CrazyBoards.org

How to stop many thoughts

Maybe if you gave a little more information it would be helpful:

I don't know what you have already tried or discussed with your doctor.

Are you trying to fecide between a couple options you have talked about?

Are you still on the lithium and lexapro?

has this gotten better or worse with any change in these meds?

Have you tried a few different APs?

I just don't really have much info.

~navy~

While we're waiting for someone with significant input to respond, I have a few thoughts. 

One:  try to relax.  Be sure to breathe fully. 

Two:  try to focus on one single thing.  A crystal in a light fixture.  The cap on a pen.  Something.  Think about the simplest aspect of that object.  When your thoughts try to run away, bring them back to the one aspect of the one object. 

Failing this, I often resort to Three:  sing.  If I'm thinking about the lyrics and breathing and remaining on key, my brain is less likely to go splodey. 

And finally, what I almost always recommend:  go for a walk.  The movement of my feet makes the spinning of my thoughts bearable, putting them a little bit further away. 

I don't know if any of this will help, but these are things which have helped me at different times in the past. 

Okay!  First, I have not talked to my pdoc about options.  I think I always assumed only an AP would do the trick.  Plus, we have been focusing on other things at the moment.  I am going there on Tues., but I really want to know what the actual consumer has tried.

Two things that have addressed busy mind type things for me- lamictal and neurontin.

Neurontin is used for a lot of different things. I think it really depends on how your doctor feels about it. And hard to tell if it would work for you.  But it is at times helpful for anxiety and so maybe helpful for the things that you are trying to get a handle on.

Lamictal worked well as a stabilizer, but at as little as 50 mgs I started to notice a 'quieting'. My head didn't feel so busy. Some people find it a little activating some sedating. A lot of times the effects go away. Sometimes people can't continue to take it. It has been really helpful for me.

I was actually considering provigil for a while. But something else might be strattera? I've never tried this but it may help with the motivation and help with some focus issues which may in turn help the repetitions.

It's hard, because I don't know *exactly* how these thoughts are for you.

Another thing that might help is to just write every once in a while for a certain amount of time. For five minutes, stream of consciousness and don't stop until the time is up. Sometimes it helps.

~navy~

Kathy,

What are your dx(s)?

There are a lot of types or these thoughts, with difference causes. 

For example, I have two types of intrusive/ruminating thoughts.

The first come from social anxiety.  "oh my god, i shouldn'g have done that... etc, ad nauseaum rehash keep me up till 2am stfu stupid brain."

for men, for this type of thoghts, celexa worked wonders, and so have klonopin and xanax.  i'm trying out lyrica (a new anti convulsant related to neurontin) but the jury is sill out on that one.

The other kind of annoying intrusive loud thoughs I had, oddly, came from my previously un diagnosed ADD.  once i got on adderall, i stopped being overwhelmed by incomming information and those thoughts stopped.

So, as you can see, annoying intrusive thoughts can come from a lot of places, and aren't always treated by APs. 

Knowing your dx's and where you think these thoughts come from (like what diagnosis) will help you find the right med.

take care,

penny

This is the only advice I'm going to give you that's direct from the world's most idiotic physician, my aunt, Dr. Tomasina Cruise.

"Have you tried meditation?"

I agree with her response (well except the part where she said I should get off the meds).  Meditate however's best for you.  Hell, I do it by blasting (heavy metal!) music on my headphones and really really getting into it, finding beauty in the melody and lyrics, translating the lyrics of my German music so they can be sung parsimoniously in English, and analyzing the more technical aspects like chord progression.  Yes, heavy metal can be beautiful... heard of the power ballad? (As a starter, I personally recommend "Piano Song" or "Unconcerned" by Submersed.)  Really, music is an easy thing to get into (for me, at least).

If your idea of meditation is peace and quiet, sitting Indian-style and rubbing your thumbs and forefingers together, going "lama-lama-lama-lama-lama-lama" or "OMMMMMMMM", then do that.  My CTD has made my legs extremely long and inflexible to the point where I can't even sit Indian-style, but hey, do what's best for you.  I hear yoga helps, also... going to get into that as soon as I can (but I'll probably get made fun of b/c I'm young and skinny, and yet, viciously inflexible).

