CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone who has psychosis ever struggle to use the correct words when talking, forget the word for something or when reading something see the wrong words from what is actually written down, e.g. the text is "you select" and you read it as "your secret"?

I hope that makes sense, I'm not to good at explaining what I mean lately.

Yea this happens to me all the time. I tend to use words that are related but not the right word. Like instead of "player" I might say "referee." I often also write down the wrong word. When I was having paranoia, I thought people were controlling my mind and forcing me to type the wrong words as some kind of code. But now I don't feel that way, fortunately.

5 hours ago, Closure said:

When typing I sometimes just write completely different words than I intend on writing, and I often only notice this after the fact after I send or post what I had been writing.

This applies to me as well ^ .

I can also become disorganized verbally and mess up grammar or forget what I'm saying.

9 hours ago, Fantom said:

Does anyone who has psychosis ever struggle to use the correct words when talking, forget the word for something

Yes.  When I forget the correct word when talking, what I do is I'll give the definition of the word, hoping the other person knows what I am talking about.

That is the only way I have found that works for me.

21 hours ago, Closure said:

I also forget the right word to say or write and have to give a definition, but I always assumed this was normal...

Idk if it is.  I think with me though, it isn't normal because I do it so often that it is like how I speak now ... always having to describe something because i can't find the right word.  If I did it occasionally, then IMO I would consider it normal.

• 4 weeks later...