CrazyBoards.org

Handling Abilify Insomnia

I've been on Abilify 5mg for a week, and it's great. The only issue is it's affecting my sleep. I fall asleep okay, usually, but wake up in the middle of the night/very early morning and can't fall back to sleep. For a few nights I only got 4 hours.

Last night I took 15mg of Valium before bed and another 15mg when I woke up. I got a good proper rest, but am dopey today. I'm thinking of asking my doc for a sleeping pill. I can't take Z drugs. It will be Temazepam (restoril/normison), mogadon (nitrazepam), oxazepam (serax/serepax), halcion or rohypnol.

Halcion didn't work last time I took it and Rohypnol isn't a likely choice. Serepax works well for me in past but the official use is anxiety. Never tried mogadon.

Neither melatonin nor Valerian nor any other supplement/herb work for me.

sedating antihistamines like Benadryl, phenergan and unisom work but give me a killer hangover and stop working after a couple of nights.

Nembutal works the best but the grogginess the next day is out of this world.

Any options I'm missing? Should I consider a sedating AP or TCA?

How did you handle the Abilify sleeplessness?

Edited by mcjimjam

It took more than a week for the insomnia to subside. Even heroic doses of Z drugs and benzos did not work. After a week of 2 the insomnia stopped by itself. I think 1 week is too soon to assume Abilify will give you permanent insomnia.

From the experience others here have described i am expecting it to pass. Even if it doesn't I'll still take this med.

i took to Valium last night awoke at 12. Took some more and slept till 5:30. I feel rested now but hopefully wont be too groggy.

Id still like to try a sleep benzo as they don't stay in the system so long or accumulate the way Valium does. Docs seem to like temazepam (restoril) here so I'll try that.

Hopefully this does pass. I kind of like it because normally i suffer extreme hypersomnia. 20 hours a day when really depressed. Sometimes 30+ hour stretches. It's so nice to be awake during the day and able to do things!

19 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

Serepax works well for me in past but the official use is anxiety.

Looking at your sig, one of your Dx is anxiety, so technically you could be prescribed it, right?  What does your pdoc say about meds for the insomnia?

I never had a problem with abilify and my sleep.

19 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

Should I consider a sedating AP or TCA?

I'd ask your pdoc about this.  It might work for you.  Zyprexa wiped me out, seroquel didn't work for me for slee.

Have you ever tried depakote?  That med completely wiped me out so much that I had to go off of it.  I felt drugged.  Don't remember the dose though.  I just remember how sedated it made me feel.  YMMV though.

ETA:  Clozaril also made me very tired.

Edited by melissaw72

It actually never went away for me. Sedatives either didn't work, or only worked for a short (2-3h) period of time. Stacking the sedatives would eventually cause the bulk of them to get metabolized, and I would be hung-over the next day. Beyond 2mg of Abilify, I couldn't actually sleep for more than 45min at a time, no matter what meds I took. This was the primary reason I had to stop Abilify.

Rexulti has no such issue, and in fact, is more likely to be sedating than activating (for me.)

On 5/7/2017 at 8:11 AM, mcjimjam said:

I've been on Abilify 5mg for a week, and it's great. The only issue is it's affecting my sleep. I fall asleep okay, usually, but wake up in the middle of the night/very early morning and can't fall back to sleep. For a few nights I only got 4 hours.

Last night I took 15mg of Valium before bed and another 15mg when I woke up. I got a good proper rest, but am dopey today. I'm thinking of asking my doc for a sleeping pill. I can't take Z drugs. It will be Temazepam (restoril/normison), mogadon (nitrazepam), oxazepam (serax/serepax), halcion or rohypnol.

Halcion didn't work last time I took it and Rohypnol isn't a likely choice. Serepax works well for me in past but the official use is anxiety. Never tried mogadon.

Neither melatonin nor Valerian nor any other supplement/herb work for me.

sedating antihistamines like Benadryl, phenergan and unisom work but give me a killer hangover and stop working after a couple of nights.

Nembutal works the best but the grogginess the next day is out of this world.

Any options I'm missing? Should I consider a sedating AP or TCA?

How did you handle the Abilify sleeplessness?

Are you titrating up on Abilify? Would you be willing to split the dose? I'm on 5mg and have been on 10mg in the past, it caused no problems with sleep at all that i recall. Usually it takes me a good week for side effects to calm down, if i'm increasing the dose.

There is am amazing sleep drug called Rozerem. I am currently on Medicare and they won't cover it. Worth looking into.

as far as staying awake in the am, if it doesn't go away look into adding Provigil. It is used for sleep apnea and sleep/wake disorders. I take it for excessive daytime sleepiness and it works pretty well. Medicare won't cover it either but I got it at Costco for $20/month.

1 hour ago, Savannah said:

I take it for excessive daytime sleepiness and it works pretty well.

I second this ... works well for me too.

1 hour ago, Savannah said:

There is am amazing sleep drug called Rozerem. I am currently on Medicare and they won't cover it. Worth looking into.

Can you get a prior auth for it?

6 hours ago, Savannah said:

as far as staying awake in the am, if it doesn't go away look into adding Provigil. It is used for sleep apnea and sleep/wake disorders. I take it for excessive daytime sleepiness and it works pretty well. Medicare won't cover it either but I got it at Costco for $20/month.

6 hours ago, Savannah said:

Unfortunately Rozerem is unavailable here is Australia. 

Provigil but the NHS will only cover it if you have narcolepsy and can't take dexamphetamine for some reason. 

I could get it privately (off the NHS) but it is very expensive and I think private insurance would only pay a tiny bit of it.

A pdoc did once mention it, as I have a circadian rhythm disorder, but I'm not sure there's a way to get it affordably.

13 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Are you titrating up on Abilify? Would you be willing to split the dose? I'm on 5mg and have been on 10mg in the past, it caused no problems with sleep at all that i recall. Usually it takes me a good week for side effects to calm down, if i'm increasing the dose.

I'm not really titrating, just going to stay on 5mg for a few weeks and see if it is enough, maybe try a higher dose later. I can't take a smaller dose than 5mg or split it because I am using 10mg tabs and they are very small. I can accurately halve them, but not cut them smaller than that. In Australia, the government only covers the 10mg, 15mg, 20mg and 30mg tabs. There are 5mg tabs available but they are not covered and are very expensive. I have a feeling my sleep will get better. It was okay last night. I took only 5mg Valium at bedtime and slept till 6AM which is great.