If your idea of meditation is taking long drives on a regular basis (I like doing this too, esp. with the music on), then do that.  At least if you can afford the gas... I'm glad my car gets over 30MPG (13KPL) on our highways and country roads.

Maybe it'll take some testing around before you find what your type of meditation is... but I'm sure it'll be worth it.  It took me a long time to realize that my music habit was in fact a form of meditation, which is when I got even more into it, which had more positive effects.  One of these days, when I have money, I'm going to start voice lessons and teach myself the guitar (electric, with distortion pedals of course =D). 

As a final word of guidance, work hard to find your interest.  That's probably where your potential in meditation lies.

Meditation and medication, do in fact, make a formidable combination.  MI doesn't stand a chance... well okay, it definitely does, but it's goin' down, well part way at least!

Heya,

Herrfous, think I've met your aunt. How many clones does she have?

;)

Kathy, I agree re.any old form of meditation.

I have found it through many things.

Scrubbing things (floors, shower doors), which is not very feminist of me but hell, whatever works.

Exercise, swimming, biking, snowshoeing, even treadmilling on the elliptical trainer at the gym (although when treadmilling I also read and listen to my MP3).

Crocheting, while the TV is on, or a movie I know by rote.

Those work for me.

Whatever works for you, to dissociate a little and focus on something other than your nasty MI thoughts.

--ncc--

You reminded me of one more thing, ncc1701...

Exercise!  When I was on my hypomanic binge, I loved rapid cycling (er, again, the exercise, NOT the mood state).  Did it for at least 5 months straight, covered more than the width of North America in the process.  Lost 20 lbs. of baby fat and gained 20 lbs. of muscle.  Dissolved a lot of anger in the process (anger would come out with my hypomania), as well.  It helped to think about all the teasing I got during school for being unathletic (hey, my 1 mile run time is now down from 10:30 to 5:50, barring tendonitis!) and to add insult to insult, my mom's bitching when I was younger ("why can't you be more athletic like all the other boys are???", when she furthermore bitched to my 10th grade gym teacher that I got a B in that class.  Gym teacher's response?  "Well, he's not terribly fit, and he's not too much into the concept of sports, so...").  The stuff I got from Mom especially "helped" to make me a better cyclist. 

Ironic, then, that in July, she told me "is exercising that much safe?!?!".  I replied to her exactly what she said to me 7 years ago, and left the house on yet another 35 mile trip up and down the paved trail we had in Indiana.  I almost told her then and there that she could shove the old insult up her c*nt, but I really do lack the pair required to say that... and plus, I know she's f'ed in the head, just like me, so not very understanding to do that. =D

(I'm afraid, when the weather's consistently warm enough in another 2-4 weeks or so, to return to the W&OD Trail in Virginia, as I'm not going to be blasting past every single other cyclist on there anymore during my climb up Catoctin Mtn.)

Heya,

Herrfous, think I've met your aunt. How many clones does she have?

;)

Kathy, I agree re.any old form of meditation.

I have found it through many things.

Scrubbing things (floors, shower doors), which is not very feminist of me but hell, whatever works.

Exercise, swimming, biking, snowshoeing, even treadmilling on the elliptical trainer at the gym (although when treadmilling I also read and listen to my MP3).

Crocheting, while the TV is on, or a movie I know by rote.

Those work for me.

Whatever works for you, to dissociate a little and focus on something other than your nasty MI thoughts.

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea!  Great advice everyone!

I am definitely going the route of exercise, meditation, stop signs and writing.  (Just can't write at night because I end up thinking about what I wrote and then thinking of more that I want to say!)

Will look into a low dose of an AP.  I just figured if 2mg of risp didn't help, then a smaller one wouldn't either.  Maybe just a different one.

Deep inside me, I think the adderall will help.  I just don't want to go the route of developing a tolerance, upping the dose, developing a tolerance, upping the dose.

Oh, and I definitely need a hobby.

I guess the next obstacle will be finding the motivation to do all this.  I have never followed through on anything.  I am more of an idea girl.  Oh well.  But, the good news is that I am definitely at that point where changes need to be made and they need to be made now.

Well, I guess I was hoping for some quick magic.  "Poof!  You have been fixed."  I know, it's all about me and finding that something deep inside.

Thank you again for listening to me and responding!  The board is also for finding good people with alot of great ideas.

Have a sunny day!

Kathryn ;)

Archived