CrazyBoards.org

I just started Vraylar and have been taking it for 1.5 weeks. It had dramatically helped my symptoms. I am out of my depression? No more sucidal thoughts, etc. However, I am extremely drowsy! I take it at night and even the next day all I want to do is sleep. I am a very busy person and it is taking a toll on me. Is this a short term side effect from getting used to it or something that will not go away? Not sure I want to keep taking it if this is not going to go away. Doctor is out of town right now.

What dose are you taking? Sometimes these types of side effects go away at higher doses (counter-intuitive, I know). Also, you may find if you can give it a little longer that as your body continues to acclimate to it the fatigue will go away. Try to give it a longer shot, if you can. 

I take 3mg/day of Vraylar and have not had noticeable fatigue. I take it in the morning, but you'll notice from my sig that I take a stimulant and I augment that with a buttload of caffeine on work days. When I started Vraylar I was simultaneously reducing a med that does give me significant fatigue (imipramine), so I can't tell you if I had that side effect and it just went away. If it did, it happened fairly quickly for me (within 1-2 weeks).

• 10 months later...

I was on Vraylar for about 3 weeks.  I just took my last dose of tapering off. I became extremely restless and a little agitated, especially at night and had trouble sleeping. I was eating excessively and gained weight.  I felt a bit manic and started shopping compulsively. I have a bipolar disorder so I don't know if it was triggered by the meds or not. My depression was better but not worth the side effects. Has anyone else noticed any compulsive behaviors?  I heard rexulti and abilify were linked to compulsive behaviors. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 11:59 PM, Britta 849 said:

I was on Vraylar for about 3 weeks.  I just took my last dose of tapering off. I became extremely restless and a little agitated, especially at night and had trouble sleeping. I was eating excessively and gained weight.  I felt a bit manic and started shopping compulsively. I have a bipolar disorder so I don't know if it was triggered by the meds or not. My depression was better but not worth the side effects. Has anyone else noticed any compulsive behaviors?  I heard rexulti and abilify were linked to compulsive behaviors. 

Abilify has definitely been associated with impulsivity problems and especially compulsive gambling or shopping. It doesn't happen to everyone, but seeing as Abilify does have an intrinsic activity at the dopamine receptors of about 60%, it's definitely going to alter the reward activity in your brain, essentially a chemical positive reinforcement.

However, in a head-to-head analysis of Rexulti vs Abilify, Rexulti actually improved impulsive behaviors. It has an intrinsic activity at dopamine receptors of ~40-45%. Vraylar has a similar impact. Therefore, less activation and more blockade less cause for reward-related side effects.

Personally, I don't think I was on Abilify long enough to really tell if that was happening to me, but I did have a bit of a shopping spree not too long before my pdoc switched me to something else. I also just became to restless and agitated/"spun up" on Abilify. Don't feel that way at all on Rexulti. It's calm yet stimulating at the same time and just generally feels  a bit more balanced.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      I banged my head (outer eyebrow near temple) a week ago, on a cabinet door. I'm wondering if anyone here has got a concussion from this sort of thing? How do you know for sure?
      I iced it for an hour immediately, so very minimal bruising, but had a large lump (which is going down). Its very tender. My temple and eyebrow still feel "achey" (it's not really a headache). I also feel extra lethargic with brain fog, abrupt worsening of mood. I go to doc tomorrow, but I read that MRI scans cannot show mild concussions (only bone fractures or brain bleeding) and I also wonder if it's just my depression getting worse (versus a head injury from a bump)...?
      I HATE going to the Dr for this sort of thing... because I don't want to be labeled as "malingering" or a hypochondriac mental case. Doctors always see a diagnosis of depression on my file (and meds I'm on) and of course (being a woman also), it makes them more apt to always write things off as psychological or stress-related. 😞
    • By troop111
      Hi,
      Have any of you had or have read of gabapentin being of use as an adjunctive therapy for people with treatment resistant depression/anxiety/bipolar?
      I have been doing research and some sources say it helps, others say there is no strong clinical proof. I think a lot of the conflicting reports I have seen has to do with it simply not being studied en mass.
      Any advice/experiences regarding this? If so, what was your dosing?
      Thank you!
      troop
    • By lauraishere
    • By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

• By Isaiah2017
      I'm having a hell of a hard time and experiencing rather weird symptoms. Whether they've anything to do with Mirtazapine (Remeron) is something that I strongly feel but can't quite convince any doctor of.   I was put on 15 mg of it in spring 2015 for depression and a severe insomnia - I hadn't slept an hour like since 25 nights back then! The benefits showed immediately within a day and surprised myself and my family. I would sleep well and be in a very happy and cheerful mood.   Then however, from summer 2016 I developed some strange food intolerances; caffeine, sugar, fruits containing high amounts of fructose, yoghurt, butter and so on. Eating anything of that would cause me jitteriness and insomnia. I steered clear of those foods.   From autumn last year though, a lot of those food intolerances have relented and it changed into intolerance towards medicines and supplements that I was on; the thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin E and could never again tolerate any new medicine or supplement. Symptoms resulting from these are, again, jitters, insomnia and a strange kind of feeling of being struck on the head, like I can't hear anything and the thinking becomes very unclear and blurred. Coupled with this is a weird sensation that if a medicine has any potential side-effect (even physical, such as urine retention), I get it at all costs. So I'm steering clear of the culprits here too.   However, avoiding the culprits doesn't end my misery, it just helps in avoiding a whole new set of symptoms, because since autumn 2016 I'm under constant brainfog anyway, have heart palpitations immediately after every meal (but worst after breakfast), have concentration and focus issues, lead a life without any hobbies, wishes or desires. Nothing excites me, nothing interests me and nothing catches my attention. Leave tasks pending for months (the most unlike me habbit), have badly lost my sense of humour. My sense of humour was something that I literally used to pride on, and friends from around the world would call me to fresh up if they were having a dull day. My mind feels numb, although it isn´t as if it´s the sedating effect of the Mirtazapine because 90% percent of the nights I don´t sleep well, and on a lot of nights I feel as if I´m asleep with an awake mind!   The GP who put me on it considered it to be just the effects of anxiety and depression and recommended the doubling of the dose to 30 mg. When I contested that, given that I´ve my doubts of a lot of these issues being brought upon by Mirtazapine itself, she referred me to a psychiatrist. He too strongly denies of Mirtazapine having any hand to play on it and instead thinks it´ll be best to combine it with another antidepressant for day-time.   He put me on Paroxetine, boom, a flood of side-effects! Then changed to Fluoxetine (Prozac) - third day on it and having weird feelings. The heart poundings are one and is in fact making me very depressed and hopeless!