CrazyBoards.org

I've noticed that when I'm having auditory hallucinations I tend to jolt my head to the left or make a small "ah!" noise in an attempt to make the sound go away. When I'm alone I also will say "shut up! shut up!" It works for a moment or two, but the hallucinations always come back.

Anyone else respond to your hallucinations? Or even talk to them? 

8 hours ago, aura said:

Yes, I have.

I have 2 kinds of hallucinations ... auditory and the internal ones, that think to me. 

Before I was on the right med cocktail, I talked/replied to both kinds all the time.  They were with me 24/7.  For a few years they got me into trouble because I'd listen to them and they'd turn out to be tricking me.  I was never mad at them for that though. 

After the right meds, I stopped talking to the auditory ones after I stopped hearing most of them, but even on meds now, I still respond to the internal voices ... these voices think to me/I think back to them.  It has become so ingrained that my responses back to them are automatic, like if we were in a real conversation.

• Like 1

with my auditory hallucinations I do tend to shout out at them more than my visual hallucinations, but when they are particularly terrifying I just shout and scream as loud as I can.. Then cant normally remember what made me so scared in the first place :/ 

my experience is similar to melissa's. I primarily experience internal auditory hallucinations which I sometimes find myself responding to in my head.. I used to hold lengthy conversations with them. when I was v symptomatic the voices would converse with one another. nowadays when I hear a voice I treat it as if it were any other thought. I recognize that I have experienced it then let it recede into the 'blankness' of my headspace and continue on with whatever I was doing. 

On 5/16/2017 at 1:41 PM, aura said:

I've noticed that when I'm having auditory hallucinations I tend to jolt my head to the left or make a small "ah!" noise in an attempt to make the sound go away. When I'm alone I also will say "shut up! shut up!" It works for a moment or two, but the hallucinations always come back.

I talk to the voices I hear. I talk to them in stores when I hear them speak to me while I shop. I get odd looks. It happens less with meds.

I used to be much worse. I've been known to wander around town (because they commanded me to)  while talking to them. Ultimately being taken to the ER, because who walks around so long scratching themselves and talking to voices only they hear? I don't even think I bothered with shoes.

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 10:31 PM, strange eyes said:

my experience is similar to melissa's. I primarily experience internal auditory hallucinations which I sometimes find myself responding to in my head.. I used to hold lengthy conversations with them. when I was v symptomatic the voices would converse with one another. nowadays when I hear a voice I treat it as if it were any other thought. I recognize that I have experienced it then let it recede into the 'blankness' of my headspace and continue on with whatever I was doing. 

I didn't realize you could have a hallucination perceived inside your head!!... I get very loud what-- like, someone is saying something into brain space. is internal hallucination separate from an intrusive thought>>if you know? 

5 hours ago, grape.guice said:

I didn't realize you could have a hallucination perceived inside your head!!... I get very loud what-- like, someone is saying something into brain space. is internal hallucination separate from an intrusive thought>>if you know? 

They come in both flavors. I mostly get the type you describe, however. There is also another type that piggybacks on white noise, which I've been having a lot the past few days. My pdoc calls them illusions. I couldn't really say where an internal hallucination ends and and an intrusive thought starts. I typically only have inside-the-head hallucinations when I'm having command hallucinations, and they invariably have an outside-of-the-head component. But the overwhelming majority of my hallucinations are very "potent," regardless of the type. They're completely in your face, so to speak. There is no mistaking it, and they seem very, very real. If there is a giveaway, it's that they tend to be more vibrant than what you would experience in real life. Not necessarily amazingly so, but scents are more pungent, noises are louder, visuals are brighter and more colorful, etc. And real-life-type hallucinations tend to be unpleasant, scary, or mesmerising. 

Edited by Flash

On 6/13/2017 at 6:33 AM, grape.guice said:

for me, an intrusive thought is something my 'own' inner voice or mental imagery comes up with.  when i have internal auditory hallucinations, the voice is definitely not my own, regular, inner monologue tone of voice.  there is a definite distinction between the two.  a voice inside the head feels like someone else has come into your headspace and is speaking to you.

11 hours ago, strange eyes said:

a voice inside the head feels like someone else has come into your headspace and is speaking to you.

Yes, this exactly! Sometimes I end up with the delusion that people are hacking into my mind because of this. 

13 minutes ago, aura said:

Yes, this exactly! Sometimes I end up with the delusion that people are hacking into my mind because of this. 

It's different than your internal voice inside your head, I think, because you don't have the control to direct it. If it tells you that you are a worthless piece of shit, for instance, it can be rather difficult to shut it up. You may recognize that it is just bullshit in your head, but when things get reiterated over and over and over again, it can be difficult to avoid the trap. On a certain level, you start to believe it, even if your rational self tells you otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...