CrazyBoards.org

Do you still have symptoms when you're on medication?

I take my antipsychotic like I'm supposed to and my delusional thinking still flares up. I will be symptom free for awhile and then it comes back. The only one that it didn't happen on was clozapine and I had to stop it because of blood sugar and sedation. Is this something that usually happens?

It's a back and forth thing.  I have been dealing with them since I was 12, so I have my moments.  I am on three AAPs.  And they still happen.  I get so tired of the commentary, but they never stop.  Delusional thinking and stuff, have not stopped.  It does happen.

This has been happening to me recently... I'm on 800mg of Seroquel and I still have breakthrough hallucinations and transient paranoia. I was lucky in the past in that my illness would go into a deep remission after treatment with no breakthrough symptoms until the next relapse.

9 hours ago, Dusk said:

I take my antipsychotic like I'm supposed to and my delusional thinking still flares up. I will be symptom free for awhile and then it comes back. The only one that it didn't happen on was clozapine and I had to stop it because of blood sugar and sedation. Is this something that usually happens?

(bold) ... Idk if it is something that usually happens, but it can happen sometimes.

I have the same problem but with the audible voices.  I'm usually fine, but when my stress level goes up, I might hear the voices off and on again.  Abilify really helped this, as well as trazodone (for whatever reason, if I take 200 mg of it, it keeps the voices at bay; usually used as a sleep med, but it doesn't work that way for me unless over 200 mg). 

YMMV though.

Maybe need a med tweak/increase?

I would definitely talk to your pdoc about this.

• Like 1

I have consistently been on mood stabilizers and antipsychotics since 2013, yet in the past year I have managed to have quite a bit of breakthrough psychosis, mostly in the form of paranoia and visual hallucinations, along with many mood episodes. My psychosis does appear to be made worse by stress, since it is by far at its worst when I am at work and it is at its best at home, and according to my tdoc it seems to be at its very worst on Mondays.

I'm on one AP and one AAP and I still get breakthrough symptoms. Most recently with thought broadcasting and voices, although I've never taken a medication that could control my voices. I'm just waiting to get clozaril now, so hopefully that will make things better.

Depression / depressing things.   I guess this will sound subtle but depressing things happen.  They happen to everyone.   But its different then having depression.  So the answer for me is yes, sorta.   And Anxiety is somewhat similar.  There is "Anxiety" when you can't sit still, can't function in the least and there is some series of things that build up to make things Anxious.   Possibly even enough to make taking a prn drug like Xanax or Valium a good idea.  But in terms of daily life I think therapy and meds make these things the exception rather then the norm.   I think the "exception" is probably close to the average persons issues exist.  I think I'm not quite there but I'm far from the daily fucked up state where taking the prn drugs a lot is the only way to come close to functional.   Maybe functional is the norm?  I don't know. 

I would end by saying that occassional issues if rare are not concerning to me.   Its when they happen more often then not that I start things in motion to either ask to change or readjust meds or do therapy more then a couple times a month or less.

Like the book said "Don't Panic" or something like that.

Yes, I get breakthrough symptoms despite being on meds. Meds don't fully cover everything, I must "do the work" all of the time for prevention.

If I don't get enough sleep, need to adjust to something completely new/out of my routine, or have added stress, if it's a certain time of month.....my symptoms get much worse. It'd be nice to find a great "magic bullet" prn for these times.

7 hours ago, HAL9000 said:

I would end by saying that occassional issues if rare are not concerning to me.   Its when they happen more often then not that I start things in motion to either ask to change or readjust meds or do therapy more then a couple times a month or less.

I agree with this for me too. Exactly right.  Well said!

Abilify pretty much completely obliterated my psychotic, manic, and mixed episodes. Unfortunately it made my hair fall out. Zyprexa works flawlessly on them, but I only take it when I need it, because It has a rather unpleasant side effect profile. But when there's a bobcat trying to kill you, it's hard to get to the Zyprexa bottle. So I suffer the bad stuff here and there so I don't have to suffer the other bad stuff.

I'm fortunate that I can take it PRN, but it's not unusual for everything to go to shit before I eventually get back to reality. This kind of stuff takes a toll on you. You get worn/ground down when the high stuff comes to an end, not infrequently with a descent into the pits of Hell. And depression is very often the most difficult symptom to treat for bipolar types. Lately, every day has been a challenge for me. If I had my druthers, I'd have them put me into a medically-induced coma for a number of months, to be honest. More than anything in the world, I just want to sleep for a long time. 

7 hours ago, Flash said:

If I had my druthers, I'd have them put me into a medically-induced coma for a number of months, to be honest.

I have had this thought for the longest time ... being put into a medically-induced coma for a few months just to have a break from everything.  My meds don't get rid of all my symptoms, so having a break from that (med-ind coma) would be ideal for me.

Unfortunately it will never happen.

Edited by melissaw72

I have been getting mood symptoms since last spring, with a few short breaks in between, and psychotic symptoms on and off since last summer and continually since last November despite being on my meds, both mood stabilizers and antipsychotics, this whole time. At this point, though, my symptoms are mild enough that I just put up with them, in fear that changing things up will only make things worse.

I've had full on mood and psychotic episodes while taking medication. Meds tend to work for a little while for me and then just stop. I've had lots of med changes in the past few years.

18 hours ago, Flash said:

Abilify pretty much completely obliterated my psychotic, manic, and mixed episodes. Unfortunately it made my hair fall out. Zyprexa works flawlessly on them, but I only take it when I need it, because It has a rather unpleasant side effect profile. But when there's a bobcat trying to kill you, it's hard to get to the Zyprexa bottle. So I suffer the bad stuff here and there so I don't have to suffer the other bad stuff.

I'm fortunate that I can take it PRN, but it's not unusual for everything to go to shit before I eventually get back to reality. This kind of stuff takes a toll on you. You get worn/ground down when the high stuff comes to an end, not infrequently with a descent into the pits of Hell. And depression is very often the most difficult symptom to treat for bipolar types. Lately, every day has been a challenge for me. If I had my druthers, I'd have them put me into a medically-induced coma for a number of months, to be honest. More than anything in the world, I just want to sleep for a long time. 

You are so right flash. This stuff takes such a toll on a person. I'm so tired of everything, just everything. Exhausted. I'd take a medically induced coma too if offered one. It's pretty depressing that that sounds like a nice option.

There aren't any easy fixes or solutions to serious and persistent MI. Why can't there be a cure or at least meds that work better without side effects?

I'm so sick of being sick. And I'm sick of all the freaking meds and appointments and therapies and everything. I'm so sick of living. I've lost almost everything. I want a normal and functioning brain.