CrazyBoards.org

I'm in the process of getting disability and I know it can take years in most cases. My problem is that in my state, there is no cash help for people in my situation. My mom right now has her own means of making money, and those are not means i want to go to.

In the Armpit of America, I'm thinking that maybe getting fired time and time again is better than walking the streets to get by until I get my SSD/SSI.

What should I do?I am desperate for ideas. Marry a rich guy?! lol.\\ ;)

Might work Loon. maybe you can place a personal ad for just such a man.

No money, yes. Very difficult situation. I was fortunate that during the years I was able to work I built up a nice chunk of moeny in my IRA. Unfortunately, I had to liquidate my IRA and live off the money until my disability payments began. I also had to borrow some money from my parents, who fiannly did come through for me, but it was agonizing having to ask them for it and they did not give in right away.

You say there are no options available for people in your state awaiting SSI/SSDI, same where I live. I never had to, actually I could not bring myself to do it, but pdoc kept suggesting I apply for welfare and food stamps. Don't know if you have that option.

What do you have to cover? Bills, rent, utilities, etc.? Sometimes ther are special programs for some things.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Erika

This is a bitch, and I think it is a tool "they" aka *the man* uses to evaluate your claim.

In my case I was unable to work, period. I had no income, period. I was homeless, on the couch circuit, on food stamps and ended up in the nuthouse with an MDD episode. My SSDI is permanent and based primarily on other medical conditions than psych.

However, the whole issue of getting SSI/SSDI is WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN WORK. So if you work, unless it's under the table cash, you are are basically working (no pun) at cross purposes to getting disability benefits.

It was a ROUGH year for me while the determinations, examinations and all that bullshit was taking place. The reason I was approved expeditiously (by their timeframes) is because I am SO disabled. Had I worked AT ALL, it would have fucked up the whole process--even though in my case I just can't work. My body won't comply.

Destitution and indigence is a part of all this, unfortunately, living in the land of opportunity. Unless you do have a cushion like and IRA. Like Erika, I had some funds I could borrow from, and few other good luck windfalls came my way, but they merely sustained my couch circuit lifestyle, nothing I could truly live on.

It sucks. But that's the way it is. If you go to work, you might as well forget about your application for disability.

IMO. S9

One thing I don't understand about the SSA.  Being disabled means unable to engage in any "substantial gainful activity"-----full-time work. But if you are working part-time, they will assume that you are capable of working full-time and deny your claim.

Is this a valid assumption? No.  Is this fair?  No. What if you work part-time for two weeks and then get fired because of your mental condition? These are gray areas, but the SSA will assume that you are able to work because you are working and will deny your claim.

But who said that the SSA was fair?

I have a friend who is a recruiter. He said that even though my resume looks like the latest death toll from Iraq due to how bad my job hopping (not my fault) looks, that I must stick it out and find a job, no matter what. I have nothing to fall back on. I can live with my mom who has an interesting "under the table" occupation and nothing to fall back on either. I need to support us both, sad to say, my BP1 makes it so hard.

I'm an Australian citizen and thinking of moving there.

But who said that the SSA was fair?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get me started. When my husband was dx'ed with terminal cancer, he was approved right away for SSI, but had to give almost all of his monthly payment back as a "co-payment" to a little program for people who make too SSI to qualify for Medicaid, and his medical expenses couldn't be covered by Medicare because they have a 24 month waiting period. He almost made it...21 months after his approval for SSDI, he died. So SSA never had to pay any of his medical bills, a state-funded program did. But we had to give all the money SSDI gave to us to the state so they would pay for his treatments and drugs.  ;)

Fair? Is that the opposite of evil?

Grrrr. I still get furious thinking about it....(obviously)....

S9

I HATE the gov't, I hate these people who take their damn time giving us their determination and hearing date.

I broke down and went to public aid, was humiliated but hey..you gotta do what you gotta do. The lady was very nice who gave me the app. and i applied for food stamps and cash, if possible. I don't know if i will get any of it. I have a telephone interview soon, I hope. But no money coming in..I rely on the kindness of my Mom and my best friend, who puts a twenty in my coat pocket once in awhile. I am looking around , trying to figure out what I can sell..I have some china and old dishes left to me, but wonder where to even take them.. I'm not organized enough for Ebay.

I haven't told my boss, I am not coming back to work yet..and if i get fired, I can't even get unemployment due to the fact that you have to be able to look for work!

If you can look for work, you can't get SSDI. What a fucked up system.

I have a pension somewhere..but the company sold out to another one so..it may take awhile . I had to write to the surgeon general, about my pension. I may write to my congressman, who has been helpful in the past.

I thought I was poor, before.

My best friend did get approved, with Asperget's and Chrone's, but it took 2 years and a hearing with ALJ. I can't wait taht long. There is no savings in my bank and the only recourse I have is to live with mom, who also is applyhing for SSDI due to her Lupus and MS. She claims to do "odd jobs". Once she was lying and told them she sold drugs, and they almost lost their lunches right there!!! lol

My dad was selling drugs to pay to feed his children and he ended up facing 10 years, and killed himself the day of his hearing. I found him. I am so afraid this will happen to me. I really cannot work.

But maybe I can. There is always some hope.As I've mentioned, I'm a dual citizen. Australia has actual benefits for the disabled. I would really hate to leave my home, but I'd rather do that than the alternatives.

• 4 weeks later...

And it makes me wonder----how are these people supposed to afford medical care while they wait for their hearings and wait for Medicare/Medicaid? How are they supposed to afford a psychiatrist and get the continued documentation that they need to prove that their disability still exists?  How are they supposed to get they medications?

I believe that I recall reading somewhere on the SSA website that the SSA assumes that claimants have access to other resources (savings, family members) while they appeal their claims. This is a faulty assumption.  Some do not have medical insurance.  Only a lucky few have coverage through a spouse.

The truth is that the SSA does not care.  And Congress does not care, either.  If you die, or become homeless, or rack up huge medical expenses, no one cares.  And if you lose everything you have and taxpayers have to pay for it, no one cares either!  But the taxpayers should care, right?

Does our President care?  I seriously doubt it!

Archived