CrazyBoards.org

Hello,

I have bipolar disorder and am currently taking:

Lithmax 600mg

Nozinan 25mg

I WAS taking Abilify 1mg (that's a 2mg tablet cut in half) and it works amazing! I am like a normal, shinning new person with a lot of energy and happiness. BUT I had to stop taking it because of a raging headache in my right temple and right eye. 

Strong Pain medication won't touch this headache. I get the headache about 2 hours after I take it, and it stays for the rest of the day. 

The longest stretch I have ever taken abilify is about a week and a half.

I also get a similar headache (not as bad) with invega. Drugs like seroquel and olanzapine do not give me the headache, but they also don't work.

My questions;

Has anyone else experienced this?

if I were to keep taking the abilify, would the headache eventually go away?

Is there anyother antipsychotic very similar to abilify that I could take?

Currently I have been taking Vyvanse in an attempt to replace what I had with Abilify. It's not the same. 

I should also mention that I do get migraines and headaches often and am on a waiting list to see a neurologist.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

9 hours ago, CrazyWhiskers said:

Has anyone else experienced this?

if I were to keep taking the abilify, would the headache eventually go away?

Is there anyother antipsychotic very similar to abilify that I could take?

Currently I have been taking Vyvanse in an attempt to replace what I had with Abilify. It's not the same. 

I should also mention that I do get migraines and headaches often and am on a waiting list to see a neurologist.

Yes, I have experienced abilify headaches.

- IME, if I stay on the dose that gives me the headaches, they don't go away ... it is a constant headache that I had for at least 3 days 24/7. After the 3 days pdoc put me on a lower dose because I couldn't stand the headaches.  And the lower dose worked.

This is something I would bring up with your pdoc.  S/he might know of another antipsychotic (AP) similar to abilify that you could take that might not give you headaches.  Unfortunately it is hard to tell if a med will give you headaches until you try it.  .

- I think that is a good idea that you will be seeing a neurologist for migraines and headaches.