CrazyBoards.org

How much time takes valporate to work when you already are in a manic or mixed episode?

Sodium valproate has a half-life of 9-16 hours, so it will take a few hours to begin to work. Weight gain isn't inevitable, but it can be dose-dependent (it was for me.)

44 minutes ago, dtac said:

Sodium valproate has a half-life of 9-16 hours, so it will take a few hours to begin to work. Weight gain isn't inevitable, but it can be dose-dependent (it was for me.)

But when it works it put you out of the episode inmediatly? Because if you are havily psychotic sometimes it takes day to become mildy psychotic when an antipsychotic is added.

I don't really know, but I would guess that it's not nearly as fast-acting as some APs. It doesn't necessarily make you gain weight, but like with so many other psych meds, that's always a possibility.

3 hours ago, OliverB said:

But when it works it put you out of the episode inmediatly? Because if you are havily psychotic sometimes it takes day to become mildy psychotic when an antipsychotic is added.

I took it to help stabilize my mood, so I'm not really sure how well it works to end psychosis. I would think an AP like Zyprexa would be more effective at quickly knocking out mania.

I started taking valproate last September. The reason I was started on it was that I developed kidney damage after being on lithium for 13.5 years. My starting dose was 400mg but it soon became obvious that that dose wasn't doing anything for me as my mood became even more elevated. So over a few days the dose increased to 1000mg and then over the next couple of weeks to 1600mg which is the dose I currently take. It did take a while for my mood to settle. The agitation decreased when I got to 1000mg and continued to decrease as my medication was increased.

I gained a lot of weight at the beginning but worked hard to lose it and have lost 32 lbs since January. I was also quite sedated at the beginning but got past that too. I still feel a bit more tired than prior to starting valproate in September but I can deal with that. It is a good mood stabiliser for me. It keeps me at an even keel.

l also take an AAP, Seroquel XR which is good mood stabilizer