CrazyBoards.org

Ok, so I've had PTSD since 2007 when I was still in the Air Force. My meds just aren't working right to me, and I'm having side effects from one of them. I'm on 1000mg Depakote ER, Cymbalta (I forget how much), and 3mg Risperadone (Risperdal). I was taking 750mg of Depakote and 6mg of Risperadone until recently...we're trying to take me off the Risperadone, so the pdoc is upping the Depakote. I see *a* pdoc in the afternoon (my normal pdoc had to cancel and I wasn't waiting until June to talk to someone...I don't like my experiences with the VA for the most part).

Anyway, so the plan is to take me off the Risperadone, but I have a major concern...I'm already getting really, really irritable! I haven't really been getting *more* angry, but I still get really angry more often than I'd like. But the irritability is driving me nuts and feels like it's getting out of control, and I'm afraid it's starting to interfere with my work, and I work in a call center and they record and listen to the calls...

I also have issues regarding the Depakote. I kinda need to stay on the Depakote because it supposedly helps with my migraines too (which are getting to the point where I'm getting ready to go back on Botox again), so coming off of it and switching to something different may not be an option...I'd want my pdoc to confer with my neurologist before making that decision so they can both make arrangements and changes if necessary. Anyway, I also have narcolepsy. The last time I was on 1000mg of Depakote I almost drove through a bush in the middle of someone's yard. Granted, I wasn't on the stimulant I'm currently taking back then (Nuvigil). But I have concerns that it could make me drowsy again. But like I can take percocet and benedryl and be wide awake, so who knows...I don't normally take pain meds, just when I get kidney stones, but when I do I have to take benedryl because it makes me itch. 

I'll let you know what the pdoc says tomorrow, but I'd love some input on ideas I can discuss with the pdoc on my next visit. I need something for irritability, depression, and anger (preferably no more than 2 meds), and if one of them could help with migraines too (like Depakote) that would be great... 

@Kidney Bean, You might want to consider asking one of the moderators to move this to the PTSD forum....

You could possibly get more feedback there.......Just a thought.........:)

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Risperdal made me really irritable. I would just snap at people and not care at all. Drove me nuts the whole time I was on it, never got any better. I was on Depakote for mood stabilization and migraine prophylaxis, and while it helped my mood, it wasn't effective at helping my migraines. If your neurologist thinks you need a prophylactic, there's always Topamax, but it can have some cognitive impairment for some people.

Have you ever tried Prazosin for PTSD? I hear good things about it. I have a coworker with PTSD (was in the Army) and it works very well for him.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, and yes, if a moderator could move this to the PTSD forum if that would be better that would be great.

So, update...apparently, the VA was wrong when the scheduled the appointment...it *was* with my normal pdoc, not a fill-in. We agreed that the level of Cymbalta I'm on should go up, but because we're adjusting the Depakote and Risperadone we're going to wait on that for now. We're staying at 3mg of Risperidone for now since my irritability is higher than it's been. That said, she decided to increase the Depakote again (probably for the last time. So, I'm now taking 1,500mg of Depakote (yikes). The first couple of days I was really drowsy, but today wasn't too terribly bad...hopefully it gets better. Too soon to tell if the irritability is stabilizing or not...hopefully it does...

Prazosin has really helped my nightmares and the quality of my sleep. I'm on 10mg now.

Update: so, even being on the increased Depakote my irritability was going haywire, so I parked my butt in the VA's office until I was seen. They decided to keep me on the Depakote since it has benefits for my migraines as well, I'm still on the 3mg of Risperidone for now (but we do want me to come off of it), they increased my Cymbalta from 60mg once daily to 60mg twice daily, and they added Baclofen 5mg twice daily to hopefully relax me and calm me down...I was on Prednisone for the past week though, so I don't know yet if this new mixture will work, but we'll see. I figure I'll give it two weeks and if my irritability is still unacceptable then I'll go back to the drawing board...we're apparently really limited on what meds I can take due to my narcolepsy, my kidney disease, other meds I'm taking, etc...

