CrazyBoards.org

the onset of depression

there's probably quite a lot of topics like this, but...

i feel myself coming down from quite a spike in energy that looking back now was pretty hypomanic. since being on lamictal my swings aren't as long lasting or intense as they were on just zoloft, but they are still there. i think that i may have pushed myself a bit too much with working on art constantly and doing things with friends and working a lot and not sleeping. i remember a few mornings working on my art and thinking of all the things i'm doing right now and sort of having these weird panic attack like moments but feeling really happy and excited instead of anxious.

for the past couple of days i haven't really been able to be around anyone and i feel quite fatigued and vaguely ill and have low motivation. i planned a last minute trip to Los Angeles in my hypomanic state and was in this funk by the time it started but still looking forward to it. i had a few hangups with transportation and totally called it off, and i just have this rush of relief to be able to lie in bed and not do anything. not to mention i've been having these awful monotonous dreams and a general sense of impending doom.

the trouble is that i'm moving to a new state in one week and i'd really like to get things off to a good start, so i'd love if you could all share some tips for warding off falling into a really bad episode of depression.

Not sure whether I can offer and tips you haven't already tried, but just wanted to say that I feel in the same situation right now and it's rubbish. For what it's worth, here is what I'm planning to do:

- Get outside for a bit each day, and do weights at home

- Cancel all non-essential activities and tuck myself up in bed with a turmeric latte, the cats, and some Netflix. Maybe book a couple of days of annual leave next week.

- Speak up to my doctor(s) and the people around me about not doing so good, while understanding they are unlikely to help

- Focus on low-level things that make me feel good, like showering, or wearing comfy underpants, or buying some fancy cheese, or listening to some soothing music

- Laying off things that make me feel good in an over-excited way

It sounds like cancelling your trip was an excellent idea - enjoy your rest! And don't be too strict with yourself about getting off to a good start in your new state. It's nice when it happens, but even without mental health problems that sort of upheaval can be bumpy for all sorts of reasons. 

Do you have a plan in place with your doctor about what will happen if you realise you're sliding into depression? And has s/he sent that plan ahead to your new doctor, so that you don't end up having a gap in your care at exactly the time when you need extra support? Do the people around you know how to tell if you're getting worse, and what to do about it?

Try to get out of the house at least once a day, even if just to go to the library or an aimless walk down the Main Street. I think staying at home a lot makes things so much worse, but it might be a chicken vs egg kinda thing.

On 5/21/2017 at 5:47 AM, Mr_Turtle said:

Not sure whether I can offer and tips you haven't already tried, but just wanted to say that I feel in the same situation right now and it's rubbish. For what it's worth, here is what I'm planning to do:

- Get outside for a bit each day, and do weights at home

- Cancel all non-essential activities and tuck myself up in bed with a turmeric latte, the cats, and some Netflix. Maybe book a couple of days of annual leave next week.

- Speak up to my doctor(s) and the people around me about not doing so good, while understanding they are unlikely to help

- Focus on low-level things that make me feel good, like showering, or wearing comfy underpants, or buying some fancy cheese, or listening to some soothing music

- Laying off things that make me feel good in an over-excited way

It sounds like cancelling your trip was an excellent idea - enjoy your rest! And don't be too strict with yourself about getting off to a good start in your new state. It's nice when it happens, but even without mental health problems that sort of upheaval can be bumpy for all sorts of reasons. 

Do you have a plan in place with your doctor about what will happen if you realise you're sliding into depression? And has s/he sent that plan ahead to your new doctor, so that you don't end up having a gap in your care at exactly the time when you need extra support? Do the people around you know how to tell if you're getting worse, and what to do about it?

those are good ideas for self care, it's always hard to shake the anxiety of not being "productive enough" but those things are very important

i'm coming from a rural area where consistent mental health care is rather difficult to access- the doctors and therapists i have seen have mostly been great but i haven't been able to see the same one twice or schedule regular appointments for therapy or counseling despite my best efforts.it takes up so much of each appointments to get through all the same details over and over that i typically can never get to anything too important.

but fortunately i'm moving back to a city finally and i have friends who know their way around the mental health care there, so it should be at least easier than navigating it here.

12 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

Try to get out of the house at least once a day, even if just to go to the library or an aimless walk down the Main Street. I think staying at home a lot makes things so much worse, but it might be a chicken vs egg kinda thing.

i agree! sitting around doing nothing makes one more lethargic and tired, yet you're sitting around doing nothing because you're already lethargic and tired to begin with... i always have to try really hard to remind myself of that when i'm feeling down haha...

On 2017-5-22 at 5:35 PM, bagels said:

it's always hard to shake the anxiety of not being "productive enough" 

I've started experimenting with two approaches that seem to be working surprisingly well:

* Formally declaring (to myself and the cats) a state of mental emergency, where the normal rules are suspended and my main goal is to do a fantastic job of relaxing. I make a point of saying 'well done' to myself for each relaxing thing I do, such a listening to soothing music, or wearing comfortable socks, or whatever. 

* Committing to doing something totally unproductive (e.g. watching medical dramas) but at the same time doing 'undeclared' productive stuff like mild aerobics or folding washing.

On 2017-5-22 at 5:35 PM, bagels said:

i haven't been able to see the same one twice or schedule regular appointments for therapy or counseling despite my best efforts.it takes up so much of each appointments to get through all the same details over and over that i typically can never get to anything too important.

but fortunately i'm moving back to a city finally and i have friends who know their way around the mental health care there, so it should be at least

Yeah, that's a pretty familiar feeling! Especially when they want to get into all the backstory before even getting to the present complaint. Urgh.