CrazyBoards.org

I have chronic tic disorder and am curious about pharmacological help.  I have a few simple and complex motor tics that aren't exactly debilitating, but they are annoying and affect me at work.  I work with kids and get asked "why do you do that weird thing with your eyes?" and stuff like that.  Sleep deprivation tends to make the tics a lot worse.  I'm on seroquel and it has been helping me sleep much better, so I've noticed a reduction, but they're still around.  I've read that abilify has shown promising results in at least one study for helping tic disorder.  

I didn't see a subforum for tic disorders, so I figured I'd just post it here since BP is still my primary diagnosis and adding another AAP would likely impact my mood as well.  If anyone has any experience with anything like this, I'd love to hear about it.  

12 hours ago, Rabbity9 said:

I have chronic tic disorder and am curious about pharmacological help.  I have a few simple and complex motor tics that aren't exactly debilitating, but they are annoying and affect me at work.  I work with kids and get asked "why do you do that weird thing with your eyes?" and stuff like that.  Sleep deprivation tends to make the tics a lot worse.  I'm on seroquel and it has been helping me sleep much better, so I've noticed a reduction, but they're still around.  I've read that abilify has shown promising results in at least one study for helping tic disorder.  

I didn't see a subforum for tic disorders, so I figured I'd just post it here since BP is still my primary diagnosis and adding another AAP would likely impact my mood as well.  If anyone has any experience with anything like this, I'd love to hear about it.  

I have it with eyes and tounge. Not to severe, it comes and goes over the years so its never been an issue. 

1 hour ago, Southern Discomfort said:

I did actually start a thread in the NOS sub forum. 

I'm currently taking aripiprazole to help with my tics. It's the best one for treating tics in the AAP family.

Yeah my old doctor made that claim- I am skeptical- these meds don't do everything. Did it work?

50 minutes ago, Yuna said:

Yeah my old doctor made that claim- I am skeptical- these meds don't do everything. Did it work?

Not yet. We're aiming at 20 mg. So far it's pretty much the same. I haven't had any "attacks" for a while though which is really what I wanted to go, I don't mind if I tic.

On 5/2/2017 at 11:43 AM, Southern Discomfort said:

I did actually start a thread in the NOS sub forum. 

I'm currently taking aripiprazole to help with my tics. It's the best one for treating tics in the AAP family.

Cool, I will take all tic-related topics there in the future!

Interesting to hear someone else trying out Abilify.  I'll definitely check back to hear how it worked for you.  I'm going to talk to my pdoc about trying aripiprazole on Monday.  He might prefer to wait a bit since I haven't been on the seroquel for very long let.  It'd be nice to have a quick fix, but I know that's not really how these things work.

9 hours ago, Rabbity9 said:

Cool, I will take all tic-related topics there in the future!

Interesting to hear someone else trying out Abilify.  I'll definitely check back to hear how it worked for you.  I'm going to talk to my pdoc about trying aripiprazole on Monday.  He might prefer to wait a bit since I haven't been on the seroquel for very long let.  It'd be nice to have a quick fix, but I know that's not really how these things work.

Yeah, can't say if it's helped yet, I'm not on week 5. It can take up to 8 weeks, I think. I'm also not on the target dose anyway which is 20 mg so still the ways. I did actually have a nosy at the Yale Tic Scale and jot down a number, gonna see what it's like in a months time or so. But yeah, see what quetiapine does for you first.

Ho.  Ly.  Shit.  I have never looked at the Yale Tic Scale before and apparently have more tic behaviors than I thought. For instance, "evening up" which is feeling like your body has to be even.  I just thought I was really bad at relaxing, because I constantly have to adjust because my body does not feel symmetrical.  

I've always thought of the ticing as a minor annoyance but the more I look into it, the more I think treating it could substantially improve my life.  I get bad headaches that are probably from the weird facial tensing.  

Man, our brains and bodies are weird.

Yeah, pretty much. I scored 37 the last time I did it just before I started taking aripiprazole. Honestly I don't mind if my tics go away completely, I just want to times when I get semi tic attacks to go. And as strange as it might sound I've kind of grown accustomed to have Tourette's and it kind of interests me when a new tic comes along.