CrazyBoards.org

Will your Pdoc prescribe migraine med?

I just wondered who prescribes your migraine med? Does your shrink ever do it?

Cause my Ex.Pdoc did and in a way, acted as a family doc of sorts. He also prescribed anti-nausea med.

I don't know if I should ask her but my it's about  the time when the migraine is on it's way back. I have only seen her 4 times and don't want her to think I want pain meds..narcs.

My old doc did not like triptans,.and I have already tried Topomax and Depakote..(ugh)  Excedrin Migraine may as well be baby aspirin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BC,

in my humble opinion, i really do not think that it would hurt to bring up the fact that you have migraines and ask about treatment options.  FWIW, i get topamax from my pdoc....

good luck

~Ophelia

Just to add,

My pdoc keeps track of all of my migraines (he asks me how many migraines I have had since our last visit, etc.), and offers me medication if I feel like the other meds I have aren't working.  He's even called my neurologist because I've been in so much pain and couldn't really deal with it.  So I don't think it would hurt to ask.

Jade

Personally, I use my GP for all of my medications. I don't know that it matters, it probably has to do with their perspective on migraines more than your treatment options.

Topomax has helped me a great deal, but Imitrex works as an abortive for me as well. I tend to think of migraines as a neurological disorder with very little psychological aspects, but it does seem to be comorbid with depression and anxiety. So, who knows?

I'm not sure how bad your migraines are, but any migraine at all is horrible.  The state of them sometimes determines what doctors will give you, though.  Pain medicines (both NSAIDs and Opiates) don't work for me, but it was my GP who prescribed me the strongest stuff, besides what I got in the hospital.  She gave me Percocet.  My neuro gave me pain meds as well.  I was under the impression it was illegal for a psychologist to prescribe medicine without a degree in psychiatry.  But a few of you claim yours will.  Are the laws different in your state?  I'm really curious.

To answer your question, BlackCat, if you talked to him/her about it, they might tell you who you need to go to, or apparently, prescribe them directly.  You could try your GP as well.

Archived