CrazyBoards.org

Can taking an antidepressant with lamictal cause increased anxiety?

I've always had a hard time taking antidepressants. Several times I ended up in the psych ward within 3 days after starting a new antidepressant feeling like I'm having a nervous breakdown. I'm on amitriptyline now. I ended up in the ER with high blood pressure when I tried to go from 25 mg to 50 mg. My anxiety was through the roofed as well. I was taking lamictal but stopped because I felt increasing it was giving me insomnia and anxiety. Now I'm not too sure anymore. I'm wondering if my antidepressant intolerance was wreaking havoc on taking lamictal since lamictal is stimulating as well. I'm wondering if the combination could cause overstimulation knowing my history with antidepressants.

I take lamictal, but I'm not on any SSRIs anymore (I've been on them ALL).  I take latuda now, and it's truly amazing stuff.  I think with any intro of medicine, at least for myself, my anxiety always spikes.  Even when I was going up a dose of current meds, anxiety spikes like I'm about to have a freaking breakdown.  Then it subsides after 3-5 days and I'm good again, living life.  Key is to be open with your Dr.  I finally found an amazing psych doc, and his office staff is just as equally amazing.  Makes a world of difference when your concerns are heard, and something is done.  

• Like 1

Lamictal is not necessarily stimulating. It can be sedating, in fact. Its mostly at the very low doses people find it gives insomnia or anxiety. Once over 100mg it was very neutral for me. Not sedating nor stimulating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I take lamictal and zoloft, and it doesn't seem to increase my anxiety. In fact, when we lowered my zoloft dose in response to a hypomanic episode, my anxiety, which had been pretty well managed spiked. We increased my lamictal from 200mg to 250mg, which knocked the anxiety back down.