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to tell you all that I recently was prescribed Saphris 9atypical anti-psychotic) as adjunct treatment for Major Depression-recurrent, suicidal ideation. It didn't work for me for that, but surprising to me, it has totally done away with my exaggerated startle response. Also taking Paxil 60mg; Benadryl 50mg; Syntghroid .1mg.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheTeach
      Okay, I've always had EXCELLENT blood sugar, and I know the data about Cymbalta and A1C (that there can be an increase, but it's typically marginal and generally considered worth the risk).  Anyway, there seems to be a correlation between me starting Cymbalta (initially at 30 mg. coming off Viibryd and gradually getting to my current 90 mg. dosage).  At first the blood sugar spikes weren't very big, but now they are...my blood sugar is high way too often.  My A1C is still within totally normal range, but it's noticeably up.  My pdoc and the NP I see at my primary care doctor both think Cymbalta probably isn't the cause.  There is no other reason I can think of.  I've lost 20 lbs., my diet hasn't changed.  As far as I know there's no infection in my body.  Now this has been going on since December.  The numbers have only really become concerning to me since April.  I used to have blood sugar that often dipped a bit too low, so this is just so weird to me.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a significant rise in blood sugar on Cymbalta?  Nothing else changed with my medication, except I went off Buspar (and I doubt that is a factor).  I have tried so many anti-depressants like many of you, and I really like Cymbalta, so I'm really hoping I don't have to go off it, because Viibryd and Trintillex were my other 2 best options, and I had side effects with both of them.  I can't do things like Pristiq because of extreme sweating, which is too bad, because that was the only side effect I had. There are very few anti-depressants I haven't tried. I ended up on Cymbalta (and my pdoc, who I have seen for 15 years was shocked we'd never tried it), because we discovered that Viibryd was a big contributor to my tiredness (I have what is currently diagnosed as Idiopathic Hypersomnia, although my doctors believe it could be Narcolepsy II...it's not Narcolepsy I, because I had a Lumbar Puncture.  I've also had 2 MSLTs, but my doctor says they are irrelevant, because I was on my meds...they did still show Idiopathic Hypersomnia.  After going off all psych meds last Summer (and feeling like I was suffocating most of the time and just feeling like I was living outside my body), I never want to do that again, so I'm content with not knowing which sleep disorder it is since the doctor says it really doesn't make a difference as far as treatment).  It was in slowly going back on my medications that I realized Viibryd was making me tired.  My pdoc and I also then concluded I no longer needed the Buspar.  I haven't missed it at all.  Any experiences with blood sugar and Cymbalta would be helpful!  I appreciate you all!
    • By Skeletor
      I welcome you to rate all the psychotropic drugs which you took in the past or are taking in the present. A short explanation of your experience with the drug(s) would be helpful, so that we better understand your rating.
      Oh, and please tell us which conditions you treat(ed). Thanks.
      Rating Scale is from 0 to 5... "zero" being the worst, "five" being the best.
      _______________________________________________________________________________
      Sertraline 2 / 5 - subtle effects. Did help with psychosomatic ailments, derealization and cognition, but caused SSRI-typical apathy & indifference. Not sure if it did anything for my social anxiety and psychomotor agitation. At most minor effects. I did take it for two years.
      Mirtazapine 2 / 5 - elephant tranquilizer. Didn't like the severe sedation. Didn't sleep well on it, bad dreams. Caused RLS. Was good for appetite, weight gain and IBS. I was on it for two weeks.
      Promethazine Syrup / Drops 20mg / ml | 3 / 5 - I rather liked that one. At a lowish dose (15 drops or so) it has a nice calming effect on me, without sedating me too much. Lowers anxiety and agitated states. Brings order into chaos. Good for appetite and stomach. I take it occasionally.
      N-acetylcysteine (NAC) 2.5 / 5 - Is a good supplement. Heightened focus, less derealization, world seems more colorful. Interesting stuff. Definitely worth a try.
      Conditions treated: Anxiety, depressive states, psychomotor agitation, somatization disorder.
    • By CrazyCatLady83
      I started process of switching from Cymbalta to Remeron on March 25, and took my last dose of Cymbalta a few days ago. Other than a few days of extreme irritability, things have been going surprisingly smoothly. Except that I can't sleep. Not really. I'm rapid-cycling between moments of being awake and instantly dreaming as soon as I close my eyes. The waking moments seem precipitated by startling effects in the dream state, that usually have nothing to do with the content of the dream itself. The worst of these is the sudden sensation of being physically attacked by an evil presence. It seems to take me a little bit longer to wake up during these instances. Or at least that's how I perceive it.
      How much of this is potentially the residual Cymbalta withdrawal effects, and how much of this is the "strange or unusual dreams" listed as a possible side effect of the Remeron? 
      And more importantly, how long can I expect this to last? If you experienced disturbed dreams while on Remeron, how long did it last for you, and did it turn out to be a deal breaker?
    • By bpjett
      Doctor has me on
      200mg Lamictal [100mg bid]
      &
      750 mg Depakote [250mg tid] 
      When I when to the pharmacy, they said there was a RED ALERT. I know that Depakote decreases the clearance of Lamictal, my question is by how much? Anyone know? Does the dosage of Depakote matter? Like if I went to 1000mg of Depakote would that increase my Lamictal level even more?