CrazyBoards.org

I'm allowed to be angry!!!

People can be such assholes.  I don't wear a sign that says "I'm Bi Polar" but I really don't think my tolerance for asshole people has anything to do with my MI.  Which brings me to this question.  Do you think BP is brought on by your life's dealings and your coping skills OR a brain chemical imbalance.  I truly wonder this.  I have a lot of stressors in my life, although I had a shitty childhood.  I got pregnant when I was just 20.  My career is really fucking stressful.  Had it completely messed with my head or was I born this way? 

• Like 1

Hey Asha

I can not say it is one thing or the other but going by my life it is a mixture of both,

Yes you can be angry, I am hating myself right now

Atleast you know you are having problems, Depending on where you live you I am sure someone will be able to help you.

If you feel like venting you can PM me

I wish you the best

Carey

Edited by .id
Edit

There are definitely a lot of components at work in mental illness, especially BP. To the best of my understanding, the foundational problem is a neurochemical imbalance in the brain, primarily related to dopamine. This will persist forever, and cannot be resolved. only managed. However, episodes can be triggered by multiple different environmental factors, or can simply be the result of neurochemical imbalance. Personally, I've found that it takes a combination of learning appropriate coping skills, stress management, sleep hygiene, and the right meds. It's truly a delicate balance and requires a lot of work to maintain all of those areas. 

I find I don't have much tolerance for asshole people either. I don't know that it's related to BP or not, but I tend to dismiss people I dislike rather quickly.

From what I have read, apparently BP has a strong genetic factor but it's possible for a stressful/shitty environment to be more likely to "activate" the genes, so really it's all a combination of many factors. 

Regardless, your stress is no less real than anyone else's. And I know personally that if I'm in certain episodes or it's certain times of year, I think my tolerance for jerks is lower or at least my reactions can be more explosive because of my MIs, and I know that's usually a mood lability thing. Though it can be an anxiety stress response for me too.

I think it is a brain disease brought on by genetics. Although my parents divorced when I was ten and my dad has a lot of issues, overall I had a good upbringing. No abuse, never wanted for anything.

I also have a very short fuse and I guess you would say anger management issues. I don't know if that is part of my MI as it is not restricted to mania. I guess depression can make people angry, too. So yeah, it probably is.

My paternal grandmother was diagnosed with manic depression in the 1950's, so I know, with no shadow of a doubt, there's a genetic factor for me. My childhood was very messy, and I got sick quite young. 

My brother had the same risk factors I had, roughly speaking. He's four years younger, he's male, and he had to put up with my parents' marriage for less of his life. He's fine, though. 

On 4/27/2017 at 10:39 PM, Gearhead said:

My paternal grandmother was diagnosed with manic depression in the 1950's, so I know, with no shadow of a doubt, there's a genetic factor for me. My childhood was very messy, and I got sick quite young. 

My brother had the same risk factors I had, roughly speaking. He's four years younger, he's male, and he had to put up with my parents' marriage for less of his life. He's fine, though. 

My grandmother too!  Although my grandpa was a real asshole.  Mentally adusive.  My mom told me last year, in light of my official diagnosis, that my grandpa left her at the psych ward in the late 70s and refused to take care of her.  She is BP 1.  I'm 2.  Although, I think if I didn't reach out for help with my husband's support things could have very well escalated for me.  I do a lot of thinking back through the years, like holy shit.  I can't believe I acted that way.  I cant believe I did that.

i think my mom is undiagnosed too.  She's mentioned it to me.  My dad beat my mom.  They divorced when I was young, but drugs and alcohol took over.  They both married assholes that treated me like a piece of shit.  My dad has a crazy anger problem as well.  I was doomed from the start, pretty much!  Although, I don't play the victim.  I just have a lot of animosity towards my childhood.  I'm managed to remain close to my mom, but it's been very hard. 

Now, I worry about my youngest daughter ? It scares me to death to think that one of my girls could have to live with what I have.  Or is the way she acts learned behavior from me being unledicated for so much of her life?  

On 4/27/2017 at 10:33 PM, mcjimjam said:

I think it is a brain disease brought on by genetics. Although my parents divorced when I was ten and my dad has a lot of issues, overall I had a good upbringing. No abuse, never wanted for anything.

I also have a very short fuse and I guess you would say anger management issues. I don't know if that is part of my MI as it is not restricted to mania. I guess depression can make people angry, too. So yeah, it probably is.

I absolutely think anger is a huge part of it!  It's my main symptom.  I can tear someone apart unmedicated or if my meds are off.  Irritation as in I'm crawling in my own skin.  I'm not sure if it's the mania or depression side, because I have other symptoms as well.  I require no sleep.  I have paranoia.  I talk fast.  I lay in bed for days.  I obsess over things like a guitar chord in a song.  I can't deal with people chewing.  I love confrontation.  Although, bummer for my husband. Hyper sexuality is not one of my things ? 

My rage, and obsession are products of my symptoms. 

BD is neurodegenerative and genetic. 

Mood episodes are caused by environmental factors and neural chemistry. 

BD is experienced differently by everyone.

Possible your husband is fortunate. As acting on hypersexual urges can ruin relationships. 

Mixed states are... unpleasant. Politely speaking. 

En Todas 

-Toas