CrazyBoards.org

I posted something like this under anti-depressants because I was talking to a psychiatrist and he prescribed abilify or zyprexa for anxiety and sleep problems. He said it might make me feel better. 

So was it just for the anxiety/sleep problems or does it serve another purpose? Also what kind of experiences have you had with either of those?

11 hours ago, vfifii said:

So was it just for the anxiety/sleep problems or does it serve another purpose? Also what kind of experiences have you had with either of those?

Abilify works as an anti-psychotic (AP) for me.  Helps to get rid of the voices.  It doesn't work for me for anxiety.

Zyprexa made me sleepy/groggy, and did help with sleep.  But it also increased my appetite.  I didn't gain a lot at the time when I took it, but I did gain weight.

Anxiety and sleep are off label uses of these drugs, meaning they are not officially licensed and marketed to treat those conditions.

More often they are used for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression. 

Zyprexa made me quite calm but very hungry and I put on weight.

I've only been on Abilify a week so still early days but so far I think it's helping to lift my mood a lot. It has caused some difficulty sleeping through the night, though.