it is now available in my country, although not covered by universal healthcare for BP.

I swore off AAPs years ago because I suffer from cholinergic urticaria aka heat hives. It is a life long condition but often stays dormant for long periods and can be mild. I didn't experience severe symptoms until my Seroquel was raised to 400mg and my body temp would swing from hot to cold, cold to hot etc.

after that I broke out in horrible itchy prickly hives and was honestly restricted to air conditioned places all summer. Couldn't go outside or do anything that made me warm up or sweat.

So I'm frightened of that happening again. I'm also frightened of permanent TD as my schizophrenic grandmother had that and a bunch of tics and tremors which scared me as a kid.

I'd like to know how much you take, have you noticed any body temperature dysregulation, are low doses pretty effective or do most people take a higher dose? What was your dosing titration to begin with? Was 20mg tried for a while or did you go straight to a higher dose?

1 hour ago, mcjimjam said:

I'd like to know how much you take, have you noticed any body temperature dysregulation, are low doses pretty effective or do most people take a higher dose? What was your dosing titration to begin with? Was 20mg tried for a while or did you go straight to a higher dose?

I'm currently taking 40 mg and my body temp is normal. 20 wasn't exactly enough for me, but the entire time I've been on it, it's worked wonders for me. I take it for BP II and it's relaxed a lot of my symptoms. I took 20 mg for a month or two before going up to 40 mg, but that's because that's how long it took for me to realize that I needed a higher dose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2017 at 10:50 AM, Bimbo Bear said:

I'm currently taking 40 mg and my body temp is normal. 20 wasn't exactly enough for me, but the entire time I've been on it, it's worked wonders for me. I take it for BP II and it's relaxed a lot of my symptoms. I took 20 mg for a month or two before going up to 40 mg, but that's because that's how long it took for me to realize that I needed a higher dose.

Thanks for your response. I have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Which symptoms does it help most with? Were you depressed, hypomanic or stable when you started it? Do you feel it treats and prevents both highs and lows?

Does it help with any of your other conditions? What effect has it had on your energy and motivation? Is it stimulating, sedating or neutral? How long before you felt it working?

What other mood stabilisers had you tried beforehand? any side effects?

Edited by mcjimjam

10 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

How was it other than the food thing?

It was all about the food thing! Suppose you're out and no where near food or anywhere that sells food you're kinda screwed! Two nights in arow you've just basically missed two doses! 

• 4 weeks later...

A few recommendations. Like everyone is saying, be sure to take it with food. You can get the Ensure meal shakes that are like 350-500 calories to make that whole process easier if it's inconvenient to take it on a full stomach. At lower doses, Latuda can be more stimulating. So you may have to take it in the morning. Those doses would be 20mg or 40mg. That's how I felt at least the two times that I took it (9 months and 2 weeks). Once you get to 60mg+ then you really have to take it at night because it will be sedating.

It's definitely been told on more than once occasion that people sometimes feel panicky when they take Latuda at least in the beginning. Latuda can have a really rough "burn-in" phase. So if you can get past that, it could be a wonder drug for you.

According to Stephen Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology, for bipolar depression, it is usually dosed between 20-60mg per day. Doses above that in clinical trials weren't really any more beneficial and the higher doses of 80-120mg are usually reserved for schizophrenia. When I took it, I didn't feel like it helped with my intrusive thoughts or my irritability or agitation at all. So in that regard, I didn't find it to be effective for mania. However, it did a reasonably good job at treating my depression. In retrospect, I would take it again with an SSRI as well.