CrazyBoards.org

Hypervigilance

Sometimes I get these "illusion" as one doc said, that aren't full blown psychosis, but I hear people knocking on my door when they aren't there, the other night I saw a "rat" and spent 10 minutes looking for it. Sometimes when I'm driving I hear horns and sirens that I feel are meant for me, even though I'm not sure they are real. I'm maxed out on 2 aps and a benzo...so it seems weird to.get this shit, especially cuz it messes with concentration and I have finals approaching ...meds are in my signature (can't do risperdal/invega) and I've been tired despite my adderall, so I'm hesitant to go to saphris/clozaril mix 

I definitely get those little sparks of "illusion", as you say. But could it partially be brought on (or just made worse) by stress of approaching finals? What has the doctor said about it, since you mentioned talking to one about it.

Edited by jacques

This happened to me almost a year ago. I told my tdoc, and she said she wasn't too concerned initially, but that it was probably stress-related (for me) and that I needed to find a way to de-stress soon. Went to my pdoc, ended up with Xanax PRN, and it hasn't happened since. Stress management has helped tremendously, and Xanax works for those breakthrough times.

Hypervigilance can come from the environment you are in, which goes hand in hand with medication reviews.  So for me it is different.  When I walk into a stressful situation (usually most days) I am hyper vigilant and looking for where trouble could be coming from.  My adrenaline and neurotransmitters spike.  My bipolar is now controlled, therefore my environment needed to be carefully looks at to see if there was an environmental factor.  There was and once discovered, a change had to be made to remove the cause so that I can remain mentally healthy over the long term.  

Looking at my daily logs, it looks very close to rapid cycling.  I was given the ability to make minute med adjustments  in case it was - but it did not make long term changes.  It was clear I was hypervigilant which - on the surface- looked like rapid cycling for me.  When I come away from the known cause, my anxiety and adrenaline decreases and I am completely normal until I go back the same environment again.  Happened very consistently once the cause was discovered. 

Hope that helps in some small way .