CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Alien Navel Cord

Klonz not helping as much anymore

I also find clonazepam doesn't work like it used to for me. No advice, just I can relate.

There is a good point to be made about the doctors being more concerned about Benzos and on a non related note opiates for pain.   The opiates of course are some seriously bad stuff that lately have just become a horror show.   I'm trying to remember what the story was exactly but an addict was seeing a bus load of different doctors so he (or was it she?) had a briefcase full of prescriptions so they could veg out on this crap.  Others who had a reason to take opiates (Like after surgery) then when that ran out went to Heroin.   Very sad stuff.

My physical (And probably a lot of others here) includes the pee in the cup and lets see if your really taking your meds in sane doses or are you doctor shopping and taking a gagillion mg of whatever or suddenly "prescribed" yourself heroin or crack or something.   Which btw sounds like the worst thing someone dealing with depression or anxiety could do.   Even drinking would seem to me to defeat the whole program of getting better and being functional.   I made the mistake of having "a" glass of beer for my birthday a few years back which was one of those rediculous big cowboy "Boot" glasses and it did NOT mix well with my meds - just as GDoc warned me.  Sheesh... People apparantly still stick gum under tables because thats how hard it hit me.  Sooooo I'm happy with not being an idiot and going along with what my doctor says.   All that school and decades of experience must help!  H a ha   I mean you can get all the opinions you like here but we are not experts,  We just relate some of our experiences.  And whats the buzz word?  "Your results may vary"  

Benzos are clearly high on the radar for our Doctors but this is (I think) a case where there is suddenly a lot of abusers scamming Doctors and hurting themselves.   Don't panic just be honest about the results and don't drink "Boot fulls" of booze and I think everything will be ok.

But DO keep the doctor informed with whats going on.   Side effects, or effects in general.  They can't hit the target blindfolded.

3 hours ago, HAL9000 said:

My physical (And probably a lot of others here) includes the pee in the cup and lets see if your really taking your meds in sane doses or are you doctor shopping and taking a gagillion mg of whatever or suddenly "prescribed" yourself heroin or crack or something.  

Hmmm.....My pdoc has never done a urine test on me.........My GP has only done it when I had symptoms of UTI, but not on a regular basis.

Don't have anything to hide though, even if they did.......Guess all docs are different.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Crazy,

my pdoc does regular bloodwork to work to check my vitamin levels and my fasting blood level. He is the one that found my vitamin deficiencies. He also does blood sugar and gets weight. 

My doc does regular work too- med levels, thyroid panel,also less frequently  b/CMP, and lipid panels

Also I'd be very cautious going over 4mgs...when my pdoc hits the "ceiling" he says it becomes a never ending cycle of tolerance and then up dose if you don't limit somewhere. Personally I'd think about Valium I did 10mgx4 for a good while 

13 hours ago, Savannah said:

my pdoc does regular bloodwork to work to check my vitamin levels and my fasting blood level. He is the one that found my vitamin deficiencies. He also does blood sugar and gets weight. 

5 hours ago, Iceberg said:

My doc does regular work too- med levels, thyroid panel,also less frequently  b/CMP, and lipid panels

Just to clarify, at every monthly pdoc visit, I get blood pressure, heart rate, and weight  checked.....Those are the only things my pdoc checks for.

However, at every yearly physical with GP,  I get blood pressure,, heart rate, and weight checked, plus I get vitamin levels, blood levels, blood sugar, thyroid, and lipid panels......So I only get certain things checked once a year.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

5 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Also I'd be very cautious going over 4mgs...when my pdoc hits the "ceiling" he says it becomes a never ending cycle of tolerance and then up dose if you don't limit somewhere. 

My pdoc is very conservative about benzos.........Her own personal policy is that she won't  prescribe more than 2mg clonazepam to anyone.......I don't know her opinions about  any other benzos because I haven't asked.

Not saying she's right or wrong about this--it's just her own personal policy....Every doc has his/her own opinion, as we all know.

My pdoc does thyroid tests and other things for lithium but not benzos. I am going to try to get in to see her soon so I can be getting some help with this. I bought  a book on coping with anxiety and am reading it. Need as much help as I can get!!!

If she doesn't want to bring me to 5mg, which I could understand, I'll ask about the benefits of Valium. What is the generic name for valium?

1 minute ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

If she doesn't want to bring me to 5mg, which I could understand, I'll ask about the benefits of Valium. What is the generic name for valium?

diazepam

Did I miss any discussion of you trying Xanax XR...I think that's the name if the extended release one. Supposedly u get half the dose at once and the rest over the course of hours. Some docs who don't prescribe regular Xanax do that instead. 

I have GAD and panic attacks and every other form of anxiety possible. My shrink has me on Xanax 'for life' and doesn't believe I will ever need/be able to get off it, not because of dependency but because of the anxiety being brain-wired....unless they can rewire my brain, I'll be on it forever....like seizures are due to over stimulation with electrical impulses--and they can't be regulated without a device implanted in the brain...it's that way with my anxiety. 

In my heart I think one day I'll b off Xanax and have processed my traumas and stuff so I can just use regular coping skills...but the way it was explained with my brain being this way, now I'm not so sure. 

Not to hijack ur thread, i just think it's dumb of some docs to avoid a med that works well because u have to dose it more frequently. I take my puny .25mg several times a day...total for a day is 2mg, my Rx is for 4mg taken as 1mg 4xa day...so I'm taking a small amount. There def isn't a high or anything...just less terror...def not an addictive feeling for sure.

so maybe the Xanax XR might be a consideration for u? Hope u find something cuz anxiety is a real beast!

I didn't find Valium to be much use until I got into the 30-40mg range. 5-10mg didn't cut it at all for anxiety. Never taken Vistaril, but it's a strong histamine drug, which is likely to cause some sedation. Combined, they're probably a potent combo.

• Like 1

I think her 5mg is just to help wean me slowly off the klonz and ramp me up to the valium, then the dose may increase. At least I think that's what she said, I'll have to check - the written directions are in my other pants ;-)

• Like 1

valium i could take by the handful and not have it do anything to me. They tried it prior to surgery once and i would have been better off just having a Pez.

totes agree with dtac. never tried vistaril but it was on my backup meds list to be used with valium like you're getting. Its milder than Ativan from what my shrink said and with less side effects. combining the vistaril and valium should help with anxiety and sleeplessness. Hope it does the trick for ya!

I haven't gotten the vistaril yet, she hadn't sent to the pharmacy. I think she wants me to ramp up to the valium before introducing me to vistaril. I think she'll up my dose of valium once my body is used to it. Is valium sedating at high doses? How high do yo have to go before it sedates you? I'd rather not feel sedation just relaxation. I wonder what that line is.

9 minutes ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

I haven't gotten the vistaril yet, she hadn't sent to the pharmacy. I think she wants me to ramp up to the valium before introducing me to vistaril. I think she'll up my dose of valium once my body is used to it. Is valium sedating at high doses? How high do yo have to go before it sedates you? I'd rather not feel sedation just relaxation. I wonder what that line is.

I got zero sedation from Valium until 30mg and above. It's also a long-acting benzo, so it's not as immediately noticeable. 

My weaning off-klonz and onto valz is a tricky one, she wrote it down for me but Now I lost it. I'm going to have to MyChart her for the instructions again. But I hope when it's done, I can find some relief. Anxiety is the worst. The physical symptoms are what I hate the worst. Especially running to the bathroom with the big D. lol... tmi