CrazyBoards.org

So, I am 20 years old and live in philly. I just found out that my insurance is now cut off and out of pocket my medications are too expensive. I'm really worried because I was diagnosed with bipolar and borderline personality disorder and I don't want to fall into another manic episode or ruin relationships again. 

This is so stressful if any of you guys know anything about resources please let me know. 

I am no expert, but have a few questions. Why was it cut off?  Is it appealable?  At 20, could/would your parents pay for insurance for you?  Could you qualify for disability?  For some meds, the drug companies offer assistance. Also, your pdoc may get samples that could tide you over. Depending on what you take, there might be options for generics or just a cheaper med.  And shop around--some places charge way more. One med was $129 at a local place, $35 at Costco (don't need to join to use their pharmacy). I'm sure others have way more ideas but those are a quick start. 

Check out goodrx.com and needymeds.org to find the cheapest places to get your meds, any available coupons and if there are patient assistance programs available. By in large when I was uninsured the best deals for meds were from Costco and Sam's Club. Walgreens was often the most expensive option. 

Some of the older meds are a lot cheaper due to having generics. Lithium is cheap and a first line treatment. Have you tried it? The generic SSRIs are cheap, such as Prozac and Zoloft. AAPs are all quite costly AFAIK so maybe typicals would be a more economical if you need an AP.

Here's a list of community health centers in Philly. They will see you for free or cheap if you have no insurance, and can help you connect to cheap generic drug providers. Seroquel (qutieapine) and Lamictal (lamotrigine) should NEVER cost $300 at this point because they are both widely available as generics.

Walmart has $4 generics. Target has $4 and $10 generics. Check out needy meds for sure.

Community health centers can be really really helpful if you get stuck. And if you haven't talked with your provider about what you're running into, please call your provider's practice and let them know. They can help you get connected to a pharmacy that can better meet your needs.

Yikes...  On non generics many companies will ship free meds (To your doctors office) for you if you get your Doc to sign off.  My Significant other got 3 months worth at a time.   GoodRX is something worth (I think??) looking at.  They can take your zip code and give you prices in your area when you don't have insurance and they have a card (free) they mail out that can discount that price.  

I use rxoutreach.org to get 90-day supplies of generic abilify (since the generic price hasn't gone down far enough at local pharmacies and my Part D drug plan is not very helpful). My pdoc is the one who suggested this pharmacy. It's based in the USA. I set up an account and then my pdoc faxed them my prescription. I've gotten 2 shipments so far with no issues. The only thing unusual is that the prescription bottles say on the lid "Honoring God by serving others".

They carry seroquel xr (generic), generic seroquel, and generic lamictal. (I'm not sure if the meds in your signature are current.) I would double check first if goodrx has cheaper prices at a local pharmacy because generic seroquel and lamictal are already pretty cheap in my area so might not be worth bothering with rxoutreach depending on dosage. However, generic seroquel xr is significantly cheaper from rxoutreach.

Edited by aquarian

I agree about Costco. My insurance company wanted $3,000/mo for Provigil. Costco charges $20!!!

my pdoc suggested checking out the Canadian pharmacies. I called abou Provigil but they didn't carry it because it is a stimulant.

i don't think you have to have a Costco card, but they give a small discount if you do.

rxassist.org might be another good site to try.....If you visit the site, just click on the "learn more" circle under "Patients" on the right side of the screen.

I also agree about Costco.......I've filled there before and you don't need a membership card to use their pharmacy........Many meds are much less expensive there.....Just call them and they can tell you their price over the phone.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 5/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, Geek said:

Check out goodrx.com and needymeds.org to find the cheapest places to get your meds, any available coupons and if there are patient assistance programs available. By in large when I was uninsured the best deals for meds were from Costco and Sam's Club. Walgreens was often the most expensive option. 

GoodRx is a great recommendation. I used your listed prescription and guessed at the dosage strength to give  you an idea of some prices. GoodRx is a free app that lets you pull up a coupon to show to the pharmacist when you go pick up your prescription. It might require going to different places for different meds to get the best deals.

For Phildelphia:

90ct 50 mg tablets (1 tab am and 2 tabs pm) Seroquel (quetiapine) generic with GoodRx coupon is:

$16.67 at Acme Markets Pharmacy

$24.50 at Target (CVS)

$39.18 at CVS Pharmacy

$101.64 at Walmart

$198.12 at Walgreens

30ct 25 mg tablet (1 tab) Lamictal (lamotrigine) generic is:

$11.07 at Acme Markets Pharmacy

$12.05 at Target (CVS)

$18.22 at CVS Pharmacy

$18.97 at Walgreens

60ct 25 mg tablet (1-2 tabs) Lamictal (lamotrigine) generic is:

$11.49 at Acme Markets Pharmacy

$15.74 at Target (CVS)

$24.44 at CVS Pharmacy

Looks like you could potentially get your scripts filled for under $50.