CrazyBoards.org

Experiences with nortriptyline

I'm jettisoning doxepin for this. I'm hoping it helps both my depression and sleep, once I'm at a higher dose. Has anyone here had any experience with it? I know it's always such an individual thing, but I can't help but ask. Anyone have any bad side effects?

I tried it and got up to 100mg before giving up........I believe max recommended dose is 150mg/day.

Personally, I didn't have any really bad side effects from it, but it didn't help my sleep much, and didn't help my depression either.

It does work for some though, so I think it would be worth a try.......Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

26 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I tried it and got up to 100mg before giving up........I believe max recommended dose is 150mg/day.

Personally, I didn't have any really bad side effects from it, but it didn't help my sleep much, and didn't help my depression either.

It does work for some though, so I think it would be worth a try.......Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll have better luck, because I'm running out of ADs. 

If the nortriptyline doesn't work out, there are other sedating tricyclics you haven't tried.

For instance, I don't see amitriptyline or clomipramine (Anafranil) on your list of past meds....I take Anafranil, and for me, it's fairly sedating.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

30 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If the nortriptyline doesn't work out, there are other sedating tricyclics you haven't tried.

For instance, I don't see amitriptyline or clomipramine (Anafranil) on your list of past meds....I take Anafranil, and for me, it's fairly sedating.

Those aren't recommended for me. These are the ones on my list:

desipramine (Norpramin®), doxepin (Sinequan®) duloxetine (Cymbalta®) fluoxetine (Prozac®) fluvoxamine (Luvox®) imipramine (Tofranil®) nortriptyline (Pamelor®) selegiline (Emsam®) vortioxetine (Trintellix®

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Tofranil might be worth a look if you want to stay in the same class.

for what it's worth my doc said he's had great luck with trintellix 

I think Trintellix is my next step if this doesn't pan out. It is just simpler to replace doxepin with nortriptyline than to cross taper Cymbalta and Trintellix.

I'm a big fan of Tofranil (imipramine.)  It really hits a sweet spot for me in regards to depression/anxiety/agoraphobia. 

I hope the nortriptyline is a success, but don't lose hope if it isn't. There are quite a few TCA's to try.

I took nortriptyline (I think the brand was called Pamelor?), but I got the same side effects that I get with all tricyclics, namely severe sedation and other-worldliness. If you can handle the tricyclics, I think it is a good choice for depression though.

22 hours ago, Flash said:

I think Trintellix is my next step if this doesn't pan out. It is just simpler to replace doxepin with nortriptyline than to cross taper Cymbalta and Trintellix.

I took Pamelor over a decade ago (can't recall the dosage), didn't do much other than make me drowsy/spaced out.

I've been on Trintillex for 6 weeks (20mg now) and I don't notice a thing (most everyone reports nausea and I don't even have that) Absolutely nothing. As with everything, YMMV I seem to be med-resistant also.

• 1 month later...

I took it for awhile in 2012.  Shortly after starting it, I told my doc that I was having suicidal thoughts.  Instead of weaning me off, she UPPED the dose.  I ended up making an attempt on my life after the increased dose.  Obviously, we took me off after that.  Everyone reacts differently, but it was not a good med for me.  I refused to try any other tricyclic after that.

• 7 months later...