CrazyBoards.org

Hi all,

theres an older thread on Rexulti, but seeing as I've just been prescribed it, I was wondering if I could get an update,

for those who were taking it, are you still on it?

anyone new joined the group of takers?

i guess somewhat more significantly, how does it help with your psychosis, mania, depression, and anxiety?

i don't understand talk of receptors or agonists or things like that, though I guess it could still be helpful in case someone does.  I get that in general it is a patent extender for ability with less side effects.

• Like 1

My Dr just gave me this to try, I haven't started it yet, I'm also curious of others experiences on it. I'm prone to akathisia so I'm really scared to try it. I've also heard it's somewhat like abilify which kept me awake all night. 

I took it for depression. Less akathesia than Abilify, I didn't need Cogentin with it. I took it at 2mg/day for about a year, it had minor stabilizing effects. No withdrawal symptoms when I missed a dose or when I stopped taking it to try Vraylar.

• Like 1

I always took Rexulti in the morning. I don't sleep well without medication and it didn't seem to have any significant impact on that, in either direction. I still needed a sleep aid (or a high dose of imipramine), but no more so than without the Rexulti.

I've been on Rexulti for 14 months now as my primary med, and it's wonderful. It has a much better profile than Abilify. I take it in the AM and get some intermittent sleepiness, but not if I take it in the PM. Other than that, no side effects, and it absolutely stopped my depression. It also helps tremendously with my generalized anxiety, but I have to take it in the AM for that effect. Abilify was very activating for me, but Rexulti has not been.

It has been the wonder med for me.

• 1 month later...

Question to those who are taking Rexulti now. Do you think there is any sexual dysfunction? I'm thinking of talking about either Rexulti or Vraylar with my pdoc to replace loxapine and Vyvanse because they should be more on the stimulating side being dopamine partial agonists. My experience with loxapine is that it improves my sex drive somewhat and I notice it when I increase the dose. Has anyone's sex drive improved with Rexulti? Gotten worse? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Very interesting. I've been reading mixed reviews on Rexulti in that regard. I'm reading that some people have to start taking it PM and then have to move it to the AM later. Now it sounds like the higher doses could be more calming than the lower ones. These meds are so confusing. Lol.

Rexulti is sedating if I take it in the AM, and it never fully went away, even after 6 months. Ironically, I switched it to PM, and it's not sedating at all. During the day, it would keep me mildly sedated all day, so I could nap at pretty much any time. I ran the risk of Xanax compounding the sedation if I took even as little as 0.5mg. I'm also only on 1mg of Rexulti, so perhaps it does act differently at the higher doses. I've done AM/PM trials of it for 3-6 months at each timing to give it a good shot. I'm also really sensitive to adjusting the timing of Rexulti, so when I've moved it from AM/PM (or vice versa) it takes me about 3-4 weeks to get acclimated and settled back down.

It's a weird drug, but very effective IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, browri said:

Interesting. Any akathisia to speak of?

Very, very slight akathisia, nothing at all like what Abilify caused. It's generally just me tapping my foot, randomly, like I'm bored. No floor-pacing-unable-to-sit-down-going-out-of-my-mind feelings, which I had a few episodes of with Abilify. Rexulti is far more predictable if you take it at the same-ish time every day.

4 hours ago, dtac said:

No floor-pacing-unable-to-sit-down-going-out-of-my-mind feelings, which I had a few episodes of with Abilify.

This is the reason I had to quit Abilify. I got to 15 mg and that was it.

6 hours ago, browri said:

Interesting. Any akathisia to speak of?

4 hours ago, dtac said:

Very, very slight akathisia, nothing at all like what Abilify caused.

I too experienced a little akathisia on Rexulti. It was while I was up-titrating and on 1 mg. It only lasted for a few days, and only manifested as brief episodes of intense internal restlessness, but didn't lead to me pacing around 5 miles in my house nor did it make me feel like I wanted to crawl out of my skin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 11:08 AM, dancesintherain said:

Hi all,

theres an older thread on Rexulti, but seeing as I've just been prescribed it, I was wondering if I could get an update,

for those who were taking it, are you still on it?

anyone new joined the group of takers?

i guess somewhat more significantly, how does it help with your psychosis, mania, depression, and anxiety?

i don't understand talk of receptors or agonists or things like that, though I guess it could still be helpful in case someone does.  I get that in general it is a patent extender for ability with less side effects.

So I have been on Rexulti for a little over a month now. At first, in high doses like 3mg, I got severe akathisia, but once reducing and titrating slowly to 2mg I had no problem with restlessness. I started at 3mg, a high dose, which is why I got akathisia. After discontinuing, restarting, and slowly increasing this was not a problem. It is doing great for my mood, I haven't had highs or lows except the 4 days after I skipped my medication for 3 days.

I found rexulti to really help me in terms of motivation, getting things done, becoming more organized and time-oriented. It has for sure helped my mania at the proper dosage (2mg). When I was at 0.5mg I did have a bout of hypomania that I fixed with some seroquel. I also have not experienced severe anxiety since beginning Rexulti. Yes I still have times at work I need to take 0.5mg Xanax and my Valium every night for seizure control, but I think Rexulti has helped in this aspect. I cant speak on depression because I experience depressive episodes or moods rarely. 

I really wanted Rexulti to work for me. It seemed so promising what with its pharmacological profile. Unfortunately, I was an unusual case whereby I responded with increased depression and emotional flatness/blunted affect, sedation, orthostatic hypotension, and weight gain as the dosage increased. I only made it up to 2 mg. I kinda wonder what would've happened if I had given a larger dose a try, like 3 mg or something, like if it would've become stimulating. But it sure does hit the α1 adrenergic receptors pretty hard, which may have been why it was so sedating and maybe why I had weight gain.

I did give it another try recently at 0.25 mg and had the exact same results. I guess it just wasn't meant for me. :/

I'm very glad it seems to be working as well as it is for everyone! :)