Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Psychosis Awareness


Recommended Posts

Does anyone else who experiences psychotic features ever have them and feel like you can recognize what's going on but can't necessarily stop it? I'm feeling like I'm getting a little funky, but then I question  whether or not I'm just imagining it or overreacting because I realize that something isn't quite right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have insight into my psychosis, and I full well know I when I am psychotic, but still the delusions feel real and I cannot help but act on them even though I know they are not real.

Edited by Closure
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sometimes have insight into my psychosis, usually at the beginning. Personally, as long as I can retain insight, I might have a hard time but I'm safe. When I get to the point where I don't realize my thoughts could be wrong, then I'm in a very dangerous position.

Whether this is a precursor to something else, or whether you're potentially having psychosis with insight, it's time to reach out to your doctors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I constantly wonder if I'm overreacting. But I don't think it's ever happened that I've actually overreacted. My psychotic symptoms are a little tricky because I don't need to be super manic before they kick it, they can happen at moderate levels of mania - and so much of what I experience aren't voices but sounds that I just can't independently confirm. Most of the time, I know something likely isn't real, but that doesn't stop it from occurring anyway. I agree with the above - always better to check things out early. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2017 at 6:41 PM, melissaw72 said:

I agree with @aura about seeing your pdoc.  Better to catch something before it could potentially get worse.

I have a sense of complacency with my psychosis. I am so used to having insight that I do not see myself as losing it - even though at times in the past I didn't really have insight. To me right now my psychosis is unpleasant not dangerous. Of course, this might burn me some day, with me losing insight, and probably ending up in involuntary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Closure said:

I am so used to having insight that I do not see myself as losing it

I feel this way too about myself.  Even if I became delusional I'll know they are delusions, know they aren't real, and they are more of a nuisance than anything.  I might want to act on them, but I know I won't.  I think my insight would still be there.  (knock on wood).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, NerdyUnicorn said:

I constantly wonder if I'm overreacting. But I don't think it's ever happened that I've actually overreacted. My psychotic symptoms are a little tricky because I don't need to be super manic before they kick it, they can happen at moderate levels of mania - and so much of what I experience aren't voices but sounds that I just can't independently confirm. Most of the time, I know something likely isn't real, but that doesn't stop it from occurring anyway. I agree with the above - always better to check things out early. 

I find myself doubting and thinking I'm overreacting when I start to see the subtle signs. My psychosis is pretty insidious -- it tends to build slowly, and then just explode. This was the first episode where I really knew what was going on, so it kept me safe. Luckily, the full-on psychosis only lasted for two days, and I was able to keep my judgement intact enough to not get into any trouble. 

Thank you all for the responses. It was a very weird and scary two days!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something that might help, when you're feeling yourself, is to make a list of the things that you know are precursors to an episode, and to keep it for future reference. If you can look back and see where you started having trouble in the past, then when you're in trouble again it might be easier to accept it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2017 at 0:29 AM, Lorelion said:

Does anyone else who experiences psychotic features ever have them and feel like you can recognize what's going on but can't necessarily stop it? I'm feeling like I'm getting a little funky, but then I question  whether or not I'm just imagining it or overreacting because I realize that something isn't quite right. 

To avoid experiencing the psychotic features to the extent of not being able to stop them in the first place, IME I know I am more stressed out than usual and that I have had a lack of sleep.  And that will cause even more problems, lose some insight.  When I get a lot of sleep after being sleep-deprived, I find that my insight gets better.  I don't act on the delusions, but they seem to let up and they aren't as bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...