CrazyBoards.org

I'm on 900mg of Seroquel XR, which I take each night about half an hour before going to sleep. I've been on this dose for over a year, previously higher. 

I'm usually OK in the mornings if I have tasks to do. However, I had a morning meeting at 8am today and I almost passed out, letters changed on the paper in front of me, felt dizzy from drowsiness, and I think someone from the other firm noticed, which isn't really acceptable in my line of work. I've had this before, so it's not a once off. Does anyone have tips of how to be more alert in the morning? I can't drink coffee because of physical health stuff, and I find that the drowsiness from Seroquel for me starts to come on within 45 minutes (maybe because of the size of the dose). Really hoping to find a way to combat this. 

@survivingbp, Maybe you could ask your pdoc if you could try Seroquel IR instead of the XR ?

I have previously tried both versions, and both were taken at night.........I found that the IR left me much less groggy in the morning, and the XR made me feel like I was in a fog for most of the day.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

The sedation from Seroquel IR was one of the things I never adapted to. Even at low (50mg) doses, I would be sleepy and almost hungover the next morning. I would sleep through multiple alarm clocks and was late to work enough that I got in trouble. If I didn't have to go anywhere, I would get up the next day, eat, and go back to sleep because of the drowsiness. My body just couldn't adapt to the next-day hangover. I tried coffee, energy drinks, etc, and nothing helped.

I was only on XR for a month, and it seemed to help with the night-time sedation, but it still made me hungover the next day. 

I took XR for a while, my pdoc told me to take it three hours before bedtime. Perhaps that might make a difference? 

I prefer the IR actually, it sucks when I have to get up at 1am and let my puppy outside, kinda walking into walls, but by 4am (I go to bed at 9:30) I'm good to go. 

I was told to take the XR at 6-7pm, because it takes a few hours to kick in. Maybe try that if it doesn't contradict your pdocs instruction. 

Provigil might help too. It is way to expensive here (Aus) but it seems elsewhere insurance will pay for it without needing to be narcoleptic.

I can't take the IR - I used to be on it but it doesn't hold my symptoms throughout the day. I also previously was taking it at different times during the day and wasn't able to function for half hour blocks after I took it. 

I'll try taking it a little earlier, but I do get tired quite quickly from it (maybe due to dosage), so if that becomes an issue, I'll just do so on days when I have early meetings.  

@mcjimjam also Australia based so don't think I'll be able to get Provigil. 

Edited by survivingbp

9 minutes ago, survivingbp said:

I can't take the IR - I used to be on it but it doesn't hold my symptoms throughout the day. I also previously was taking it at different times during the day and wasn't able to function for half hour blocks after I took it. 

I'll try taking it a little earlier, but I do get tired quite quickly from it (maybe due to dosage), so if that becomes an issue, I'll just do so on days when I have early meetings.  

@mcjimjam also Australia based so don't think I'll be able to get Provigil. 

It costs about $150 a month as a private script. Extras might make it a bit cheaper. Some doctors may be willing to write an authority script saying you have narcolepsy so you can get it on the PBS. I've had GP say that I am epileptic so I can get Lamictal covered.

I am on Seroquel xr 800mg and  take it approximately 12 hours before i have to get up to avoid morning sedation. So i had to be up at 6:30 this am and i took my medication at 7pm last night. I'm still tired in the morning but not sedated

• 2 months later...

Honestly I've taken Seroquel low dosages for over a decade.

The sluggishness gets a little better but never quite goes away completely...

I tried the XR but it honestly felt like a totally different drug, didn't like it at all...

It's a major sedative, and was labeled as such previously.  There's no way around it.

Edited by BrianOCD

• 4 months later...

I recently started taking Seroquel XR (300 mg), and it's very difficult for me to wake up in the morning. I often feel like I just can't get out of bed. I usually feel sleepy for maybe 1-2 hours after waking up.

On some mornings it's so bad, I'm scared I'll fall asleep while driving to school.

4 hours ago, Backpack said:

I recently started taking Seroquel XR (300 mg), and it's very difficult for me to wake up in the morning. I often feel like I just can't get out of bed. I usually feel sleepy for maybe 1-2 hours after waking up.

On some mornings it's so bad, I'm scared I'll fall asleep while driving to school.

When do you take it? I’ve been advised to take it in the early evening (like 7ish) to avoid hangover effects.

23 minutes ago, Swamp56 said:

When do you take it? I’ve been advised to take it in the early evening (like 7ish) to avoid hangover effects.

I take it around 9pm but I do not feel the sedating effect before 11pm. I usually feel sedated until 10am.