CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone.I'm wondering if anyone else here ruminates endlessly on every perceived slight,both real and imagined, the way I do.I know that excessive rumination is very closely tied to depression and I'm beginning to realize how much the near  constant stream of negative thoughts keeps me from ever truly healing.My depression has been severe at times and the rumination is largely what is feeding it.Over the years I have gotten a bit better at controlling it.I'm able now to sometimes recognize that my depression lies to me,that some of what I feel is a distortion of the truth.However,there are days where I struggle to not replay every painful event in my recent life and sometimes distant past, on an endless loop.Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on how to conquer this sort of thinking? Thanks.

Rumination is also related to OCD.  I have Pure-O and have the hardest time with ruminating thoughts.

What helps me when ruminating is distraction (although sometimes easier said than done), sleeping, talking to pdoc.

Idk if this will help, but is an idea of what ruminating is about, and some ideas at the end of the article of how to conquer it. 

https://ocdlife.ca/the-evil-mind-work-of-ruminating/

Edited by melissaw72
mis-spelled a word
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for responding.Melissa, what you said about OCD makes sense to me as I did suffer from harm and sexuality doubt OCD when I was much,much younger.Somehow I was able to leave those two forms of OCD behind but the constant replay of every negative encounter I've ever had remains.I feel as if I just have a brain that's wired to hold onto all the bad and quickly release all the good.It feels torturous at times and it absolutely keeps the depression going.At least I'm catching on to how my brain operates,that's got to be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

I use something I was taught years ago. My Drs nurse told me it's like when someone tells you don't think about an elephant and then that's all you can think about. So she told me to pick something else to focus on rather than try not to think about something. For me, I try to switch to thinking about my dogs when I get into a negative loop. It has some degree of success but not all the time, still, it's made a big difference for me. I realize it's not for everyone and people have scoffed at it before, but I'm just sharing what has been helpful for me. It doesn't take the place of meds and therapy but it's helped me get through patches of rehashing every slight I've ever experienced.  YMMV of course. 

• Like 1

Rumination is the focused attention of the symptoms of one's distress, and on it's possible causes and consequences as opposed to its solution. Both rumination and worry are associated with anxiety and other negative emotional states. rumination has been implicated in the development, maintenance, and aggravation of both depressive symptoms as well as episode of major depression.