CrazyBoards.org

Anhedonia in otherwise euthymic states

Ever since the addition of risperdal to my regimen, I've had a lot of improvement in my symptoms. My sleep pattern getting a little strange could shift it on or off one way or another for a bit, but I've been mostly stable for awhile now. One big question, though, is some symptoms that seem to appear to me even though my mood is pretty stable. Notably anhedonia, but also psychomotor agitation. These aren't anything that are causing major harm to me, but I've got concern that the anhedonia specifically is going to really screw me up. I've mostly been experiencing this noticeably for about a week or two, though it was starting to come out of the woodwork before my semester ended. I suppose it was just less noticeable because I had several papers to write and tests to study for.

Regardless, since my job hunting hasn't gone much of anywhere I've been having a really difficult time keeping a decent schedule. I like staying up late because it feels like I'm alone in the house and I'm extremely difficult to wake up. I've slept about 12-14 hours these past two or three days, up from 7-9 hours since my finals ended, and the thing is that I mostly don't feel depressed. I have a perfectly fine amount of energy when I am awake, I'm not overly hopeless, and in fact I'm relatively happy (especially since I received back some very good scores in my finals recently). But the anhedonia is killing me. When I run out of things to mindlessly do, I get so bored that I just go to sleep and I stay sleeping until I just stop falling asleep when I roll back over. 

I know a big key to stability will be getting a job and I'm working on that, but I've got a few questions here.

1. Should I mention this to my pdoc next time I see her?
  2. Should I be worried about this oversleeping triggering a depressive episode? Has something like this ever done it for you?
  3. Does anyone have tips for combating the anhedonia or at least getting on a better schedule until I can get myself a job that'll help stabilize me until school?
  4. Is it considered normal to have anhedonia in an otherwise stable mood state?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacques said:

I know a big key to stability will be getting a job and I'm working on that, but I've got a few questions here.

1. Should I mention this to my pdoc next time I see her?
  2. Should I be worried about this oversleeping triggering a depressive episode? Has something like this ever done it for you?
  3. Does anyone have tips for combating the anhedonia or at least getting on a better schedule until I can get myself a job that'll help stabilize me until school?
  4. Is it considered normal to have anhedonia in an otherwise stable mood state?

First off, thank you for posting this. I have the same exact issue going on right now. My severe depressive crashes stopped, I've been stable for months, yet I cannot get rid of this lingering anhedonia. I feel stuck. I keep very busy so that I do not fall into another deep depression, I exercise, eat right, sleep regularly, try new activities, be social, but I am always going through the motions....no pleasure or happiness in anything. I'd rather lay around & waste time.

Even activities that used to be pleasurable in the past do nothing for me, yet I do not really feel noticeably sad or "depressed." Maybe this is some sort of milder dysthymic pattern I don't know, but I am so sick of putting all my energy into "doing all of the right things" and this apathy/lack of interest not going away.

To answer your questions:

1.) Yes I think you should tell your pdoc, if it is indeed becoming a concern for you

2.) Yes, erratic oversleeping can exacerbate depression (for me) because this throws off my good sleep hygiene.

3.) i don't know a cure, however, I will be starting Ritalin again because i am desperate for a boost to get rid of this symptom. I know there are other meds that have helped others here with this symptom.

4.) I'm not sure if it is normal, however, a previous pdoc told me anhedonia is in fact, a symptom of depression...particularly when severe depression lifts, many people are often left with a lingering anhedonia or apathy that is difficult to treat. It can take some time for it to go away.