CrazyBoards.org

Do Antidepressants Affect Your Love For Someone?

Hello! I just wanted to know people's experiences with antidepressants and romantic love for someone. I know they can affect libido but I was concerned about how you feel for someone.

I was just started on Zoloft about 2 weeks ago and was very concerned on this topic because of personal reasons. Basically, me and someone that means the world to me split because we need to work on ourselves. He still cares and sportively comes over each week and there is hope for the future. But I get worried that this drug will mess with that and eat feelings and destroy it. I don't want that to happen. Some people claim that it doesn't and then (while I know maybe I shouldn't, I still do) I look to the internet for reassurance and get scared, especially about Zoloft.

Any experiences? Does it blunt emotions? Or helps because you feel better? Good or bad because I'm searching for truth so I can decide if I want to take another approach because dang I love him and I don't want this person medicated out of my life. <:(

Edited by LifeLemonPie
Misspelling

I've been on my fair share of ADs. In my experience, the blunted emotions are generally a function of the depression, not the medication. When you start talking about APs and mood stabilizers, it's another matter sometimes. That said, I have a genetic trait that renders most SSRIs pretty much worthless, so keep that in mind. I hope you find a solution thatvworks for you.

I think you just have to monitor your moods and see a difference good or bad, ask the people around you first.. they are the first to tell. And it's important to be honest with each other. And who knows this drug could work so well for you and it will help the relationship. For me when I love someone it overpowers my depression. It's almost stronger than any anti-depressant. As corny as that sounds. :)

Edited by KnickNak

I'm with Flash in that the depression was more of an impediment to my relationship than the antidepressants.

I did have some trouble with anorgasmia at first, but that subsided with time. Plus, the AD helped me get my desire back, so that helped a lot with my relationship as well.

I will admit that SSRIs blunt or numb my emotions, but being in love is not a fleeting emotion. I mean, you will know that you love this person and want to be with this person even if some of the passion is numbed by the med. In other words, you won't fall out of love due to the medication.

The thing is, as other posters have said, that depression itself can affect your love for someone and your passion. In a perfect world, we would have meds without side effects that would remove depression and anxiety. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world. But, as I have said, I've never had a med cause me to fall out of love with someone.

Your best bet for both you and the person you love is to treat the depression so that you can be there 100% for them.

If you just started a medication, you actually need to give it the time to work, first off. I, myself am also on Zoloft. I take 100mg, plus a 50mg of Lamictal to enhance it, so i might as well be on 150mg of Zoloft. I stopped taking my Lamictal, (all on my own, and no I do NOT recommend doing this.) and that was a bad idea. I've not been very stable with my meds lately. It seems that if you take your meds around the same time, each day, everyday, they work the best, IMO. They did that with us when I went to the mental hospital. My anxiety is being an asshole again though, we've had a lot go on lately, which I made a post about, because I'm like confused. And scared. :/ When I'm not stable on my meds, everything gets shitty again. that's generally how that goes. My boyfriend is Bipolar though, so you have a Borderline, and a Bipolar, trying to date. It's hard enough as it is for those two illnesses to get along just in a friendship, so I've heard. They are so similar. And they are. That and we're both Leos (zodiacs), so we have that "no I'm right, so fuck you" mentality. Neither of us likes being wrong. It's kind of funny now that I'm talking about it, because it sounds like we're five and arguing in a play ground. But, antidepressants do help with relationships. Everyone's different though. A lot of medications take up to two weeks to fully take effect. Give it the time it needs. 

• 1 month later...

Imho you will still be able to love and everything, but it will be suppressed a bit.

You won't be as passionate as you once were, while on the medications.  

That's been my experience, it doesn't remove the emotions, but it lowers them.

I agree with everyone the post that says depression is worse though.  Depression makes relationships almost impossible to maintain.

Edited by BrianOCD