CrazyBoards.org

How are these treated?

I am pretty sure I have a dissociative identity disorder of some kind as well as bipolar or schizoaffective.  My mind is often in many places at once and I'm smiling to myself in addition to my bipolar and schizophrenic symptoms.  Are dissociative disorders just treated with psychotherapy?  If so does it significantly help?  I have a lot of trouble forming interpersonal relationships with women which angers me.

Guest ~Aurelie~

hi ZacharyOdette~

dissociative disorders are on a continuum of severity. dissociation can also occur as a symptom of other mental disorders such as bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, depression and schizophrenia, and not necessarily be a dissociative disorder in itself. here is a link that may help.

http://www.sidran.org/didbr.html

aurelie

Yes, that information above will be helpful. Did you know that many pdocs consider PTSD on the Spectrum of DID? I feel that way about my flashbacks and dissociation when I relive terrible events!

You can be tested for it if you believe you suffer from it. There are different types and levels.

Usually treatment involves talk counseling to bring together the different parts of the self. Either that or get the selves to agree to live together in harmony.

Best of wishes

loon

Guest ~Aurelie~

Yes, that information above will be helpful. Did you know that many pdocs consider PTSD on the Spectrum of DID? I feel that way about my flashbacks and dissociation when I relive terrible events!

You can be tested for it if you believe you suffer from it. There are different types and levels.

Usually treatment involves talk counseling to bring together the different parts of the self. Either that or get the selves to agree to live together in harmony.

Best of wishes

loon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi loon. i just found an abstract from the Journal of Traumatic Stress that you might find interesting. To access the full article you have to be a member, which i'm not, but the abstract says a lot.

it's titled: Dissociation- An insufficiently recognized major feature of complex PTSD. you can find the abstract by googling Journal of Traumatic Stress and then scrolling down to the monthly issues. click on October 2005 and scroll for the above title, click on that and voila, the abstract.

isn't it interesting that there is so much unawareness about dissociation in PTSD among psychiatric clinicians? you and i and countless others could have told them LONG ago that PTSD is on the dissociative continuum. they need to get their heads out from books and instead start listening to their patients. that's my opinion for what it's worth. it's just so frustrating.

best~

aurelie

Archived