CrazyBoards.org

Is self-sabotage ever OCD-related?

When I get more stressed than usual, I develop symptoms in line with OCD (endlessly looping thoughts, constant checking of locks, tapping on various body parts because I HAVE to, etc.). And when I'm more stressed than usual, I tend to compound it by sabotaging myself. It's as if I have a compulsion to destroy myself. Could that be related to OCD? My symptoms tend to be subclinical, so I don't have an OCD diagnosis, just 'features of OCD'.

Some symptoms you describe overlap with other diagnosis (for example: ruminations/endless looping thoughts are a huge feature of my depression). I think everyone (no matter what diagnosis) can be pushed towards sabotaging themselves & related behaviors. Overall, I don't think it's uniquely an OCD thing.

I think the constant checking of locks, tapping on various body parts because you HAVE to is more typical of OCD.

Edited by Blahblah

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 1:55 PM, Anodyne Oblivion said:

When I get more stressed than usual, I develop symptoms in line with OCD (endlessly looping thoughts, constant checking of locks, tapping on various body parts because I HAVE to, etc.). And when I'm more stressed than usual, I tend to compound it by sabotaging myself. It's as if I have a compulsion to destroy myself. Could that be related to OCD? My symptoms tend to be subclinical, so I don't have an OCD diagnosis, just 'features of OCD'.

I have very similar problems.

If my routine is disrupted in any way I tend to self-sabotage.

And ya stress makes my OCD go out of control.